Author Topic: Reloading for an autoloader Browning BAR  (Read 1231 times)

Offline BobinIL

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading for an autoloader Browning BAR
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
I have a Browning BAR 243 that I am working up a coyote hunting load for. I am using RCBS SB full length sizing dies. My load consists of a modest charge of Varget and a sierra 85 grn HPBT. I consistantly get 3 shot groups in the 1.5" to 1.25" range. almost every group will have 2 shots within .5" and one hole that will open the group up to around 1.5" I am thinking about going to a standard full length sizing die instead of the SB die. Do you have any other suggestions that may help?

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Reloading for an autoloader Browning BAR
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Small Base dies pretty much return the case to factory dimensions. This insures the case will chamber in any chamber that is within industry specs for the caliber.  If you decide to go with the standard FLS die. Be sure to  chamber check every round.  Extremely important in an auto loader. I would be interested in the accuracy results if you change your sizing operation.  Also curious about the twist rate of that BAR.  I use SB dies to load for my auto loaders, (ARs/AKs) The ARs are real shooters with my hand loads and some factory ammo brands.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:49 AM »
When I first started hand loading for my BAR 30-06, I used standard full length dies and I had to chamber every round to see if they would work. About 1 in 4wouldn't! Then borrowed a die from my buddy and had the same results, maybe 1 in 3 wouldn't chamber. I decided to purchase a set of small base dies because at that time it was the only large center fire that I owned and reliability was a must! Besides, I was getting sick of pulling bullets, punching out primers and reloading another casing that may very well not chamber as well. I even found that one WW or RP or Federal might chamber, the next one might not. Went to SB dies.........NO more problems irregardless of manufacturer. BTW....all three die sets were RCBS.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
How long are you waiting between shots? That quite often makes a big difference. For coyote hunting you won't be doing a lot of shooting---try taking a shot and then wait 10 minutes or more before you take the next one--sometimes this makes all of the difference.

cybin

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »
I reload for 4  .30-06 autos, 2 Remingtons and 2 Brownings. I use small base dies and the 2 Brownings and 1 Remington work flawlessly.  1 Remington will not chamber the reloads at all. I haven't been able to figure out why.
Tony212