Author Topic: Scout/Apex/Optima Elite frame stretch?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scout/Apex/Optima Elite frame stretch?
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
As I sit here pondering on whether to send one of my H-R frames in to be fitted with a Huntsman .50 ML barrel or just buy a CVA, I'm curious about something. H-R Handi rifle frames have been known to stretch slightly with the higher pressure centerfire cartridges. Enough that one either has to send the rifle in for repair or you are forced to repair it yourself. It has been known to happen in as little as 500-1000 shots. Not a bash of the brand, just one of the Handi's many 'quirks'. I understand that the Scout/Apex is a newer firearm and that there may not be a frame out there with enough shots to be 'battered' around enough to stretch or just be 'sloppy'. But there should be enough older Optima Elites with centerfire barrels that have been shot enough for this either to occur OR enough shots to prove that this does not happen with CVA products in general. Was this a problem with those frames?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Scout/Apex/Optima Elite frame stretch?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
i havent read anything about an OE, Apex or scout frame stretching.

Do you really need a swap barrel though?  Reason i ask is if you already like the handi but not sure about getting it fitted for  a 50cal barrel, why not get something simple like the new cva optima muzzle loader?  $225 and stainless steel.  To date, its one of my most accurate muzzle loaders i own and with a good amount of other bullets.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
My standard barrel OPE has around 1200 rds. through it and will still shoot .3" at 100 yds. Its one of my best PD guns. Its at least a 95 % gun at 300 yds on prarie dogs.(Some were even farther.) Frame stretch?It has a 300 win mag barrel on it now,and still is shooting good. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »
Anyone else? Come on guys I'm BEGGING for info here!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
Anyone else? Come on guys I'm BEGGING for info here!

Not much to say when you havn't heard of the problem with stretch with these rifles. That should tell you alot.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline CScape

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
As far as Apex goes, my thoughts are that there have not been enough rounds down range yet, and it's still too early to tell, unless CVA did large caliber 1000-round-plus frame testing (usually done only on the barrels) and will share their data.  McGarity himself said that CVA was having problems getting the Apex frame into the hands of the consumer, so I doubt that there is anyone out there that has fired enough heavy recoil centerfire ammunition to really test the Apex frame yet.

I have .270, .45-70 Govt., and 300 Win Mag barrels that I have fired on a single frame, but less than 200 rounds total...I mean who REALLY wants to sit there and pound through a couple of hundred rounds of those calibers at the bench anyway...too costly for the wallet and the shoulder!  My barrels still lock up solidly and tight, but they are still new...ask me again after a couple of years of range and field use.  ...CC...
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.