Author Topic: ankle holster - j frame  (Read 2755 times)

Offline homebuilt

• Trade Count: (4)
ankle holster - j frame
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
i just purchased a smith and wesson 360 (j-frame .357), i'm interested in getting a ankle holster for this gun for summer time. i never wear shorts, but have been known to go without a shirt, leaving a hip holster useless. i've never owned a ankle holster before, so i know nothing about them. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i will also be getting a crossbreed supertuck for it as i love the one i have for my 1911.

Offline GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ankle holster - j frame
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
I used a Renegade for many years with j frames, excellent and comfortable.

http://renegadeholstersdirect.com/page2.html

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »
Back in the day I always wore my J frame, (36 and then a 442,) in an ankle holster. Most comfortable ankle holster I ever wore was a Fobus.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Think about it. Do you REALLY wanna hafta tell the bad guy to wait while you bend over to reach that ankle holster? Seriously?

I'm just not a fan of them I'd as soon leave the gun home.

Now iffen you are talking about a back up to your primary carry gun OK maybe but as a primary carry gun? I sure hope you never need it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline fm2

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
I really like the Renegade model #50. It was one that was recommended to me by one of the lead instructors at Rogers shooting school. I tried it and it worked really well.

One place ankle carry works well for drawing from a seated position.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:10:25 AM »
My solution to the delima may not fit your mind, but it is how I do it.
I just made the conscious decision that I would alter my dress to accomodate the need.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »
I would suggest the Renegade as well b/c you asked about an ankle holster.

The only advantage an ankle holster has, is if you are shoved to the ground.  Which might be a good thing for a police officer's 2nd backup gun.  Any other situation, it's much slower to get to.  I would suggest a pocket holster instead.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
Think about it. Do you REALLY wanna hafta tell the bad guy to wait while you bend over to reach that ankle holster? Seriously?

I'm just not a fan of them I'd as soon leave the gun home.

Now iffen you are talking about a back up to your primary carry gun OK maybe but as a primary carry gun? I sure hope you never need it.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  I want my CCW where I can get my hands on it ASAP... if I don't already have a hand on it that is.  ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
Good points about the ankle rig not being as available. But a gun on the ankle beats yelling for help any day!

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Problem is, if you can't reach it when you need it then it may as well not be there at all for all the good it will do you. In fact, if you can't reach it, then yelling for help will most likely do you more good.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
I routinely do Pilate's and yoga. Reaching the ankle is not a problem in a tactical situation. Ok you got me. I have a beer gut and I'm getting old, but then again I don't carry in an ankle holster anymore! It's still better then leaving it in the glove box.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 04:16:45 AM »
Why are the only options ankle or leaving it in the glove box?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:28 AM »
My solution to the delima may not fit your mind, but it is how I do it.
I just made the conscious decision that I would alter my dress to accomodate the need.
Blessings

YEP !

I would add after trying a bunch of ways to tote a J frame mine ended up in my front pocket in a pocket holster .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline alacharger

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 02:51:29 AM »
Ankle holsters are hard to draw from in a standing position.  BUT, they are really good for seated positions, like in a car.  Whereas a pocket holster is all but impossible to draw from while in a car, an ankle holster is quite comfortable and readily available.  Just remember to wear pants long enough to cover the holster.  Nothing like sitting down in a public restaurant, and having someone ask why you have a gun strapped to your ankle. 

From standing, the best way to draw is to kneel on the opposite knee from where the holster is, keeping your eyes on the target.  Pull your pants leg up a mite with your off hand before doing this will make the draw easier.

I use a Gould and Goodrich ankle holster for my 640-1 and my 642 airweight.  I mostly use them when traveling, so the gun will be available without being left in the vehicle. 
Approach every man with a smile on your face and homicide in your heart. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline shot1

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 03:42:05 AM »
I tried an ankle holster once. That was enough for me. I felt like I was walking around like Chester on the old Gunsmoke TV program. I would get a pocket holster or do as I did. ALTER YOUR DRESS to fit the situation.

Offline homebuilt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
thankyou all i appreciate everyones advice and opinions. i will check out the holsters mentioned(sp) along with some pocket holsters. this will not be my main form of carry, but it might come in handy at times. thanks again. any other opinions would be appreciated.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 02:54:32 AM »
Yes the pocket holster can be hard to draw from while seated in a car. I would add that also seated in a car an ankle holster while not as hard as a pocket holster is still slow. The concept of self defense is to be ready , to be ready the gun must be close to hand. I slip my gun from my pocket to under my leg as I enter the truck. It is an easy move . Back in the 70's I had a car full of thugs try to force me off the road one night on the interstate. It was a section of road that became famous for the parkway murders . I would not have wanted to draw from an ankle holster at the speed i was driving .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 07:30:15 AM »
That's why I like my Fobus holsters. I carry my P-32 as back up and when driving it, in the Fobus holster, clips nicely to my visor, between it and the roof of the car, providing easy access to the P-32.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:46 AM »
OK , I won't get into the mouse gun thing  ;)

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »
OK , I won't get into the mouse gun thing  ;)

I'd stick my 9mm up there but even the PF-9 is too heavy. The visor won't stay up with it attatched. :) The really good solution is when I wear my 511 Tac shirt. All I have to do is reach inside the top of my button up shirt, I leave the top 3 buttons undone, to access my 9mm. As I said, the .32 is back-up. ;)

