Poll

Semi-auto pistol versus revolver, which is best in accuracy for production guns?

Revolver
9 (30%)
Semi-automatic
3 (10%)
Single shots that use pistol cartridges
18 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Revolver versus semi-auto, which is more accurate?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Revolver versus semi-auto, which is more accurate?
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »
For those who have both semi-automatic handguns and revolvers, in rimfire and centerfire, what has been your experience for being the most accurate design between the two?  For kicks I will add single shots that use handgun cartridges, even though most shooters don't use them from what I have witnessed at the range.

I have 2 cartridge revolvers made by Ruger, the single six .22 is ok, and the .357 GP 100 is very accurate.  I have read that the model 1911 is supposed to be the most accurate centerfire pistol ever made, hunters seem to prefer revolvers.  Yet, the 10 MM is known as an effective big game round.

I have modified this quesiton to concentrate on ranges under 100 yards, single shots that use only handgun cartridges, and run of the mill factory production handguns.  When you get into high end custom stuff the only limits are the shooter and how specialized the gun becomes.

Sorry about it being initally vague on requirements.

Thanks.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: Revolver versus semi-auto, which is more accurate?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:18:22 AM »
I think you're going to get very skewed results here with lots of bias.  I wouldn't compare revolver to semi-auto to even single shot.  There are varying degrees of accuracy that can be achieved by each group depending upon the quality of the firearm, barrel length, chamber design, etc.  Semi autos will fall short in such a comparison if you decide to include accuracy at distances out to and beyond 100 yards.  For the most part, they will fall completely out of the competition at those distances.   Inasmuch, the results obtained from such a poll will be inaccurate and not very meaningful at best. 

You might want to add qualifiers to this poll if you want it to have any meaning.  Qualifiers such as; no magnums, 4 inch barrels or less, at distances up to 25 yards, etc.

By the way, don't be fooled; there are A LOT of single shot shooters out there!  Probably the most active thread here is the NEF/H&R thread.  Although they are not pistols, they are, nonetheless, single shots!

Hands down, my single shots beat them all!  But here again, I'm shooting rifle calibers from them.  Does that count in competition against a 1911 semi auto?  NOPE!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:11 AM »
Yes, that is tough to answer without some stipulations. In rimfires I find many autos to be generally more accurate than most revolvers.  In centerfires I find most revolvers to be more accurate than most out of the box autos but I have never owned a high dollar custom built auto, some of which are remarkably accurate. But then too, I've never owned a custom built revolver, some of which are also said to be remarkably accurate. So I guess if we boil it down to common, out of the box guns, I'd say rimfire autos and centerfire revolvers are probably the more accurate.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
Revolvers used for hunting are larger calibers or heavier bullets like .44mag, 500 SW mag, or .357mag  thus having greater range than semi-auto pistols.  At short self defense ranges like under 25 yards, some semi-autos will beat the revolvers.  Your .22 revolver if a Single 6 Ruger will more than likely be more accurate with the .22 mag cylinder than the .22lr cylinder because of the gap the bullet has to jump before hitting the rifling in the barrel while a .22lr semi-auto pistol might be more accurate than the single 6 in lr version.  A single shot pistol like TC will probably be more accurate than all. 

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:16:03 AM »
I have owned, and do own a bunch of accurate handguns, both revolves and semi-auto.  There are way to many variables to give you a straight answer here.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »
Redhawk, do you own a single shot?

If not, he voted for revolver.  See how this poll can be skewed and doesn't give accurate results?

Not saying here or there to Redhawk, I'm just trying to make a point here with the original poster to this thread. 

There is a qualifier for the poll;  you can only vote if you've had the opportunity to own and shoot all three.   ::)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »
I have owned both and what I have seen is it depends on the gun. Each type has mechanical limitations that effect accuracy . Everything from how the bbl was rifled and quality of the tool used to who holds the gun effect accuracy.
As for a 1911 being the most accurate all I might say is ya might find one that could fit that bill but as a whole doubt it. I can't speak for all hunters but I use a big bore revolver to hunt because i get the most power in as small of a package as I can. Desert Eagles are a might bigger than a Redhawk.  ;) Back in the 70's a couple guys wrote for Sports Afield or one of the rags were going grizzly bear hunting with Browning High Power pistols using machine gun ammo. Never saw a follow up article  ??? ::) . Then Uncle Ted hunts in Africa with a 10 mm. And I have carried a 10mm before but not as my primary gun.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »
Ya, I would think you would have to put a dollar limit on the handguns.  A very accurate starter pistol 22 would be a Ruger bull barrel Mark II – you can move up a notch with the SW Model 41 and then you enter the Olympic class pistols, which have been taken over by the Europeans,  such as the Russian IJ35 & IZH35, Benelli’s, hammerli’s Feinwerkbau’s etc.  For 22 revolvers you have the Freedom Arms, which is held in high regard.  Most all 22’s will shoot well with the right ammo. 

