Poll

Semi-auto pistol versus revolver, which is best in accuracy for production guns?

Revolver
9 (30%)
Semi-automatic
3 (10%)
Single shots that use pistol cartridges
18 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Revolver versus semi-auto, which is more accurate?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Revolver versus semi-auto, which is more accurate?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »
another question is which will stay accurate longer  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
The longer I own and shoot my guns the less accurate they become.
Wonder if that has anything to do with me getting older.
HUMMMMM---might start a poll on this about my ownself.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »
I voted for the revolver.  My only reason is that i had a colt python w/6" barrel in 357mag for some reason it always shot high at 25yds.  This one day while shooting with a family member(local leo) I had my 357mag 140gr JHP speer reloads with me.  I said for him to watch the small rock on the berm at 100yds.  I pinged it for all six shots.  He was amaised at how accurate it was. The revolver was dead on at 100yds with my 140gr reloads.  Now my norinco 1911 will shoot one clover leaf per mag at 25yds. using wolf ball ammo.   But its still a work in progress in building it. I can't rate it yet.

A revolver having good accuracy is a matter of the craftsman who built it.  Wether its thrown together or the craftsman takes pride in his work/craft matters if its accurate or not. Were kind of at the mercy of the assembler who is building the revolver.  With the auto we can make changes down the road to make it more accurate to a point but we can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  Were going to reach a point were it is what it is and live with the accuracy were getting out of either the revolver or pistol right?

Accuracy= Is the quality of the gun, the ammo and if we do our part.  If all things come together at the sametime we have good accuracy.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:12 AM »
I own both revolvers and semi autos and like to shoot both.  I have owned semi autos that will out shoot many revolvers I have owned and vice versa.  There are always exceptions to the rule.  However, if you are talking about the average I would have to say that on average the revolver will win as being generally more accurate (I have owned and shot well over a hundred different pistols and revolvers in my life).  So why use autos you may ask and the answer is simple.  More fire power and faster reloading.  These are important issues for a gun used for self defense or military use.  You will see no army using revolvers to any degree today and very few police forces either for that reason.  For a hunter a Revolver is a good choice as high volume and fast shooting are not required and at the same time more powerful loads are.  It is also a good choice for an individual for self defense as high volume and rapid reloading is not an issue for most self defense situations.  As for single shot pistols the ones I have owned were potentially more accurate than either revolver or semi auto but they are not for use for self defense or military use.  I have generally found them to be neither fish nor foul.  They are not quite as good as a rifle and not a useful as a revolver or semi auto except for some specialized target sport or hunting with a handgun.  Personally with the exception of small game I use a rifle to hunt with.