Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Sigma 9  (Read 533 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Smith & Wesson Sigma 9
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:14:48 AM »
Is this pistol any good?  Durable?

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Smith & Wesson Sigma 9
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »
BTT, guess no one has one.  It is $299 at Academy Sports.  Cheap price for a new high capacity 9mm. 

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
Sigmas aren't generally very highly thought of. I've never owned one, but have shot a couple. The trigger is one of the worst I've tried in a striker fired pistol.  Other than that, I don't know how they got such a bad reputation. Those I shot were,------well, -------OK.  If you're buying one planning on shooting action pistol or bullseye games, you'll likely be disappointed. If you want a plinker/car gun, then you might be happy. Just depends on your needs. You could do worse than a Sigma!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »
Don't own one nor shot one - just heard a lot online and fondled it a few times in a shop - so take with a grain of salt: everything I've heard mirrors what Savage has said.  Utterly reliable guns, but a trigger pull from hell (though I've also heard it said that it's pretty much like a DA revolver pull - just on a semi).  That said, I've heard that upon request you can send it to S&W and they'll lighten the trigger on it for free. 

As a possible carry gun (though a bit bulky for that), or something to keep in the vehicle or nightstand, they're probably OK.  Not good choice for target guns, or even something to just casually shoot at the range though. 

IMHO - in this price range, if you can deal with DA/SA instead of striker, I CAN recommend the Ruger P95.  It's about the same price.  The double action pull on mine is better than my SIG P6.  Single action is pretty decent too - accurate and feeds anything you throw at it.  Factory mags are 15 rnds and Mec Gar has 17 rnd flush-fit mags available (I bought Mec Gar's for mine since it's an AWB era gun which came with the training-wheel 10 round mags originally).  Only real negative I could say about the P95 is that the grip lacks in ergonomics.  The grip is a bit thick, slick, and not angled exactly how I like it (I like a more swept back grip).  Newer models have textured grips to solve that slick problem though.