Poll

If Redfield started MFG Widefield's again Would you Purchase one?

Yes
14 (82.4%)
No
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 15, 2011, 01:57:09 PM

Author Topic: Redfield widefield  (Read 2505 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Redfield widefield
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
If Redfield reinstated the Widefield line again using Modern MFG Technologies Would you Purchase one?
I miss my little 4X one.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: Redfield widefield
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
I would buy more than one if they would leave it the same but for up dating the glass.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »
In a heartbeat, I loved those Denver scopes, I own several and like Eyeshot, I'd definitely buy more than one.

Another I'd buy several of would be the old Weaver El Paso steel tube scopes with micro trac adjustments. The V series, V4.5(1.5 to 4.5) V7(2X7) and V9(3X9).

While I currently own a few of each, if I could get my hands on a  half a dozen Redfield Widefields and a half a dozen Weaver El Paso's in various persuasions, and I just might think I died and went to heaven.

I am very seriously a remnant of the 60's and fast becoming an old 'crankpot', as my kids would describe me, LMAO.

But seriously, here is a pic of a vintage Denver Redfield Low Profile Widefield 2X7 on a vintage Savage 24 .223 over 20 gauge. With see thru sights this scope(with the flat bottom) seems as though it was custom designed for this gun, great combination.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
never liked the tv screen scopes. Thought they were more of a gimic then anything. The old aluminators were good scopes though.
blue lives matter

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
I have  a vintage widefield 4x on a 7mm-08.  Every time I look through it I'm like "woah!  awesome...."    I have a little 2 3/4 in mint condition that has so far been a safequeen. 
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:20:01 AM »
Got an old one (but in great shape) from my brother.  Sighted in ok.  Saved me some money as I don`t have to buy one now. 

Jury out on ....If I`d buy one if they were re-introducted.     

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
Can't see why grinding off the top and bottom of a lens would benefit it unless there was some sort of imperfection on the edge of the initial lens.  Seems like a gemmick to me. 

They were good scopes in their day.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
You don't watch a round TV at home do ya? The Widefield, Illuminator, 3200, 6400, and TX27 is why they were #1 and not Luepold. No gemmick or imperfections you can mount them low and there built like a tank.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
I have to agree. Whats the advantage between what they did and taking the same scope and making it the same size but round.  The front objective on them is round so all the square rear can be doing is blocking the top and bottom of the field of view. they made claims that they had a wider feild of view but in reality really didnt have any wider field of view then some of there competitors. Sorry but it was nothing but a gimmic. Simmons tried copying them for a while after they were discontinued but it didnt last long. 
Can't see why grinding off the top and bottom of a lens would benefit it unless there was some sort of imperfection on the edge of the initial lens.  Seems like a gemmick to me. 

They were good scopes in their day.
blue lives matter

Offline scootrd

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:47 AM »
I loved 'em 
Front objective was not round
As Eye Shot Stated.... built like a tank. I miss mine . 

"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline WD242

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
Give me one of them 1 3/4 x 5 with post/crosshair.

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
I loved 'em 
Front objective was not round
As Eye Shot Stated.... built like a tank. I miss mine . 

Front objective lens was actually dependent on which Widefield model it was. The Widefield has a round front objective lens, but the Widefield Low Profile had the TV style front Objective. I have both styles in 2X7 I have that Low Profile Widefield shown in the post above on the Savage 24, and I have a Widefield with the front round objective on a Remington 7400 in .308.

Here ya go:

But I must admit, it's not a post & crosshair, it's a duplex recticle, and the scope is mounted on my sons Ithaca 37 12 gauge fully rifled slug barrel.

Oh, and Lloyd, incidentally, that Illuminator scope you're fond of was also made in a Low Profile Widefiled with the tv screen lens  on the objective and ocular ends, they were one helluva scope, ahead of their time, truly wish I had one today.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:13:09 AM »
I really liked the Low Pro Widefield with the TV style front and rear lens. I really hated the copies with the round objectives and ocular lens with something inside the scope to give a TV view impression. I would buy one in a heartbeat if they reintroduced them.

Steve E.......
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 12:24:24 AM »

I own two of these and would consider purchasing a third if price/condition were right. They are fine scopes with great optics.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »
I own three low profile Redfields, two 2x7 and one 3x9. I'd but another in a heart beat. I see no need for the round top and bottom and would opt for a lower profile. Game animals are not round. I don't need the extra top and bottom.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 04:42:22 AM »
I never owned a widefield but I assume they offered a wider FOV than the typical scope of thier lens size. Am I correct of this?
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 06:15:29 AM »
There are some that might disagree, but I believe that is correct. It sure looks like it when sighting.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:19 AM »
I decided to do a little research on this. Hears what Chuck Hawks has to say about the Widefield. It s appears they did have a fairly significant wider FOV than a similar scope of similar lens size.

" I still hear negative comments from fellow shooters, like "strange Redfield," and "those scopes with the funny flattened bell housings." I am sure that the Widefield concept never caught on with most shooters, certainly not to the extent Redfield had hoped it would.

This is unfortunate, because the Widefield design really works. Widefield scopes do have a wider than normal field of view and they allow a low mounting position on most rifles.

Their field of view is approximately 30% greater than similar scopes and that can matter in the woods, or when trying to track running game. It allows for faster target acquisition, particularly at close range. This can, of course, be a life saving advantage if suddenly confronted by a charging animal.

There is no doubt that a rifle with a low mounted scope handles faster and better than the same rifle wearing a scope in a high mount. A low mount makes it easier for the shooter to quickly align his or her eye with the scope, and allows a firmer contact between cheek and stock comb for more accurate shooting."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/redfield_widefield_scopes.htm

Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
Low is better. I tried to mount two different Bushnells in low rings on a H&R USH but they hit the hammer. I got out the old Redfield Widefield no problem plenty of room to spare. Chuck hunting with a guy walking an old RXR track. When we got on RR bridge he tripped and droped his new .243- 700Rem. with Widefield between the ties 12' below on the rocks. I thought he was going to cry. The scope had a 3/8" triangle dent in the side, he thought it was shot. I said try it at 200yds on a dirt clod and it was still right on. Out of all the newer scopes I have my go too is the old Redfield Widefield.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
Very Cool

Found this old 1970 Ad on the internet  for the 2.75x , 4x, 6x Fixed.

Found this old 1971 Ad on the internet  for the new 2-7 and 3-9 variables

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
I could be way off base here but the whole deal is just plain weird.  Back when I was a young man in the 70's I thought that Leupold and Redfield were arch rivals.  So now they (Leupold) brings back the scopes that they virtually put out off buisness years ago and did'nt even bring back the widefield which was the flagship of the Redfield line, the very thing that separated Redfield from the pack.  I used a 3x9 widefield for years, and have used Leupold for years also. 
  So Don Burris left Redfield and started Burris. By the way,  I love my Burris scopes and have been using them exclusivley for the past few years.   Anyway, it just makes you wonder what folks are thinking.
31 bertram     

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
A deep desire to bring innovation to the market place for hunters and shooters. Raise the bar of competition by differentiating your products from others. Oh , and make a good buck while doing it
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3