As for center fire – you have several semi-custom & custom pistol makers out there that will produce 45ACP’s for example, that will shoot just over an inch at 50 yards. 

Out of the box, low dollar value, with factory ammo – pretty close but if there was an edge it might go to the revolver in center fire and the pistol in 22 caliber.  High dollar – probably the revolver by a whisker in center fire - again the pistol in 22 caliber.

You get what you pay for but you better know what you want/need and have it built to your specifications, as there’s a lot of custom revolvers out there that look great but don’t shoot all that well.

It’s like this – you pay good money for a pistol that has a written guarantee that it will shoot a certain ammo at or under 1.5” at 50 yards, while you can’t consistently shoot a 4” or 5” group off-hand at 50 yards.  Makes perfect sense to me.     

Offline flintlock

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »
I'd say it's a case by case issue...

My Ruger Mark II is accurate enough that I have squirrel hunted with it and only took head shots...But...It's a .22...

My Glock 23 in .40 outshoots my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with factory ammo, but it may be that I haven't found the right ammo...

My Blackhawk 50 Anniversary in .44 Mag outshoots both the Glock and the .357...

I don't own a single shot but my brother does...It's a T/C and I consider them short rifles... :)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
Kind of like asking which are more fun blonds or brunettes.   Depends a lot on the particular ones your talking about.   Also are we talking about first shot accuracy or group sizes?   In either case my guess (and that is all it is) is that in the high end, custom made class I would give a slight edge to a custom revolver over a custom auto but not by much.  As far as off the shelf guns paired dollar for dollar it's too close to call.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »
Apples to apples.
I have 2 45 ACP guns.
One a revolver, Colt 1917
the other an Auto, Sig P220 Sport.
Caliber and barrel length are the only tow places these are comparable.
the sights are different- Fixed trench and small blade Vs adjustable 3 dot target,  grips are different Worn military Vs over sized target.
Now if we moove to the Model 29 and use 44 Special ammo in it (44 Special is equal to 45 ACP in bullet weight and speed)
it is a toss up.  I think either is as accurat as the other and have used both for target shooting making a huge hole in the 10 ring with both.
When you compare my rimfires the single shot that is made for my hand and is olympic grade free pistol beats any of my other 22 Rimfires, be they auto or revolver.  but then again it costs almost as much as all 6 of the others together.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
I like Semi-autos a whole lot more tha revolvers.
I do think, overall, a revolver can be mor accurate or is on the whole more accurate. Just not enough to overcome the semi-auto in fire power.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
I like Semi-autos a whole lot more tha revolvers.
I do think, overall, a revolver can be mor accurate or is on the whole more accurate. Just not enough to overcome the semi-auto in fire power.
Blessings
William,
If you look at two defensive handguns apples to apples the semi auto is going to be more accurate.
Only because the fixed sights are better on the semi auto.  They are larger and more defined than the fixed sights on most revolvers.  The extra few or doule the ammo is usually not a factor in accuracy other than it makes the gun heavier and reduces recoil making multiple shots faster.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »

If not, he voted for revolver.  See how this poll can be skewed and doesn't give accurate results?

Not saying here or there to Redhawk, I'm just trying to make a point here with the original poster to this thread. 

There is a qualifier for the poll;  you can only vote if you've had the opportunity to own and shoot all three.   ::)

Not anymore, I was a big Encore handgun (short rifle) shooter for a long time. Oh for sure I could get great accuracy from my Encore's, as I could get the bullet close to the lands and groves, and work up an one hole tack driver. My Encore pistol rounds consisted of the 44 Mag, 454 Casull, 460 Mag, 410 GNR,  510 GNR, 500 Mag, 30-06, 7mm08, 223, 22-250 and even a 375 H&H pistol length barrel. All were tack drive's.  I would say that most single shot pistols can be turned into the most accurate of the 3 listed.

But the main question was Revolvers and semi-auto's, so I focused my answer to the topic.. Also I did not vote for any of them.. But if I did, it would be the single shot's.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline schuetzen

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
I thought this was an interesting video on the topic of accuracy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVzSAm5VhfE
‎Is it really Zombie Max, if it's not .357 Max?

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »

Very good video.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:47 AM »
That was a good video and really says about what I was sayin---and I think---what we all are saying.
My comment is based on out of the box. I don't think you have to do more than get used to a revolver to be accurate with it-----I am not accurate, with any.
The semi may take a little more tweaking to make it as accurate and reliable.
It is a very subjective conversation.
I am enjoying.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »

Not anymore, I was a big Encore handgun (short rifle) shooter for a long time. Oh for sure I could get great accuracy from my Encore's, as I could get the bullet close to the lands and groves, and work up an one hole tack driver. My Encore pistol rounds consisted of the 44 Mag, 454 Casull, 460 Mag, 410 GNR,  510 GNR, 500 Mag, 30-06, 7mm08, 223, 22-250 and even a 375 H&H pistol length barrel. All were tack drive's.  I would say that most single shot pistols can be turned into the most accurate of the 3 listed.

