Author Topic: "New" Ruger Old Army  (Read 1517 times)

Offline ricktile

• Trade Count: (0)
"New" Ruger Old Army
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:10:38 AM »
I came across a new in box ROA a couple of weeks ago.  According to the serial number it was made in 1982 and was never fired.  Cleaned the cosmoline off, poured some .457 balls, and off I went to shoot.  All I can say is WOW.  I never thought a cap and ball revolver could shoot that well.  Why would Ruger stop production on such a fine firearm?  Now I just have to decide if I want a spare cap and ball cylinder or one in 45 colt or both.  I think for now I am leaning toward the cap and ball cylinder since everything I read says that the 45 Colt converstions shoot high.  Now I just need a good flap holster.  Any suggestions on where to get one to fit the ROA?

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: "New" Ruger Old Army
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
Shooting high with a pistol usually means you are shooting a heavier projectile than the one it is regulated for. Your remedy, if you wish to obtain a conversion cylinder is to use a bullet specifically designed to match the weight of a roundball.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=d3fb4508-70e1-4d9b-87bd-6d9c2d504d33

The EPP-UGG Big-Lube bullet at 150 grains.  Lube the bullet, and it is the cat's meow for both cartridges and percussion cylinders. You don't need to add wads or slather lube over this bullet when you luse it in the percussion cylinder.  Comes in a 6-cavity design with a plentiful supply of Dastardly Dick's pearl lube for BP use.

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
If the ROA is SS you can order a higher front sight blade from Ruger.  I use the stock one to shoot balls and change to the higher one for the Lee 220's.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:04 AM »
Yes, heavier bullets will shoot higher. My own conversion is on a Pietta 1860 Colt style and with sights perfectly zeroed for the round ball I found the common 250 grain .45 Colt loads shot about 8" high at 25 yards and a pretty scattered group as well. With 200 grain bullets it shot only about 2" high and a much better group. There are several commercial bullet caster who offer .45 caliber bullets as light as 160 grains for the cowboy shooters and those will likely group right in there with roundballs. But, assuming your ROA has adjustable sights you will have no trouble zeroing the 200 grain bullets, it's only the 250+ weight bullets that are a problem.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.