Author Topic: Reloading Kit  (Read 667 times)

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Reloading Kit
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
My buddy bought a RCBS Rock Chucker Deluxe kit last year.  He's been working up all kinds of loads and really enjoys it.  I bought dies for my 357 and we've got loads for them now.

I want to buy my own rig and start reloading my own.  The RCBS is well made but it's not cheap.  The Hornady looks nice too, but costs about the same.  The Lee kit is more affordable, but I don't want to regret buying an inferior product.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcomed.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
Re: Reloading Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
Most all of my reloading stuff in Lee.... I have never regretted buying Lee products. Cheap price but quality stuff. Buy the Lee kit and take the money you saved from the RCBS kit and get yourself some dies and stuff.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »
Ill put it this way. If you know for sure that loading is something your going to do for the rest of your life buck up and buy the rcbs or hornady. If it may just be a passing fad in your life buy the lee stuff as you wont be out much if you decide loading isnt for you. Both will make equally accurate ammo but once you use quality loading gear the lee stuff seems like toys.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »
Its really simple Buy cheap buy twice buy quality buy once ! Same goes for guns !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:05 AM »
Ill put it this way. If you know for sure that loading is something your going to do for the rest of your life buck up and buy the rcbs or hornady. If it may just be a passing fad in your life buy the lee stuff as you wont be out much if you decide loading isnt for you. Both will make equally accurate ammo but once you use quality loading gear the lee stuff seems like toys.

Well said Lloyd!! I agree.

The sweetness of a good deal quickly sours when the reality of an inferior quality product is realized.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
All of my gear is RCBS that I picked up used. There's nothing wrong with used gear, buying used is a great way to save some money.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
Hello, dks7895.  I agree with GH1.  Years and years ago, before I even thought to start handloading, Old sporting goods store was going out of business..most of merchandise already gone by the time I found out about it.  Back in a dusty corner was an old dirty cast-iron press.  I asked if that was for sale..I think I gave him 10 or 12 dollars for it.  Took home, cleaned it up & there it sat for several years.  When I did get into handloading, I learned on that old press..used it for about  ten years..and finally decided old girl needed a face lift..the least I could do for such great service.  took apart & stripped old paint.  That was one of hottest summers in long time..sprayed several coats of black crinkle finish paint & set out in hot sun.  Opp. handle polished & blued, parts polished up...She looks new and works just as fine as ever..this is a big cast-iron  "0" type press..I have done  bullet swaging with it.  Later I did buy a new Bonanza Co-Ax...But that old C-H has a special place on my bench.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
Most of us end up with an extra press or two over time anyhow. I would buy the Lee and decide whether loading is something you want to do or not. If you really get in to it you still may not need anything more than a lee if you do mostly light stuff. I have two presses now and have had three at times.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
All of my gear is RCBS that I picked up used. There's nothing wrong with used gear, buying used is a great way to save some money.
GH1 :)

Me too, saved 40-50%. Now that you know what's in the "kit" what he uses and what he don't it's easy to pick up stuff a piece at a time. The Rock Chucker is nice and I've had little trouble turning out great ammo with the Pardner an I got that press for $30.  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
Well my "cheapo" lee classic cast presses which have thousands of rounds through them both don't seem to be a fad passing with age.

The lee classic presses are good.  No doubt. 

The powder scale is a little cheap with the kit though.  I would get the lee classic cast kit, then buy a rcbs 5-0-5 scale, a rcbs uniflow powder thrower, and a lee auto prime.   Or wait...  I did. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
I use a RCBS press (first one) and a Lyman turret press for pistol calibers. But I like the Lee dies the best. I think the Lee turret press would work fine for pistol calibers as well. I have no experience with Lee cast presses so won't make any comments on them. However I recommend that you pick up a Lyman reloading manual--above all of the others. I have had the best luck with the RCBS uniflow powder measure--had terrible luck with 2 Lyman #55 powder measures (junk IMO).  I don't tumble brass any more--I use  the Lee case trimmer shell holder and spin the brass in a cordless drill and use scotch bright to polish the brass--much faster.

Watch the reloading equipment forum here at GB and you will come across everything you will need to get started, used ,for reasonable prices, if you take your time and be patient.

cybin

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
+1 lyman reloading manual. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."