Author Topic: FYI - 60 minutes and out!  (Read 618 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
FYI - 60 minutes and out!
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:30 AM »
I'm sure that everyone but foghead me is on to this already, but with the new server you've got to remember to check 'stay logged on' when you sign in, or you're going to pay the consequences. I just had a long post go poof because my 'session timed out while posting', and boy does that bring back some un-fond memories.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: FYI - 60 minutes and out!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »
I think there also may be some reboots going on.   Not sure.  I lost a post also night before last and got an error message say server not found and then second later the server was back.

It's always, good to right click on a post, click on select and then select copy, before clicking on post, particularly a long detailed post.  If you do that and the system hiccups , you wil be able to paste the copy material when you reopen the reply...now if I could only learn to practice what I preach.... :)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:30 AM »
It's always, good to right click on a post, click on select and then select copy, before clicking on post, particularly a long detailed post.  If you do that and the system hiccups , you wil be able to paste the copy material when you reopen the reply...now if I could only learn to practice what I preach.... :).

I'm going to be doing that from now on. I haven't lost a post like that for quite a while.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
I was told to click "preview" every once in a while, when typing. ???
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
I use the "keep me logged in" feature, but I've still had the refresh time out when posting long posts.  I'm usually pretty good about practicing the "copy all" on those long posts, but on small ones I usually don't bother.  I've lost a few small ones, but they're not a big deal to retype.  Of course, my wording usually changes a little.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
The best way to type a long post is to type it in Notepad or Wordpad and cut and paste it into the GBO message screen.  No timeouts in Notepad or Wordpad.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
I use the "keep me logged in" feature, but I've still had the refresh time out when posting long posts.  I'm usually pretty good about practicing the "copy all" on those long posts, but on small ones I usually don't bother.  I've lost a few small ones, but they're not a big deal to retype.  Of course, my wording usually changes a little.

If my memory is sound, when I first came here the 60 min. default was set up and you had to check 'stay logged in' when you signed in, but then Matt must have changed the default to 'stay logged in', because I don't remember having clicked it for the longest time. I wonder if Matt could do this again for absent minded folk like me. :-[

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »
Done deed!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:05:15 AM »
If you have that checked, so long as you don't press the "logout" button, your cookies should remember you're logged in, and next time you navigate to this site, you should automatically be logged in.  Of course, if you clear your cookies, that won't work (mine are set to clear on a reboot, but I rarely restart my computer, so usually I just click a bookmark that takes me straight to the cannon forum, logged in and ready to go).

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
Yeah, but I'm not talking about staying logged in indefinitely. I always logged out (unless I forgot) when I was done on the board, but when I'd come back later and log in again I don't remember having to click on 'stay logged in', so I wouldn't time out after 60 minutes.