Author Topic: Dropped my gun today  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
Dropped my gun today
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
First time ever, and I'm 63 years old.  Never, ever have I had an accident involving a firearm.  I was headed out early this morning to my part-time job.  I usually go down a flight of carpeted steps and go out through the garage.  The gun I had was a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.  (I always carry the little gun, and keep a bigger one in the vehicle or on my belt.)  Anyway, I had my laptop case and some other stuff in my arms, carrying the holstered LCP in my right hand.  I just had not taken the time to put it in my pocket.  It slipped from the holster and tumbled all the way down the stairs, end over end.  I just knew it was going to fire, but it didn't.  It landed on the carpeted platform at the bottom.  The slide had moved back a little.  I emptied it, then loaded it, then jacked all 7 rounds thru to see if it was damaged.  Seems okay.  I won't trust it until I take it out and fire it.  Has anything like that ever happened to you?  If I can admit it, so can you. 

Offline Mohawk

Re: Dropped my gun today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
My Dad dropped my nickel finished Smith Model 10 helping me move several years ago. About 5 feet on asphalt. It landed butt first and damaged the original factory service grips ):  Gun worked fine mechanically but the grips were replaced with Pachmyr Grippers. Never had any issue mechanically though. still worked great! My Model 28 was driven over by a patrol car in the '60's and it still works fine. It has a little "Road Rash" but performed well since then 40 years later. I think you are OK.

Offline jimster

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »
Yes, I don't mind admiting it.  Had my 45 auto on the seat when I pulled up into my driveway, there were a couple people talking to my wife by the road I didn't know so well, thought it might be best if they didn't see it, so I wrapped an old towel around it and stuck it under my arm while walking in the garage.  Walked right up to the door and reached out to open it with the same arm that had the towel under it. The 45 auto slipped out of the towel and fell right on the cement.  Right on the rear sight.  Rest of the gun hit my shoe.  Drifted out the sight, got another one a couple days later and put that one in.  No other damage I could find.  Lucky.  Can't think of any other time I dropped one, except twirling single actions around, but I do that over pillows or something soft.  ;D

I suppose I could say I was giving the 1911 a drop test, and it passed.  Things happen sometimes.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Went to a shoot and show that takes place mostly outside.  There's a shelter house where vendors set up some of their tables.  Looked over an AR upper and decided I wanted it.  Settled on a price with the vendor and as I took a step back from the table to allow me to pull out my money the front sight hooked on my jacket and the upper went straight to the gravel floor.  Not to be deterred I looked up at the guy and asked "Well now, how much for it since it's damaged?"  The guy took it well and we all had a laugh and I still shoot this same upper on a regular basis.  There wasn't a mark on it other than some limestone dust.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
I read these kinda threads and I laugh. Not at the writer, but at the times I have seen high quality fightin guns hit the ground, asphalt, concrete, dirt grass, floors, whatever. I've seen sights bent, knocked off, you name it. Careless handling you say? Not hardly. Some of the finest SWAT team members, trainers, and tested fighters Law Enforcement has had to offer. Superior shots, dangerous in a fight, stayers to the end.
Guys, it happens. If you use and carry one long enough, you will drop one. If it ruins the gun then you didn't have much to start with.
I once stormed a bank with a gas operated shotgun and a couple of backup officers. My Python beat me accross the lobby area and hit a marble floor at the same speed I was running. I was chasin a burglar one night over fences, and when we made our way back into the street, an almost new Model 19 passed me on the asphalt.
A friend of mine shot it out with a Black Panther Party member in 1964 at the distance of "ACCROSS A CAR HOOD" and hit the guy in the chin with a round. Didn't knock the guy down and he ran. My friend jumped a chain link fence and lost his Model 19. Picked it up and continued the fight.
I have an 870 Remington that many a bad guy has looked at the business end of. I have held them at gun point until a back up got behind him. When the fight started I've jerked the slide back, and chunked the gun to get in the fight before the guy killed a cop. That same 870 works today and is as reliable as it was the day I bought it over 30 years ago. USED!
By all means practice gun saftey, but a QUALITY FIREARM will not discharge if dropped. I have built and owned a many a 1911, BEFORE the drop safety, and have seen them hit the ground on the muzzle, but have never seen one go off. Oh I know, they can, and the gun rag writers will swear they've seen it, but I made my livin with guns for 21 years, and I never have. I was an instructor for 18 of those years, and tactical for more than half of them. Good quality guns are far tougher than most folks would ever imagine.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline GregD

