Author Topic: I need some info---  (Read 425 times)

Offline michstew

• Trade Count: (0)
I need some info---
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »
When did H&R start using plastic on the trigger guards and forend spacers?  michstew

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I need some info---
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
I'd have to guess back in the 70's, maybe much earlier in many models, seems to me the Model 157 had steel parts, it was made '75-'83. It may be real hard to know for sure since H&R used to offer steel parts as an accessory(FAQs), but they're no longer available, haven't been for quite a while now.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline michstew

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
Reason for asking is My brother in law own's a quite large machine shop. Since it seems to be a problem with the manufacture of metal replacement parts for our pet guns, I called him and asked if he would be interested in making those parts. He is at a trade show on the east coast and will be back late this weekend. He told me to give him the parts in question, so he could see them. Another member has told me that he would send one of each. Do the trigger guards and forend spacers interchange between models? Thanks very much!!  michstew

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
Anything made in the last 30yrs or so is the same, there may be some minor differences in older pre '87 frames. I wouldn't get your hopes up, several sources have made spacers, but the trigger guards are another matter, they're very complex as a machined part, Talley worked on the project for about two years and bailed out finally, they said it's on hold, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

I've sent spacers and trigger guards to at least three possible sources for mfr, hasn't happened yet.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,138087.msg1098537958.html#msg1098537958

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline michstew

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
thanks for the info. If is made of metal my brother-in-law can make it. His CMC machines are begging for work. When I get some parts, I will go and show him ,45 miles one way, but since I hate plastic anything, I will make the effort!!    michstew

Offline michstew

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
Sorry, I hit the wrong letter/  CNC machines    michstew

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
I have a model 148 shotgun with a plastic guard and spacer.  It is old enough to be pre- transfer bar, and I believe it is late 50's era, or early 60's.  The only one I have personally held that had metal also had the conventional side lever latch release instead of the current design....??

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)