Author Topic: Opinions Needed  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Opinions Needed
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
I found this Win 70 XTR in 6.5x55 SE listed on GA.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/959122074/Guns/Rifles/Winchester-Rifles-Modern-Bolt-Auto-Single/Model-70/Post-64/Winchester_Model_70_XTR_6_5x55mm.htm#

I am desperately seeking a modern action 6.5 Swede that I can afford. The Winchester are usually selling for $1000 or more and so the price on this one has me interested. The only problem I currently see is the salesman's use of the word "used." There is no mention of what makes it used or even an overall condition. Looking the pictures over, I see a few things that concern me. #1, the bolt's jeweling looks odd. #2, there seems to be rust or some other blemish on the bold shroud and safety. I'm gonna call the shop tomorrow and ask more questions and see if better pictures are available.

BTW, I am a big fan of Teflon based coatings and have seen some gems come from some old and well worn makeover guns. So for all you purists out there, YES I would cover that beautiful Winchester bluing if it was rusted down to the steel.

What are your thoughts and concerns?

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
Re: Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:29 AM »
Hard to tell from the pics about the jeweled bolt or safety, except that neither looks like a showstopper.  I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  A Swede was (and still is) on my "want list" when I snagged a Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmore for $49 less than your GA price tag. 
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
Notice the price on the tag, 645.00 and it states it has a 21" barrel?
Not sure about that length.
Sounds odd.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
"BTW, I am a big fan of Teflon based coatings and have seen some gems come from some old and well worn makeover guns. So for all you purists out there, YES I would cover that beautiful Winchester bluing if it was rusted down to the steel."

Me too!  I had my Winchester 88 Black-T finished in 1992 and it held up really well in SE Alaska.  I have forgotten who did it, it was an outfit in Missouri... Birdsong comes to mind.  They did a phenominal job, even the plug screws for the scope mounting holes were done.  I was a little taken aback that the bolt was black, but I have no complaints about how it worked out.  Rain, saltwater, more rain, nothing has phased it.  Of course you have to keep the bore greased, and I keep a coat of Turtle wax on it, but I am very please with it.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
Notice the price on the tag, 645.00 and it states it has a 21" barrel?
Not sure about that length.
Sounds odd.
LONGTOM

LT,
  I had the same thoughts, but realize that an inch difference in bbl length could be made from improperly measuring it. I'm gonna cal and see if they're open now. More to follow.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:25:20 PM »
The rifle has been marked, SPF.  Their phone numbers sound like they're really fax lines. >:(

Thanks for your thoughts and input, I'm gonna keep looking.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
[The only problem I currently see is the salesman's use of the word "used." There is no mention of what makes it used or even an overall condition. Looking the pictures over, I see a few things that concern me. #1, the bolt's jeweling looks odd. #2, there seems to be rust or some other blemish on the bold shroud and safety.]

FWIW, IMHO you're worried about nothing -

"Used" means it has already been sold at retail before, IOW, it's not from the factory.

IMO, it looks pretty much the same as my pristine 6.5x55 M70 FW, except for the throw-away scope.
The pics suck, the bolt's look is most likely due to the pic - and a blem on the bolt shroud is a no-brainer.

At that price level, it's a steal - I certainly wouldn't sell mine for anywhere near that little. 

BTW, since it's posted as "SOLD" - was it you that did the dirty deed ?   ;D   ;D

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
BTW, since it's posted as "SOLD" - was it you that did the dirty deed ?   ;D   ;D

Nope, I wish.  :(

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
   8)   - please check your WTB Classified for pics, and your PM's.   :)

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !