Poll

Should we hold a SAMCC postal Match this year

Yes
6 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 20, 2011, 11:41:00 AM

Author Topic: 2011 Postal Shoot.  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
2011 Postal Shoot.
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
Last year we held a SAMCC Postal Match

Shall we run it again?

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2011 Postal Shoot.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Well ok, maybe just one more cannon is in store for this year. Who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll have a couple more by the end of summer but at least now I have the excuse I was looking for.

Now, the only question is... which cannon should I get for this?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:28:47 PM »
Same rules?  I thought we were going to have an over 3/4" match this year.  Maybe two divisions?  ?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »
YUP run it!

Include a 1" or so category.  Adjust rules as needed.

How about a hand gonne category - any size - silouette targets.

Perhaps a thundermug category!  dB meter at 10 paces, "A" scale of course.

And, of course, we CAN'T exclude those folks with BRAND NEW KRUP's!  Crayons or firecrackers at across-the-room distances!

(Notice no :) symbols - these are SERIOUS suggestions!)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »
I'm in; maybe I'll even manage to shoot two targets, and get them mailed in under the deadline this time. :(
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
I forgot about the big guns.    The other guns mentioned don't fit the SAMCC format.  If someone want's to set up a postal for those guns, go for it.

Guns of no larger than 1/2 scale greater than .800 caliber shoot at 100 yards with sights.  The sights would have be in shoot "in the spirit of the original"  Blade and notch or peep. No scopes.

Shoot starts  March 1st.  I will still provide provide targets.  We will use the B-17 targets for both the small guns and the large guns.

I will get the rules up dated and posted in the next day or two...

Any questions?

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
Rules are up.  Shoot starts March 1st. 

NOTE:  Shoot starts March 1 and ends midnight Sunday September 25, 2011.  Postmark no later than October 1, 2011.

Starting March 1, 2011 and ending September 25, 2011 the range is open for the 2nd Annual GBO Miniature Cannon Club Postal Shoot.

This shoot is to carry on the tradition of miniature cannon shooting as practiced by the South African Miniature Cannon Club, Durban, South Africa.  All shooting shall be in keeping with the spirit of that tradition- "shoot in the spirit of the original".

This shoot is for smooth bore model Cannons and will have two divisions. 
  • Division 1 is for miniature cannons under .800 shooting round ball projectiles using black powder.
  • Division 2 for cannons of .800 or larger smooth bore and no greater than half scale.
The course of fire is 6 shots on a B17 target. This target is also known as the 25/50 Meter, Slow Fire, UIT Precision Target, and NRA Muzzle Loading.  Two targets are fired and scored. The best 5 shots on each target are scored.  Shots touching the line scores the higher value.
  • Division 1 guns shoot at 25 yards.
  • Division 2 guns shoot at 100 yards
  • Division 1 Guns cannot have or use sights.
  • Division 2 Guns may have sights but they must  be in keeping with the spirit of the  tradition- "shoot in the spirit of the original".
Muzzle disks and target spots are allowed.

Breech rope/recoil restraints are allowed, but guns can not be tied down or anchored.  The exception is swivel guns.  Guns like those used in fortifications mounted on sliding carriages are not considered tied down or anchored.  Shooting platforms are allowed.

If you wish to be provided targets, entry fee is $3 for 2 targets, reentry or multiple entries is $3 for 2 targets. No limit on number of entries.  You may provide your own targets but they must be the B17 25/50 Meter, Slow Fire, UIT Precision Target, NRA Muzzle Loading target. If you provide your own targets there is no entry fee.

To enter click on the email icon under my user name at the left and send me a message asking for entry.  I will send you an email with the address info where to send your entry fee. 

Targets with more than 6 shots will be disqualified.  After shooting fill out the label on the target and return them to the address on the back.  Targets must be post marked no later than October 1, 2011.

All scores will be posted.  Ties will be broken by earliest post mark.

If you provide your own target, you must label them with you user name, full name, email address, cannon description and caliber and score. 

Prizes-none, other than the prestige of shooting your cannon well.

Results from last years shoot is found here: 1st Annual GBO Miniature Cannon Club Postal Shoot

Aiming and target spot instructions have been posted at Aiming a Cannon without sights, South African style

It has been suggested that you post pictures of targets and guns.  That’s optional, but encouraged.  Post them to this thread.

Q&A's on the postal are found in the post Postal Shoot.  Look there first.  If the answer is not there, ask your question here.

FIRE!!!!!!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
We will shoot a full SAMCC format shoot at the Montana cannon shoot in August. The shoot will be for small bore and large bore guns and score can be/will used as your entry in the Postal Shot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
Zero dark thirty in the Morning the wife and I hook up the travel trailer and head to to see grand-kids.  We will be on the raod for two months,

If you want to shoot the postal send  me a PM with you address I'll tell you where to send the money and get the targets in the mail to you...I have them with me.

If you have already sent me money and you haven't sent me a PM or email with you address, I am not going to see mail for two month.  Send me you address and I will get the targets in the mail.

NV Walt and Parrot Cannon,  Ineed you mailing addresses. PM or  Email me.

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
So Nobody wants to do this, this year?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
Haven't started yet.  May wait for CBC2 II even, assuming it's still on.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
all the more reason for me to finish my brooke,  i guess i will head out to the barn right now and start some polishing till the drill bits i ordered show up in a few days.  1.19 bore.  and get the trunions ready to be welded on. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
Haven't started yet.  May wait for CBC2 II even, assuming it's still on.

It's still on for sure....

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
Thanks for bringing  this up to the top.  I still have to build or re-build something to be able to meet the caliber range.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
I'm going to shoot, but I'm going to use my own targets (B-17). There must be at least a few more that want to compete; how many entries were there last year?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline keith44

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:47:41 AM »
Now that I have one to shoot, I wanna play  ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »
I'm going to shoot, but I'm going to use my own targets (B-17). There must be at least a few more that want to compete; how many entries were there last year?

John, if these are the B-17's with the adjustable scoring rings it will be frowned upon.  :) 

Otherwise using your own  B-17's will be just fine.  You must submit two targets.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
will my score from nationals with the mountain rifle count in the postal shoot??   lol

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
As long as it shot on a b17 target and you meet the criteria of the two division send them in...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
John, if these are the B-17's with the adjustable scoring rings it will be frowned upon.  :) 

I'll admit that I tried to order the adjustable B-17 targets, but the American Target Co. was out of stock, so I had to settle for the static version; luckily, the tape measure I use to get the distance of 75 ft. from the front of the bench to where I stake the post, has all kinds of possible adjustments on it. :D   

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
Anybody done any shooting yet?

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
not me, things have been pushed back due to an illness, and now I'm playin' catch up.

Hope to tune a load and fire for score with in the next few weeks.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
Just a reminder we will be shooting the  SAMCC  match at the  Montana shoot for entry into the postal shoot.

If you can't make it to  Montana you can still send your targets in for the postal.  If you can't find B-17 targets in your area, you can still get them from me.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »
If you can't find B-17 targets in your area, you can still get them from me.

Drop me a line if DD runs out of NRA B-17's, because I've got 250 of 'em. :o