Author Topic: Anyone Know of Head Space Issues With Apex Barrels?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline CScape

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Know of Head Space Issues With Apex Barrels?
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:24 AM »
After copious range testing with a new .270 CVA Apex Bergara barrel, and failing to find any factory ammo (Hornady Superformance, Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip, Nosler Custom Trophy Grade) that would print what I would consider acceptable groups (1 inch or less at 100 yards), I sent some of the Superformance fired cases back to Hornady that had pierced primers after firing through the barrel.  Long story short, they had some issues with early lots of their Superformance ammo and have replaced what I sent them, BUT after extracting the primers and measuring the cases for head space, the Hornady tech reported that he found all of the cases fired through the Bergara barrel to be out of SAAMI spec for head space.  Yesterday I returned the barrel to CVA, along with fired cases from three different manufacturers.  I will post an update after I hear from them.

I suspect that this issue would probably be more prevalent on barrels whose ammunition head space on the shoulder of the case.  My .45-70 Govt. Bergara barrel is super accurate, and I don't seem to be having issues with the belted magnum barrel I own.  Since I am considering purchasing the .243 and 35 Whelen barrels, I want to do a bit of research first, to see how prevalent this issue may be.  Has anyone else had or heard of head space issues with CVA Apex barrels, or Bergara barrels in general? 

Oh, and just for the record guys, I've been shooting for over 40 years, my eyesight is 20/20 uncorrected, yes, the rail and scope rings were installed to spec and Loctite used to secure the threads, the scope and mounts are Leupold and are mounted square and level, I used sand bags or a Lead Sled during all range sessions, fired one fouling round through the clean, cold bore before grouping, allowed the barrel time to cool between groups, and no, there wasn't a 30 mph wind blowing during any of the range sessions...so please let's keep the discussion centered on the question of head space.  Thanks!  ...CC...
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anyone Know of Head Space Issues With Apex Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:18:28 AM »
While I don't have any Apex barrel, I can say that I have a 243, 7-08, and a 35 Whelen Bergara barrels for my 2 Optima elites, and I have not had any headspace issues with any of them. I don't shoot factory ammo though, and I usually just neck size my brass, but of all I have shot them, I have not been able to detect a problem with brass stretch or had any issues with FTF that are often associated with excess headspace in single shot rifles.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
CScape, I have just the one CVA rifle. It is a Scout in 7mm-08 and it shoots way better than I am capable of. I like it so much that I'm considering another maybe in 30-06.

I am normally a Handi/Topper shooter but over the years saw problems with ejection and headspace with those rifles, both mine and friends and relatives. The Toppers in 30-30 being a rimmed case caliber have been flawless for me along with the .223 Superlight which has also worked 100% and is also accurate. To that action I've mated a used 30-06 barrel and so far it will randomly stick a spent case(I'm working on that) but shows no headspace problems and is fairly accurate. I jettisoned two other rimless rifles that didn't work well, that I just grew tired of working on.

I would be interested in the outcome here as I look at the CVA as a handi rifle that needs no tinkering as well as having a decent trigger, fluted barrel, and lightweight that comes in all stainless and is out of the box accurate.

If your problem is fixed this would renew my quest to sometime purchase another.

Offline Magnum_A5

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
I just got a 7mm-08 bergara barrel for my OE and took out today with a new box of Hornady Superformance 139 Grain SST and it shot all over the place and would not group. My primers didnt blow out and I didnt have any other issues, they just wouldnt group better than 6 inches. I thought my scope was bad. Went to a local reloading expert and he gave me some 120 Grain ballistic tips and they shot M.O.A.

I use the superformance 150  Grain SST in my browning A-bolt and they shoot Sub M.O.A.

I have heard and read of several people having issues with the Superformance.

Offline CScape

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys...maybe I just got the one rotten apple in the barrel!  The CVA repair facility should have had the barrel for over a week now, and I also sent a three page letter regarding this problem and some cosmetic issues I have with the .45-70 Govt barrel and frame, to their CEO, Dudley McGarity...no response from either as of this post.  I will post their response when I get it. 

On hindsight, I suppose I should have asked for a refund of the $150.00 I wasted on ammo...I tried not only the Hornady Superformance, but the Nosler Custom Trophy Grade, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, and Barnes VOR-TX factory ammo...nothing would group.  I did ask them to refund the difference I paid for the 300 Win Mag and .270 barrels I purchased in mid-December, after they posted a significant cost decrease in January.  I got the barrels over the Internet for quite a bit less than CVA's list price, but still paid roughly $30 a barrel more than they now sell for on the CVA website.   :'(  ...CC...
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »
cscape replace the base with a durasight one peice that factory base cost me a few boxes of ammo too.
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???