Author Topic: Old Fort Jackson  (Read 571 times)

Offline coastalgun

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Fort Jackson
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
Since I live here in Coastal GA I make my rounds pretty regular to all the sites   thought I'd share some  pics of the Old Fort Jackson Mtn Howie that gets fired , The Blacksmith for the coastal heritage society just rebuilt the carriage and she looks good as new ,   For those that haven't visited the coastal forts ever or in a long time  Ft Jackson is getting some well needed work done to it but seems the Army corps of engineers wants to (blow up) the resting place of the CSS Georgia to allow expansion of the river .So here's a few pics and one of my newest fullsize howie firing , sorry no can in the pic just trees ,hope they  post .

Offline lance

Re: Old Fort Jackson
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
COOL PICS!!! Didn't they bring up all the cannons from the CSS Georgia, or is there still more down there?
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline coastalgun

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
In 1986 divers brought up two of the ship's cannons, ammunition, and other artifacts. in 03 they sent divers down to map the wreck using sonar and global positioning satellite technology

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:29 PM »
Are there still sailor aboard the Georgia?  Can they  disturb a grave?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »
Can they  disturb a grave?

I think they get around that by exhuming the remains and reburying in some nearby cemetery, usually with some degree of ceremony.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline coastalgun

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
The Georgia was scuttled by her crew to qoute the account (On the evening of December 20, 1864, the Georgia's Confederate crew scuttled her in front of Fort Jackson to keep her from falling into Union hands. The Georgia sank quickly. As one Confederate officer noted, he had just enough time to retrieve his sidearm and sword before the Savannah River swallowed the ship.)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
Coastalgun, that is an interesting side note of history, thanks for sharing it with us! And, welcome to the forum...I may be a bit late for that, haven't been paying real close attention! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline coastalgun

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome , New to the GB forums was told by a industry friend to come here as i had been building  BP cannons for for years for myself just as a hobby to relax as the daily grind was getting hecktic , So heres a pic of this weeks project  was kinda bored and found some wheels on a cart/buggy in the scrap pile and had a vision so this was my 6 hr start to finish project ( included can on this pic as per instructions  ) 1/2" bore no design just kinda winged it and tada . Having enough equipment helps so as  not to infringe on this foums rules you can add a  .com  to my username to see what i normally do its like the yen or maybe the yang from BP stuff  ::) . Hope to keep coming back here as its more laid back .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
For those that haven't visited the coastal forts ever or in a long time  Ft Jackson is getting some well needed work done to it but seems the Army corps of engineers wants to (blow up) the resting place of the CSS Georgia to allow expansion of the river .

Welcome aboard, coastalgun! It has been some time since I've read The U.S. Navy's policies on U.S. Navy shipwreck sites, but as you can read in the link posted here, it wouldn't be a simple process to destroy one. Especially in a case like this, I'd think that there would be an outcry from historians, underwater archaeologists, and the general public that live in the area, and the Navy wouldn't want to take that kind of heat. If it became a necessity to clear this wreck from the river, I'd guess that the Navy would try to remove everything they possibly could from the site; but then again, with a government organization, who knows?

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq28-1.htm
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »
2003 Underwater site survey report. http://lowery.tamu.edu/resume/CSS_Georgia.pdf

Offline lance

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:57 AM »
2003 Underwater site survey report. http://lowery.tamu.edu/resume/CSS_Georgia.pdf
Good Stuff and interesting to read, one book i have lists the CSS Georgia armed with 4- 6.4" Brooke rifles, and 2- 10" Brooke smoothbores.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »
Agreed, interesting pdf DD, and long; I still haven't finished it from early this morning.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.