Author Topic: Mercury filled reducer or just add weight?  (Read 739 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Mercury filled reducer or just add weight?
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
Looking to reduce the recoil of my Ultra Slug 20 gauge a bit. It has the laminated thumbhole stock with the Pacmyer recoil pad. I was thinking about carefully boring a hole in the rear of the thumbhole stock under the pad and either installing a mercury filled reducer or simply filling the hole with lead shot and some epoxy. What say all of you? Is the high cost of the mercury filled aparatuses worth it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Mercury filled reducer or just add weight?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
MRRs aren't that expensive if you know where to look, but whether you'll be able to tell the difference between just lead and the MRR is debatable.  ;)

Tim

http://mpcsports.com/candhmercuryrecoilreducers.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
WOW! That's not bad at all. I was looking at them in the Brownells and Midway catalogs and they are twice as much. But I'm still wondering if say 12-14 oz of lead/epoxy would be the same as a 8 oz mercury recoil reducer???? I've got the Brownells AccraGlas and lead on hand so I guess it's free.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »
I've got a stevens single 12ga with the lead & epoxy solution in the stock, then a slip over recoil pad. Before my Dad passed away firing the big gun was painful. It points funny, but it does help alot with the recoil. The only difference I could see between the options you described is the additional 6oz of weight on the back (14-8). How long is your barrel?

And once you put lead & epoxy in the buttstock, its not easily reversed should you change your mind later.
held fast

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
Either can be added without being permanently affixed, just use the butt pad to trap the weight in place, I use leather washers to keep the MRR or lead filled pipe in place, works fine and can be removed when you like. Lots of tips in the FAQs for adding weight, some like lead shot.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
I researched comments online (for what they are worth) and decided that unless a MRR comes my way very cheaply that I would try the weight (the price is right). I used buckshot in the std stockbolt hole (unlike yours which will be more trouble regardless). The way it threw the balance and handling off and didnt reduce felt recoil enough for me, though it may for you, meant I didnt continue use.
What is working is another 'slip-over' recoil pad on my recoil pad equiped stock. For me, the extra 1"ish length of pull is not objectionable and easy enough to try. If you like it ,but its too long, you can shorten the stock as a last resort.
The other way to reduce recoil in a meaningful way is to use reduced weight projectiles and/or reduced velocity loads. They are available and the physics of E+MC sq./equal & opposite reaction will again prove true.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:15 AM »
Try this website too...

http://mercuryrecoil.com/

I ordered a mercury recoil reducer from them and they custom cut it fit my stock bolt hole.  I don't remember the exact price but it was not substantial.  Of course, lead shot and epoxy would be cheaper but I change out my stocks when I go from deer gun to turkey gun so that is not an option for me.

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
Thanks!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:44:15 PM »
Another way to tame a kicker a bit is to take a hard grip with the hand on the forearm. Not to try to hold the gun away from you, that would probably make you a pretty poor shot, but just to keep your hand in place on the forearm and increase the weight of the gun. Works for me when I think to do it.