Author Topic: Think you could hit these?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Think you could hit these?
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
I shot this video after we were filled out Saturday.  The thing at the bottom of the frame is my foot...

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Think you could hit these?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
My first thought was YES but i have missed some pretty cake shots in my day! Awesome video!

JW

Offline Tommie D

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
Too bad we can't use a .410    ;)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
Afterwards we were talking about that exact thing... I always goose hunt with a 10 ga but you could have killed a limit easy with a 410, just shoot at the head...

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
For me- the closer they are, the easier to miss. I need a big pattern to work for me. My group refuses to shoot geese that are on the ground. It's called a wing sport for a reason.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
For me- the closer they are, the easier to miss. I need a big pattern to work for me. My group refuses to shoot geese that are on the ground. It's called a wing sport for a reason.
In Kansas it's actually against the law to shoot them on the ground.  Can't say that I've ever seen anyone actually do that either...  I doubt they write many tickets for that...

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
It's a good law, should be the law in all states.

Offline JBlk

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:01:11 AM »
We have the giant Canadians around this area, and they look like b 29s when they come in like that.I live at the edge of a small town and I have them fly over my house at tree top level many days of the week.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:53:21 AM »
Thats what I love about killing the Canadas.  Nothing in wingshooting gets me as excited as when those big bombers are on the deck.  I don't even want to kill them if they're not in tight, it defeats the purpose of hunting them.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
It's a good law, should be the law in all states.

First off I don't shoot geese on the ground.

But why is it a good law to me each his own and if guys like to land them that's OK with me I have seen many a JR. hunter kill his first goose on the ground.

Is Turkey hunting a wingsport there a game bird do you shoot them just flying.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »
For me, Turkeys are the only birds I shoot on the ground. Other birds come into the category " as easy as shooting ducks on a pond." To each his own. Here we call shouting birds on the ground " ground Pounding."

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion the statement really was directed at me.  I'm not sure he really feels that strongly about somebody ground pounding a Canada.  I could be wrong, and I'm sure he'll try and claim that...

In Kansas the rule specifically exempts turkeys but it does not say anything about dispatching cripples.  When I was younger I might duck hunt 35-40 days in a season and be checked 4-5 times a year.  I've never seen, nor heard of, anyone enforcing this rule.  I think it's just there to pacify the people who like to codify their "ethics". 

All of that being said, I'm not sure I can recall anyone shooting a healthy waterfowl on the ground anyway... much drama about nothing I think...

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

WOW. The statement was not directed at anyone. It's just my feeling. I said to each his own and I mean that. No criticism meant.

Offline Jimbow4570

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
Old Thread, I know.
I shoot them all. Flying, landed, or on the water. It better assures a clean kill rather than watch them move when you shoot when they are flying, knowing you hit them and have them fly off to die later.
Land, Shoot, Go pick them up for dinner that night. Now.. ....some of you will take the highroad and spout being a better shot....Good for you, I hope you won your clubs championship also...for us regular guys, Kill them clean, eat them...But hey, Thats just me (and the guys I hunt with, Especially the young ones.)
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 02:51:16 AM »
this is interesting to me because i have never hunted waterfowl before. i am working thru this winter to get gear and info ready for next season. thanks for the video, btw. i guess i will start out at least by trying to get them close and even on the ground. going to try not to cripple them as that is my biggest worry
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
I can see it both ways and a hunters choise. I prefer on wings, we call it sporting but it has it bad side.
In about 1977 or so. A friend and I went hunting on Redman lake in Kansas. It was a bitter cold day as I remember, below or near O and we were the only people I saw out. Duck season had been open a few days and we were going to set up and hunt that evening. We went to the north west corner of the lake, the wind was blowing hard from the east and as we got to a small cove we were going to hunt I have never seen such a sight. I would guess about 100 ducks of all kinds mostly mallards were in the cove wounded, I would guess being blown in by the wind on the lake. Some dead, all tired from swimming against the wind and just being blown back when they would try to leave by swimming or flapping broke wings.
The coyotes and I guess everything else had been working the bank as feathers were in piles everywhere.
Shooting on the ground would probably reduce some of this.