Author Topic: Furnace, etc. for Newbie....Where to find lead..Just starting please help!  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
I'm been reloading for 15 years or more so I am not new to reloading but I'm getting a rifle with a .510" bullet and I want to cast plinking and maybe some hog bullets for it as it is extremely expensive for the commercial bullets.  Anyway, what would be a good furnace and things to get?  I was thinking about Lee because I don't see myself doing a ton of casting but then again it seems like it would addicting.  Any particular models?  I see there are quite a few.

Also, where is a good place to find lead?  Any tips?  Types?  Places I should frequent to try to find some lead?  Any professions that I should look for that might come across these items, etc?

Thanks for your help and input.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Furnace, etc. for Newbie....Where to find lead..Just starting please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
my lee works fine, tire shops are a source of lead wheel weights.plumbers .
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
+1 for the Lee.  I have thousands and thousands through mine now (over 300 lbs of lead so far, and I'm new to the casting thing) and still works like new.  7 seems to be the setting for mine.

Some will argue against it, but I use a cast dutch oven to melt my scrap lead (though lead wheel weights are gone after next year)

Lead Products in Houston sells hardball for about a dollar per pound at 100 lb minimum buy.  It goes down considerably if you buy more.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Ask a plumbing shop where commercial lead products are for sale in your area.  The big houses will custom blend for your needs.  It is nice to have a little linotype around to throw in with your scrap, if the scrap is coming out soft (those big babies probably aught to be soft, but others on this forum know much better than I)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
Remember, this is just an Ol'Coot's opinion, but one who has been casting/reloading since the 60s.

I personally do not like lead pots, #1 I didn't have good luck casting with them, - lots of folk do - but more importantly is they are slow!!!!!!!

For handguns, I like to have a casting partner if possible and run about 5 - 2 to 6 cavity molds at a time.

Simply put, the electric pots most people buy, will not come anywhere close to keeping up with the volumin of metal I go through.

I do not cast for fun as I would do with reloading, so want to maximize production when I set up to cast.

Using a large lead pot over an old Colman gas stove AND a Rowell bottom pour ladle is the best and fastest I have ever used.

Now, Casting for my 45/70 is a differant thing, as groups size at 100yds or beyond is important.  There, I still stay with the pot and ladle, but but the rate of casting is slacked way back.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
 Is this a muzzle loader or modern cartridge gun? Muzzle loaders get by with pure lead or nearly pure. Cartridge guns CAN use a lot of different alloys from 1/10 to linotype. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of production, so a Lee pot will do fine. IF a lot of slugs are needed get the 20 pound pot. Big bullets will drain a 10 pound pot quick! Wheel weights are getting hard to get, so grab them when you can. There are some outfits on line selling casting alloys($$).Ladling and bottom pouring are an individual preferrence. I do both, bottom pour for 35 caliber and down. Ladle for the bigger stuff. Another thing , FIT to bore is VERY important when shooting cast bullets. A correct size die is needed. I use 2 bottom pour Lee pots and prefer them even for ladling!

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:59:21 AM »

Using a large lead pot over an old Colman gas stove AND a Rowell bottom pour ladle is the best and fastest I have ever used.

Now, Casting for my 45/70 is a differant thing, as groups size at 100yds or beyond is important.  There, I still stay with the pot and ladle, but but the rate of casting is slacked way back.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

Where can you find a Rowell bottom pour ladle?

Thanks.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:49:08 AM »
casting big bullets will empty a 10lb lee in short order. Youd be much better served by a 20lb pot. Lee if its all you can afford but the rcbs and lyman pots are a much better unit. Use one once and youd never go back to a lee.
blue lives matter

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »
I use the Lee 20# pots, one for soft lead, one for alloy.  As to where to find lead, check with the local scrap yards or recycling shops.  The Rowell ladle can be found here,
http://www.rotometals.com/default.asp
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 07:33:09 AM »
Minnesota1,

"google" Rowell bottom pour ladles and it should come up.

They are available through Advance Car Mover Co.

So,  the first listing when I just googled the Rowell bottom pour ladles came up, with both names in the heading.

The ladles come in a number of sizes, up to and including large two man ladles for foundry use.

I think I have the second one up from the bottom.  Seems like maybe there were two handle sizes (?????????) and I got the longer one.  Been quite awhile back.

They are a good product and mine has a bigger dipper then the Lyman or RCBS. 

When I am pouring with a 4 - 6 cavity mold and big boolits, a SLIGHTLY larger one would be good.

I allow a lot of metal to flow, and once in awhile need to make a second dip.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag