Author Topic: ruger old army adjustabe to fixed sights  (Read 1647 times)

Offline 243shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ruger old army adjustabe to fixed sights
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
has anyone tried replacing the front sight on a ruger old army with something more traditional like a 1858 front sight? i like the old army, but the adjustable sight look on a cap and ball revolver bugs me. i hate to sell the gun. my dad bought it for me quite awile ago and i like everything else about it.
I'm just a bitter Christian clinging to my gun.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: ruger old army adjustabe to fixed sights
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
I doubt there is anything one can do with the Old Army to make it resemble a real C&B revolver. It's just a modern revolver built to be loaded the old fashioned way, whether with fixed or adjustable sights. You have to appreciate the Ruger for what it is, a big, heavy, rugged, reliable and accurate revolver built to last several lifetimes. But there is nothing you can do to it that will make it look natural with a buckskin shirt.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rdstrain49

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »
Two choices.  Live with it.  Ruin a fine weapon.

Offline Uncle Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
Ruger also made them with fixed sights. Stainless or blue, 5.5" or 7.5" barrel.

I've been real lucky, and found a few for a reasonable price. :)  I've also paid a lot of $$$ for a couple of them. :-[

IF your ROA doesn't have great sentimental value (being from your dad), trade or sell it and get one with fixed sights.

As long as you're not a traditionalist/purist who requires an accurate historical replica, they sure shoot nice! ;D

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:49:33 AM »
You can have Hamilton Bowen weld it up and convert it to fixed sights, but for the money you could just buy a fixed sight model. And maybe a couple repro Rem '58s as well.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."