Author Topic: Scope Choice Advice  (Read 1281 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Scope Choice Advice
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Okay guys I am going to scope two rifles. One is Ruger MKII in 350 REM. Mag that will be used for deer, bear and maybe moose at ranges out to 150 yards here in Maine. The other is a Remington 660 in 6.5 REM. Mag and will also be used here in Maine for whitetails and coyotes at the same ranges but may be used out to 200 yards. I prefer a fixed power scope and that is what  I am looking for for both rifles.

My choices right now are the Sightron SII 4x32 for the 350 as it has greater eye relief or a Leupold FX II 4x33. I just missed out on an old K4 with a post that was going to go on it but that is another story.

For the 6.5 I was taking a close look at the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 but don't want to overpower the little carbine with a big objective. I need to keep the price under $500 total for both scopes and have no problem buying used.

I am pretty set on a fixed power and would like to hear if anyone out there has any experience with the above named scopes or if they have any other suggestions.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Scope Choice Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
I have been nothing but completely satisfied with my Leupold scopes. 

Every single time I have bought something else I have come to regret it.

I suggest Leupold.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
There is more to selecting a scope than eye relief or field of view. The Leupold is 10.5" OAL and has 5.5" of tube length to mount it and 4" of eye relief. The Sightron is 9.69"OAL and has 4.4" of tuble length for mounting with 4.8" of eye relief. With the Sightron you are stuck with the standard duplex. Leupold offers more reticles (some from the custom shop for more $$). I can't say either would be a bad choice.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
You can never go wrong with a new or used Leupold.

yooper77

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
Truthfully....get yourself a couple of Leupold Rifleman  or VariX-I in 2x7x33 and don't look back.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
Leupold Rifleman VX-II 3-9X40 for both of them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
Leupold Rifleman VX-II 3-9X40 for both of them.

I am sure you meant to say either a Leupold Rifleman or VX-II in 3-9X40. The VX-II would be the best choice, they are simply stellar in all aspects or even the VX-I.

My father in-laws put a Leupold Rifleman in 3-9x50mm on a Remington model 700 in 22-250 Remington and it works good. I own one VX-I in 2-7x28mm Rimfire, three-Vari-X II’s in 3-9x40mm, one-VX-II in 3-9x40mm and one VX-III in 3.5-10x40mm. Leupold scopes are the only optics I will buy in the future.

yooper77

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:03 PM »
Sorry VX-II...no Rifleman...
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »
i love my leupolds too but would recomend you step up to a vx2 if nothing else just for the click ajustments. They also have better glass the the vx1 or rifleman. IF they were my guns id probably stick a 1x4 leupold on the 350 and the 6.5 would probably get a vx 2x7 or compact 3x9. some other good choises are the nikon monarchs in that power range. If moneys a problem ive had great luck with the 1x3 weavers and that would make a great scope for your 350. For your 6.5 one of the 3200 3x9s would work and there a real bargin right now as there closing them out but it might look a tad big on that gun. The 2x7 redfield would look right and has great glass for the money but ive just had to much frustration with there mussy windage and elevation ajustments. Both my 2x7 and 4x12 were sent back to the factory last week because of it. Some guys are using them without trouble though. One more option and its one i have no personal experience with but have heard nothing but good is the vortex 2x7s. Cameraland had them on sale. Ive got a pair of vortex razor binocs. and the optics are fantastic on them.
blue lives matter

Offline erickrschaefer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:10 AM »
You guys make a good argument for the variable power scopes but being an old fashioned hard headed and sometimes stubborn (according to my wife) old Mainer I am going to stick with my fixed power scopes. I have taken a hard look at the Leupold FXII 2.5x20 for the 350 and I did consider the Leupold 1x4 along with the Nikon African 1x4 but I really do like a nice simple fixed power and I am cruising the auction sites now looking for some. I will let you guys know when I get them scoped up and post some pictures.

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »
You might try ebay.com. I wanted a K4 for a beautiful custom Springfield sporter I inherited from my father.  The K4 on his rifle was beat up and ugly but serviceable. I found a selection of the old Texas steel tube Weavers on ebay. I picked up a K4 in good condition for $29 plus postage. Some K2.5s were also available. Those old Weavers are rugged and the optics are decent.

Offline erickrschaefer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
lilbaner,

I have an old K4 with a post on the way that  I am going to put on the 660 and I am watching an old k 2.5 and an old Denver Redfield 2.5 for the 350. I have a Burris on my current deer hunting favorite that is over 20 years old and it has held up well to some pretty nasty weather over the years not to mention helping me put some nice bucks in the freezer. Nothing wrong with some of the older stuff in my opinion.

Erick

Offline Catfish

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
I have a fixed 2 1/2 power Leupold on my muzzle loader and took a deer at 289 yrds. lazered. I had no trouble getting a good point of aim and guess the drop right. I would recomand it for your 350. If you want fixed power on the 6.5 I would recomand a 4X Leupold.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
I used to buy into the fixed power thing. Most of my scopes 20 years ago were 4 and 6x leupolds. Anymore i cant see it. the variables are plenty rugged if you buy a decent one and the big price difference that used to exist is gone. A 4x leupold cost as much as a 3x9 anymore. There also just isnt the good selection of quality fixed power scopes anymore because demand isnt there and youll find as in leupold that they dont put the developement into that line anymore. When they upgraded the vx 2 to the same lenses the old vx3s had they left the fixed powers other the the 6x42 with the old glass. Just doesnt make economic sense to me anymore and with the variables you just get a more versitile scope.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »
I see no logical reason to choose a fixed power scope unless you are trying to build the lightest rifle possible.  Even then the trade off doesn't seem worth it.  When the very first variables came out perhaps reliability was a valid concern.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
even weight wise a 2x7 leupold vx2 is lighter then most fixed 4x scopes.
blue lives matter

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
i like a fixed. buy what you like and shoot it
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:56 AM »
It seems to me the Grand Slam 4 3/4 is underrated, but as you said it is pretty big as it has that long sloping objective bell. I have a soft spot for the old Redfield 2 3/4 Widefield and think  it would provide enough magnification for what you want to do. If you succumb to peer pressure and decide on a variable, a used Leupold 1 1/2 -5 might be hard to beat.

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
OK I have to be diffrent

I have many Leupold's and they are all great. But I am always surprised that Sightron is the best scope that nobody ever heard of!
I have a few, SII my favorite one is 1.5 to 6 by 42MM They dont make them anymore I think its awesome.

Its not better than the Leupold's but it is as good period.The really just get little to no respect.I would own another in a minute

I also love 350s my friend started me on them and I think its my favorite rifle. I shoot a Ruger my budds shoot Remingtons either way its a great load as my friend Scott says "it makes them leak"
Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
The problem with buying scopes nobody ever heard of is that they have no resell value.

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
That is great it gives a great opportunity to buy good stuff at cheap prices

Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »
Might want to think about a Nitrex by Weaver TR One  1.5-5x32 for one of your rifles.  Discontinued model that retailed for around $300, now around $80 plus shipping thanks to discounted price and $50 Nitrex Rebate.   Heck of a bargain.   Japanese made, good optics.    Similiar to a Weaver Grand Slam, having same glass and internals.   Available only at www.natchezss.com   By the way, only one rebate per household allowed.