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
More than a few times.   :-[

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
I once chunked a Glock 22 on concrete out of my back pocket.  I can honestly say that I only own one gun that would bother me if it got a ding in it.  The rest are tools to be used.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
I once chunked a Glock 22 on concrete out of my back pocket.  I can honestly say that I only own one gun that would bother me if it got a ding in it.  The rest are tools to be used.

ADZACKLY!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:18:27 AM »
Ha!  Mike in Virginia - wait until you're 65, ya gets the 'droppsies' all the time (not really), but I have watched one or another of my handguns go sliding somewhere (usually in slow motion) only to watch them land right on their hammers and not, thankfully, go off.  The last time that happened it was my 1911, before that the Tokarev.  Oh yeah, last Fall during hunting season I tripped on some Thornapple stubble and both me and the rifle went face down but when I got up I found I had to reholster my M29, after cleaning the snow and mud out of it and my moustache, but at least when I went down I went gracefully and with a certain degree of elegance, as my buddy said I slid through the puddle.......... 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »
I am laughing my adzackly off.
I am king of fumblers when loading a magazine.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »
I have dropped um . slid out the truck and had them fall to the ground , have fallen with them , been swimming with them . Knocked the rear sight off a redhawk and front sight off a Glock . knocked several bead sights off shotguns . Front sight off a mod 94 . One thing that happened was i put a 45 in a glove comp. and some how the light came on . The next morning the gun had a brown looking rust spot where the light was close . But ya can hurt um in your pocket as I have killed the finish on 3 J frames , they look like they were hit with hammer and file from being in a construction workers pocket.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »
Nope, thank goodness I have not dropped one yet.  Came real close once.  I had been crawling around in the crawl space under a customers house.  When I got out my shirt was all twisted up so I gave it a tug to get it straightened up and it somehow jacked my model 60 snubby out of it's open topped holster.  I saw and felt it come out of the holster and bobbled it around in the air with my hands like someone trying to hang onto an eel for what seemed like a full minute before I finally got a firm hold.   Luckily the home owner was not around to see my impromptu juggling act.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline homebuilt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:21 PM »
was out on the snowmobile and somhow my contender came outa it's holster, with out me know it. when i finally realized it was gone i got a metal detector from the neighbor and went to lookin. finally found it down in a waterhole where i had ran over it a few time. knocked the burris fast fire a little loose and a few scratches. took it home and pulled it all apart. wash, cleaned, and dry i reassembled it and she's as good as new.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 02:39:31 AM »
Went bear hunting in Maine in 2008.  Shot a 200 pounder.  Climbed down from the stand and with my pack and rifle planning to go have a look see.  From where I was standing, I couldn't see the bear.  So I left my pack, removed my M29 Mtn gun, stuck it in the waist of my pants,  took my camera and made sure my rifle was freshly loaded.  I quietly humped up the trail to the bait and saw the bear was down about 15' to its left...as I approached the bear at the ready, the 29 fell outta my pants and into the mud.  I'm such an idiot...why didn't I have in a holster....cause the holster was in my pack and I was too excited to string it through my belt like I did every day of the hunt....except this one....the unanswered question of the day was...why so much artillery....if my 300win couldn't do it....how could a 44mag help????
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »
Be prepared----MURPHY lurks at every turn.
I have gone to coffee a thousand times---well, maybe not a thousand, but a bunch---I digress--with my gun in my waist. One time for some reason--it just slide down my pants leg and hit the floor.
There I was in McDonalds with coffee in my hand and my gun in my pants legs and resting on the floor by the muzzel.
What to do---there was absolutely no way to unentwine myownself from this perdiciment in a totally graceful way.
My solution was to put the coffee down---reach down and grab the gun making sure I did not touch the trigger--stand up and put the gun back in my pants.
Nobody screamed, fainted or called the police.
I also remember practicing drawing, one day at the range. I had shoot the mag out and reholstered the gun. I walked out to the traget to see what---or if I hit the target.
Went back to the fireing line and reached to draw the gun in order to put a new mag in it.
Where the hay was the gun---it was on the ground where I was standing when I reholstered---dang gun never touched the holster. :-[

Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 05:03:45 AM »
LOL! William have you considered a rest home?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:41 AM »
Oh man William......I know of a case at our gun club where a guy had a derringer...sorry I don't know the make, loaded with 357Glasers in his waistband and it slid down his leg in the parking lot.  It went off removing more than 1/3 of the meat and bone above his ankle and lower leg.  He spent quite a long time in rehab and sued the club for who knows what and lost the case against us. This was 10-12 years ago and he still has the nerve to show up to the ranges and the monthly meeting.......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:04 AM »
Mine has been at the private range and when I was not smart enough to snap a holster or replace the thong around the hammer when picking up the likes of a stapler or targets. Had to learn this painfull lesson twice and on two different revolvers as they struck the top of my big toe both times!

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 05:36:23 AM »
I can honestly say that I only own one gun that would bother me if it got a ding in it.

Just curious, but what would that be?
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »
Years ago when I was just a kid, I was grouse hunting and carrying a Single six in a hunter holster. Nature called so I squatted and did my thing. When I stood up and redid my pants, I noticed that the Ruger was not in the holster. It was under the pile. Cleaned it up as best as I could and reholstered it. When I got home I cleaned it and the holster well. It still works after about 40 years.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Curteric, that's some pretty good aiming! :o

Avycytes, it's a Winchester Super-X trap gun from my dad and made just before they quit making them.

I also had a near miss with my 637 in a belt clip holster.  I got up from my chair in a restaurant and felt something fall from under my shirt.  I half turned and saw the pistol still in the holster, scooped it up and pretended it was my wallet, sticking it back in my belt, under cover of a long shirt.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
A home---yes, they just can't find one with a range.
The actual truth is no home wants me----that also includes my own, :o
I tell ya boys---I put that gun in the holster----that's my story and I am stickin to it.
Part of that is the truth--I maintain I actually felt it settle in the holster.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
Curteric, that's the most horrible thing I can imagine.  I'm certain I would not have retrieved that gun. 

Offline fm2

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
Curteric, that's roughing it.

I dropped my 642 on a tile floor. I got a ding in the front sight. And like SHOOTALL, the finish looks worn, errr.... I mean has a fine patina.

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
Man, that stinks Curteric!   ::)

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
Yep. When I was in the Army I tripped and fell during a live fire exercise, I was carrying a cocked and locked(but on safe) M-60 MG, NCO's thought I had been shot. Have seen numerous weapons fall over after being leaned on trees, etc., tripped on loose stones before and messed up the zero on a rifle scope. My first range trip when stationed in Italy was a suprise, had the rear site cranked ALL the way to one  side and still couldn't barely hit the edge of the target with that particular M-16A1. Pulled the handguards off and sighted down the barrel, had a nice long curve to it! The hazards of being a TO&E airborne weapon I guess.  ;D Anyway i got a different one and no problems, the other one was DX'ed at post armory. While not weapons persay, it is kind of fun to watch vehicles or equipmant tumble out of the sky when the cargo chutes malfunction, they just seem to fall in slo-mo.  ;D   ;D    ;D