Author Topic: off topic, but don't see a place for it...  (Read 763 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
off topic, but don't see a place for it...
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:38 AM »
This is in regards to an old syrup kettle/ rendering pot that I have obtained. I know this is off topic for the forum, but it is a "metal" question and you guys always seem to know the answers on metal. This may be better suited for an "antique" forum, but I haven't found one here.

Here goes:

I've been looking for one of these for years to use as a firepit in my backyard. Finally found one that I am making a trade for.  As I'm getting ready to set this up in my backyard, one of my friends tells me that the fire will likely bust/crack it since it is cast iron.

Are yall familiar with these kettles?  I read of others who use these as firepits, but I don't want to risk ruining it.  I have seen others cracked, but was told they usually are cracked because they are full of water and freeze/thaw repeatedly. These kettles are close to 100 years old and seem to usually sell for around $1000, though I've seen them sold for over $4000.  I paid much less for mine, but finding another would likely be tough...

Any experience or thoughts on the risk of fire cracking one?  They are about 1/2 inch thick or more and weigh close to 400 pounds. 

Here is a link to a picture of one:  http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-80-gallon-cast-iron-syrup-kettles

thank yall

nitrosteel

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: off topic, but don't see a place for it...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »
It's called a hog boiler here but southerners besides hogs, might boil sorgum for syrup. We boil sap from maple trees and use a flat pan instead. I assume you are from the south with your affectation, "yall". Mine is at least 2" thick , uncracked, outside for over 100 years in the mountains up-north.  They were also used to boil the laundry after winter let-up in the early spring.  Mine was free as it was still on the farm, being used as a trough for the cattle. I dragged it back to the house with chains behind the tractor and used it as a BBQ.  I partially filled it with sand and a layer of fire brick. I doubt your will crack with its use as a fire-pit.  Rapid heating or cooling cracks them if they are empty.

Read this fast because it will be canned. Here it is under snow with wood sticking out.

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »
 ;)  What caliber is your pre 1898 cast iron pot?

I like the idea of lining it with firebrick or one of the mix-it-up and smear it on the inside of your furnace compounds. 

But then if I went that far, I'd build the firepit lined with firebrick and enjoy the looks and function of the iron pot to make a brunswick stew for the whole neighborhood.  I'll leave rendering the hogs to those who do it for a living.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:28 AM »
Just for youse; I trudged out in the snow with a tape and shovel. It's 48" Tim. 

We've seen water cooler jugs launched but this will be

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiigsss innnnnnnn spaaaaaaaace!

Heat your hearts out M&T :'(

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »
Hmmm....let's see..48" bore x 2 oz per inch...umm...(where's that decimal go?) .. um...divide by 16...(fiddles with slip stick)  HOLY CARP!  That's SIX POUNDS!
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
I'll bet it doesn't have a separate powder chamber - might not want to risk a full service load!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
   NitroSteel,   I have used all sorts of cast iron objects in wood fire conditions, but never had a pot like one of those.  None of the pans or large pots ever cracked, but with something that thick and historically unique, I would error on the safe side and use some firebrick as others have suggested.

Richard the Instigator,  as for your comment,  11" is our high limit in steel, but there is another way for someone to achieve construction of a 48 incher.  I've always dreamed of doing a 36 incher in reinforced concrete with lots and lots of concentric rings of re-bar with walls about 3 feet thick and a concrete shot poured into a sand backed paper-mache and large beach-ball mold.  The only trouble is the high cost of materials and the property upon which to build and shoot it.  Too much for a one shot deal.

Pigs in space, indeed.

Tracy and Mike

P.S.  We have been to Peekskill, NY where they made those rendering kettles.  We have a customer in Croton-on-Hudson which is north of West Point about as much as Peekskill is south.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
I traded a nice smoker (250 gallon propane tank) I'd built. had about $300 plus time in it. it is very nice...  Someone gave me the tank and I had alot of scrap metal laying around also.

The other part of the trade (coming to me) is a MAX4 amphibious 6 wheeler.  It needs a carb kit, and a little tlc, but I think I can get it going for very little.

i'm happy and he's happy.  The new smoker I'm building is out of a 500 gallon tank, so I didnt really have a use for 2 anyways....  I'd like to trade the max4 for a 4 wheeler or gun at some point, cause I really don't need it either.  Really just wanted the kettle and enjoy metal projects.

with the mixed things i'm reading, I'm almost hesitant to build a fire in it now.

thank yall for your help.

nitrosteel

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »
Croton-on-Hudson is south of Peekskill.  "Cornwall-on-Hudson" is north of the Point and north of Peekskill.  The FBI used the range at Camp Smith in Peekskill.

RRC

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »
     Crotons and Cromwalls are Cornfusing!  Thanks Richard.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
Syrup boilers are wide and shallow, with a wide, flat rim (the rim is important). A rendering pot will be much deeper, more like a kettle.

The syrup boiler is also useful for scalding hogs to scrape the hair.

Made many batches of cane syrup in these.

They can crack for any number of reasons but ice is probably the worst offender. Our boilers had been in use for several generations and were not cracked.

If you plan to leave it outside, make sure there is no water or snow in it when the temp drops. Best bet would be to keep it covered when not burning.

Personally, I would rather see a serviceable boiler used for it's intended purpose. Original, unbroken boilers are getting harder to find, and they really aren't made to be fire pits.