Author Topic: Soda can mortar  (Read 2720 times)

Offline prospector86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Soda can mortar
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Well, decided not to go with a large mortar sense I wouldn't be able to move it to well, so I'm looking at soda can size, was wondering if anyone here has any dealing's with these guys, if so how are they. Thanks for the input.
 Eric
     http://blackpowder-cannons.com/index.htm

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Soda can mortar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
Sure have,  Dom is one of our sponsors and he builds one heck of a cannon.

Here's my Dom Dictator pop can mortar.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
He is my Dom built dictator mortar.

I am quite pleased with it.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Lee1966

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
I got to get one of them. I got one of Dom's Breach loader cannons and am VERY happy with it.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »
Well, decided not to go with a large mortar sense I wouldn't be able to move it to well, so I'm looking at soda can size, was wondering if anyone here has any dealing's with these guys, if so how are they. Thanks for the input.
 Eric
     http://blackpowder-cannons.com/index.htm

I would say stop worrying about it and order one already. The only thing you'll regret is not having one. I just took mine out today :)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Hey, Prospector86, Dom made me a Golf Ball caliber Thunder Mug, love it! You would not go wrong with one of his Cannons or Mortars. Check out the stickies and you'll find some excellent talent here on this forum! I have pieces from several of our sponsors, and am happy with all of them....... BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline lance

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »
 I have 3 of Dom's masterpieces, and am well pleased with them.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
I got a Doms soda can mortar, Made it a  little  longer barrel. When you lite the fuse your be save, Its made right. Joe

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
Sounds like I'll have to order one here in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to get one now  :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:37:03 AM »
More incentive---rolling thinder-click on picture to start video.

Offline lthardman

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »
I have a Dom built soda can mortar - love it.  Excellent construction, fit, and finish.

Offline willdj79

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:28:30 AM »
Hi prospector86,

Can mortars are a lot of fun.. and ammo is always easy to find. Here are a couple mortars that i have built. The shiny one on the left i built and sold to a friend of mine, i kept the one on the right because it looks more authentic. I just started building the complete mortars to sell, before i was just machining the barrels and selling them on an auction site..My next mortar i plan on building is a coehorn style block carriage which looks a lot easier than the curvy siege bed in the picture and will sell for less. Let me know if i can be of any help.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
Nice mortars...wife says nice kitchen.  She also said if I put mortars on the table like that she would hurt me.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
a Coehorn style block carriage which looks a lot easier than the curvy siege bed ...

Having made a couple of block mounts, I will tell you that inletting the block for the back of the mortar is the most time consuming part of making the whole piece.  Unless you make some tooling that will cut the cavity on a machine.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline willdj79

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Nice mortars...wife says nice kitchen.  She also said if I put mortars on the table like that she would hurt me.

Well tell your wife thanks for the complement. My wife fell in love with the kitchen and that was a big selling point for moving here..

a Coehorn style block carriage which looks a lot easier than the curvy siege bed ...

Having made a couple of block mounts, I will tell you that inletting the block for the back of the mortar is the most time consuming part of making the whole piece.  Unless you make some tooling that will cut the cavity on a machine.

Yeah i cant really say that i speak from experience from making one. I plan on making the bed laminated with 2x6 oak or maybe  2x4. With 6 boards wide and using the middle 4 for the cavity and trunnion. I can see where matching that radius can be a pain. Did you use chisels or any power to to help.. I have a good sanding drum that i can use on a die grinder.

Offline willdj79

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
Sure have,  Dom is one of our sponsors and he builds one heck of a cannon.

Here's my Dom Dictator pop can mortar.

I really like that mortar. Do you care to explain to me what the levers do? I haven't got to take a close look at a real one up close so i am wondering what the mechanics are.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »
Did you use chisels or any power to to help.. I have a good sanding drum that i can use on a die grinder.

Used chisels on the large one and chisels and a Dremel sanding drum on the smaller one.  Dremel seemed faster though hard to compare considering one was twice the size of the other.  In theory, you could make a cutter the same shape as the rear of the mortar and use that to get the vast majority of the material out.  Depends how much experience doing that sort of thing you have.  I would do it if I were making several of the same size.

... explain to me what the levers do?

One of them rotates an eccentric axle to raise and lower wheels, the other rotates the wheels to point the mortar.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
One lever rotates the eccentric axle so the wheels lift up the front of the carriage.  Then the levers can be used  in the wheel along with handspikes to move the mortar back in battery or to rotate.  The lever at the rear changes elevation.

George beat me to the punch!!!  Gotta watch him, he's fast

Offline willdj79

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
thanks for the info on the levers. I didn't know that the dictator mortar had wheels. It sounds like it was more technically advanced than the large seacoast mortars where the had to use large wooden poles to change direction. If you have a picture or know where one is of this mechanism on the real or a replica it would be greatly appreciated. Also that picture of your mortar Double D looks huge almost like the shot is bowling balls.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
Trick photography...

I was up at the range and saw this wind blown pile of gravel....

By the way if you need some of those round balls for your pop can mortar they are posted in the group buy sticky in the Cannon classifieds.  The mould will be at rotometals until June when I will have it sent back up here for folks to use when they come up for the cannon shoot 9in August.

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
Google  Dictator Mortar and then look to the left and click on the images link.  Lots of Dictator pictures and you will be able to see the details...