Author Topic: What if . . .?  (Read 911 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
What if . . .?
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »
I write fiction and fantasy and sell it to magazines.  (I make about twelve dollars annually.)  Anyway, I thought I'd liven up this place by presenting some made-up scenarios.

1 – You’ve been diagnosed with a disease that leaves you 3 to 4 months to live.  For the purposes of this scenario, the prognosis is confirmed and reaffirmed.  ‘Tis for certain you will die within the assigned time.  You decide that your last 90 – 120 days will be spent with loved ones, or within natural surroundings of your choice, in prayer, or whatever you might want.  Wherever it is you imagine yourself at such a time, you are confronted with a human antagonist that will kill you (not anyone else, just you) if you don’t kill him first.  You have one or two seconds to decide.  A firearm is within reach, and you have a good chance to take him out before he kills you.
Decision:  Go out fighting because that’s what you believe – kill the aggressor because he’s a threat to society and deserves to die – let him do you in so that you might avoid the agony of those last diseased days. 

2 – You are functioning as a family man on your way to work.  You drive upon an accident scene.  A truck has overturned and pinned the driver, but he’s not severely injured.  The truck is burning.  For the purpose of this scenario, there’s no chance he’ll be rescued before the fire gets him.  You have your carry gun on your belt.  The stricken man sees it.  He begs you to shoot him before the fire takes him.  You can’t do it, and you tell him so.  Yet, he pleads and pleads.  The fire is getting closer, and eventually laps at the man who cannot possibly be extricated in time.  You smell the burning flesh.  You see the agony in his face and you hear it in his screams as he begs you to shoot him.  All of your arguments (you’ll go to prison, you’ll go to hell, help is on the way, etc.) do not begin to touch his fear of burning to death.  Do you stand by and watch him burn?

3 – A deranged person has taken an infant as a hostage.  He’s holding the baby with one hand and pointing a pistol at you with the other.  Police are minutes away, but can’t possibly arrive before the crazy person shoots you to death.  Directly behind him are numerous bystanders including kids.  If you miss, someone innocent is hit.  He fires.  The bullet creases your arm.  You are against a physical barrier; can’t back up or run.  He fires again, the bullet striking you low in the stomach.  Another round from his auto pistol creases your head and you can’t see clearly.  Whether from blood in your eyes or from the pain, you cannot see the sights of the gun you have raised to defend yourself.  You know the lunatic is going to fire again as quickly as he recovers from the recoil of the last shot.  Your vision is blurred . . . you see the gun that will kill you . . . you see your killer taking another step toward you . . . you see an infant wearing a diaper.  Do you risk a shot and possibly survive, or do you hesitate and die?

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: What if . . .?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
1- shoot the SOB
2-I don't murder people
3-I would drop to the floor and shoot at an upward angle and above the innocent behind him .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bigbird09

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:43 AM »
1-Shoot the guy and enjoy what time I have left
2-Would not shoot because even if it would be a service to him,  you still would have murdered the guy.
3-Same as SHOOTALL,  hit the deck to give a nice upward angle so a miss will be over the heads of the those in the rear.  If I didn't have a clear center of mass shot I would try to disable his gun arm then do a follow up.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

novice shooter, gunsmith, reloader, that is always open to help, tips, and tricks.

Malin v17/.17HMR, Handi-rifle/.223, Mossburg 500A/12g, Winchester 1300/20g, CVA eclipse magnum/.50

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:58:41 AM »
1) Kill him because if he's willing to try and kill me he's willing to kill someone else and if I can stop him from doing that then you can bet you rear end I will!
2) I carry a fire extinquisher in my vehicle. Nuff said!
3) as already said

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
I once had a supervisor who was in great conflict with his upper management.  Many times he told me that they (upper management) had better hope " I don't get no fatal diseases" as he played with a film can full of empty 9mm brass.  Unhappily he had a stroke in his office and was vegetablized, always wondered what the other outcome would have been.  Could be another chapter in your short stories.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »
1.  Shoot
2.  Don't shoot, I had an uncle who lived through this exact scenario. 
3.  Head shot.  Practice it!
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
1. shoot and spend the time I had left with family

2. I would not watch someone burn to death.

3. once again I would shoot the instant he pointed his
    weapon at me.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".