As to mouse guns? I'll tell you like I once told a detective who made fun of my Sheriff's model 1851 Colt Navy .36 . It's killed a lot of people and they are just as dead as those killed with a .45!  ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I agree the visor won't hold much weight .
The 36 navy is no mouse gun ,
Both 32 and 22 cal in mouse guns have killed many long after the shot in their long run but I tote to stop now not kill later .
I admit to some the 38 out of a 1.78 bbl. is about as much as a 9mm out of a 3-4 inch bbl. I like the new round with every pull of the trigger .
I also like the gun by my leg as I don't need to reach up alerting the attacker.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
I agree the visor won't hold much weight .
The 36 navy is no mouse gun ,
Both 32 and 22 cal in mouse guns have killed many long after the shot in their long run but I tote to stop now not kill later .
I admit to some the 38 out of a 1.78 bbl. is about as much as a 9mm out of a 3-4 inch bbl. I like the new round with every pull of the trigger .
I also like the gun by my leg as I don't need to reach up alerting the attacker.

Yes, that can happen but I find myself still amazed at one shot kills with a .22 too. It's not so much caliber of a bullet but where you put it. As I said, the .32 is mere back up. I'm not saying a .32 is a one shot stopper but the present .32 is far better than the old .32's which is something few take into consideration. What do you think of the  .327? Been toying with the idea of getting one. Also, have you seen the holsters designed just for when driving or sitting down? They fit sideways on your belt rather than up and down so you just reach accross and slide your weapon straight out.  Might be a good option. I like the idea of multiple weapons in multiple locations. More chance of being able to reach one when needed.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:11 AM »
I got one of the first 327 SP101's I came across . a few weeks later i found one box of ammo. My take is this its about a nice 38+p . Out of a 3 inch bbl that is. The added round could be a good thing. Would I trade in my 340 PD for one nope.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:51 AM »
I got one of the first 327 SP101's I came across . a few weeks later i found one box of ammo. My take is this its about a nice 38+p . Out of a 3 inch bbl that is. The added round could be a good thing. Would I trade in my 340 PD for one nope.

That's mainly why I was just "toying" with the idea. If I get another pistol it will probably be another PF-9. I'd like to have a pair.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
Look at the Galco Ankle Glove, that is what I use for BUG.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline alacharger

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:35 AM »
Yes the pocket holster can be hard to draw from while seated in a car. I would add that also seated in a car an ankle holster while not as hard as a pocket holster is still slow. The concept of self defense is to be ready , to be ready the gun must be close to hand. I slip my gun from my pocket to under my leg as I enter the truck. It is an easy move . Back in the 70's I had a car full of thugs try to force me off the road one night on the interstate. It was a section of road that became famous for the parkway murders . I would not have wanted to draw from an ankle holster at the speed i was driving .

My only argument with your statement is the seat is not a secure location to transport.  Secure in that if you are involved in even a minor collision event, or even a rapid "slam on the brakes " event, you may lose the firearm to the floorboard or worse.  It happened to two of the agents in the infamous "Miami Massacre" of 1986.  SA Richard Manauzzi and SA John Hanlon lost their revolvers because they had laid them on the seat of their vehicle in anticipation of a shootout.  Manauzzi's actually went out the door of his car during the resulting collisions.  Hanlon was able to reingage with a BUG, but not effectively.  Also, Ben Grogan was much less effective than he could have been...he lost his prescription glasses during the collisions, and was for all practical purposes, blind. 

I personally know of this happening to a local Police Officer as well.  He laid his 6" service revolver on the seat of his patrol car, and it slid under the arm rest...where he couldn't retrieve it without major manipulation that he didn't have time for during a foot chase.  He ended up chasing and tackling an armed felon while he was unarmed. 

Just some things to consider when deciding how to carry while in a vehicle.

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 04:32:01 AM »
If carrying, while driving, is an issue you might want to look into the holsters designed for easy access while sitting or driving. The answer's as easy as that. They are worn sideways on your belt as a crossdraw.

Offline alacharger

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 04:59:16 AM »
I tried a cross draw several years ago with poor results.  I was a mite "portly" at that time, and it either gouged my stomach, or was so far around to my side that I couldn't reach it.  Since I lost 110 pounds, I need to try one again. 

I have never had any trouble accessing a gun in an ankle holster on my off leg while seated.  I bring my knee up until my left foot is close to the seat, and then reach down and draw the weapon.  Only a moderate lean forward is necessary.  I typically carry one there, and in the center console of my vehicle.  The one on my ankle can remain there while I exit the vehicle with nothing more than a dress shirt and jeans...I have to stop and put on a coat or other concealment clothing if I am carrying on the belt. 

D.A. "Jelly" Bryce

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:38:47 AM »
I carry on my belt  but always wear an untucked shirt if not wearing a jacket. The P-32 and PF-9 are both very easy to conceal. Basicly, the best way to carry is whatever works best for you as we are all differant with differant needs.

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Ever heard of the "Clip Draw"?  It replaces the right grip of a M-36/60 et al S&W revolver with a grip panel having a protrusion that hooks over your belt or pants .  One of the best LEO UCs I ever worked with carried his M60 that way for yrs.  They make several models.  I have one from my SA 1911A1 that fits under the grip panel that hides a big gun like a dream under a good belt!  I was an LEO for 4 decades and carried lots of ways in more than one country, including ankle holsters.  At times even a SS Detonics 3" 45 and a Para Warthog 45 on my ankle.  The Clip Draw is better, more convenient and will hide anything under anything except something like an "Under Armor" tee shirt.  Check Brownells for models and prices.