But the main question was Revolvers and semi-auto's, so I focused my answer to the topic.. Also I did not vote for any of them.. But if I did, it would be the single shot's.

Sorry, at the time you posted, someone voted for a revolver so I figured it was you when you posted your first entry.  It didn't make any difference anyway, I was just trying to make a point that the poll needed more qualifiers in order for it to make any sense.  Otherwise this is a useless discussion. 

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »

Thanks for posting the video.  I couldn't agree more with what ol' Hickok was saying.  I guess the point I was making is that there are hardly any autos, with the exception of a few, that can compete with magnum revolvers and single shots with rifle calibers when it comes to anything out past 100 yards.  When it comes down to it, they're all pistols, right?  That's why I suggested qualifiers.....but as we see, Hickok45 said it well for the under 100 yard reasoning. 

Poll complete;  all are the same!

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:29:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I modified the queston to limit the handguns to production guns, and single shots that use handgun cartridges as some of them are really short centerfire rifles. 

I have found over the years that in .22 rimfire, my semi-autos like the Buckmark and Ruger Mk. 2 and 3 shoot better than my Taurus, Harrington and Richardson, and Ruger single six revolvers.  My centerfire revolvers like my Taurus .357 magnum, Smith and Wesson 28, and my Ruger GP-100 shoot exceptionally well, seems to be better than my centerfire semi-autos.

In small concealable handguns, the semi-autos do the best.  Yet, my preferred carry gun is a revolver for the simplicity.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
I watched the guy shoot the 45's OK what did he tell us ? The OP was which gun , we are past what the guy stated. I have seen many shooters that can call their shots . They can shoot a gun and know its accuracy . How they have control over their shooting. They can shoot to same point of aim every time and know when they upset the blance. The guy has some good points but there are more good shooters out their than he admits IMHO.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
I'm not one of them fellers. :'( :'(
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rybo

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »
I've got some really accurate hunting revolvers. I've never shot my semi's at comparable distances to compare. But I bet I could get pretty close to the same accuracy with them to 50 yds. MIght be something to try the next time at the range.
And although i haven't shot it much yet, the little I have I think my contender is going to be on a whole nother level.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:47 AM »
I would guess alot of people don't have a range where they can shoot over 50-100 yards. I would say if they did and tried it they would see many guns are capable of it. I have shot more revolvers long distance because at distance the energy is still enough to knock over a 54 lb ram. But I have seen Browning High Powers do a respectable job and also a Sig 226 nither has alot of power left at 200 yards but both are pretty accurate .
 As the guy points out most guns out shoot the shooter I agree but the placement of a bullet on a target is a combination of both and the better both shooter and gun start out being the smaller the finial group will be. One thing he said I don't agree with and in spades with regard to plastic guns . A machine rest dosen't always give tightest groups . Same can be said for a lead sled .

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:50 AM »
Shootall, you could be right relative to the mechanical rest, however, I’ve never seen a man outshoot one. 

I’ve seen the Ransom rest at work and it’s no simple matter using it, as it takes a little adjustment after each shot to “make everything right” for the next shot.  If the person setting it up isn't familiar with it - it might be just a big waste of time but if he knows what he's doing, it's a thing of beauty. 

Those 10-shot one ragged hole groups at 50 yards are something to see done, as is a 5-shot group at 100 yards under 0.1” with a benchrest rifle indoors.  I don’t know about y’all but it boosts my confidence in that firearm when I see it done, cause after that it’s all me, there’s no excuse for a miss – and I can miss as good as anyone out there, but it’s not the gun’s fault. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 04:43:26 AM »
I have with a plastic pistol , maybe a fluke  ??? , they don't have removable grips .......

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:35 AM »
I think you're SOL using a mechanical rest with the plastic gun.  Sorry, I misunderstood your post, as I didn't realize you were just refering to the "molded" plastic guns.     

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:10 AM »
The adapters are not so good I was told. With someone who knows how to set up the machine and operate it the result can be eye opening .

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
My pistol shooting is pretty limited other than I used to carry a .22 pistol with when pheasant hunting (for squirrels and rabbits) and for several years my only .22 was a pistol. My Ruger .22 pistol (the longer barreled target model) with a scope sight would shoot 1-inch groups at 50 yards off a rest. I replaced it with a S&W Model 41 and have a scope for it on quick-detachable rings. It will also shoot 1-inch groups at 50 yards off a rest. I have read a number of test reports for .22 revolvers and none were that accurate, so I say that for .22's an automatic is more accurate. In regard larger bore centerfire guns, I've read a lot of test reports and from the results it appears that a large bore hunting revolver is hard to beat for accuracy. Maybe a pure target type auto would be as good, but not any of the defense type autos.

Offline quasne.inc

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
I think it depends on the shooter.  I personally shoot revolvers better, to the point I am considering getting rid of my autoloaders so I can get more revolvers.  It doesnt do me any good to have a gun I cant defend my family with.  And it isnt fun to go to the range and not hit things.  Not sure why I shoot them better, but I do.