Author Topic: .45-70 dies  (Read 385 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
.45-70 dies
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:53 AM »
Since the .45-70 is more or less a straght cartridge, does that mean they can use carbide dies like my .357?
I would also think the .45-70 wouldn't require case trimming either, is that right?
GH1
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .45-70 dies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:44:05 AM »
Since the .45-70 is more or less a straight cartridge, does that mean they can use carbide dies like my .357?
I would also think the .45-70 wouldn't require case trimming either, is that right?
GH1

It's a straight case, but I do not know of any carbide dies for it. But you are correct, its not one that needs allot of trimming. Generally its lower pressured and without an expander ball in the resizing die, it doesn't get "pulled" longer when resizing...

Its a easy to load for caliber!!

Enjoy,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:00:19 AM »
If it doesn't have an expander dies, how difficult is it to seat the bullet?  And since there are no carbide dies available I'm going to neeed cast lube, right?
GH1 :)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
it will have an expander like a pistol die set. and you will need it.  from what I understand there are no carbide dies because even though it is "straight" it actually is tapered. 

you will do good to load for the .45/70. I never have shot factory ammo for mine but I have looked at the prices and they are out of sight.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
If it doesn't have an expander dies, how difficult is it to seat the bullet?  And since there are no carbide dies available I'm going to neeed cast lube, right?

Not a expander...an expander ball in the resizing die. In a bottle neck case loading die there is a slightly under caliber sized "ball" that gets pulled back thru the nect to give final size. This is where many cases get streached by incomplete lube and why many cases need to be trimmed. Straight cases generally do not have this.

IIRC in RCBS the 45-70 is a group B set. meaning its a three die set, resizer, expander/mouth bell and a seater die.

YES, you will need to use case lube.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads up gentlemen, looks like I'll have to bust out the case lube.

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:21 AM »
1) the 45-70 is not a straight wall cartridge, it does have a taper, which is the reason there are no carbide dies for it, like there are for the 45LC, 44mag, 357mag,etc.

2) I do believe at one time there was a site posted here that produced a carbide die for the 45-70, but it could not be used as a true carbide sizer, since it would still require lubing, due to the case taper.