Author Topic: Winchester Model 1892  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Winchester Model 1892
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
My local dealer got a couple of Limited Edition Win 1892's chambered in 45 Lon Colt. One was a rifle, the other a carbine (20" barrel). They are both takedowns and both have REALLY nice wood on them. I bought the carbine even tho it was pricey. This gun is really nice and the ONLY thing I don't like about it is the tang safety. Was thinking it would really be great if someone would make a tang mounted rear sight that would cover it up. Anybody seen anything like that?
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Winchester Model 1892
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:06 AM »
The Marble's Tang sight, made for tang-safety Winchester 92/94's, will cover the safety.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:38:01 AM »
rangr44, thanks for the info. I contacted them and the sight is on the way.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42:14 AM »
Since a clean/clear sight pic is desireable with the tanger, please keep in mind that you have two options:

1) Remove the rear barrel open sight, install a slot filler blank (bought or handmade), and zero/shoot/etc with only the tang sight.

2) Replace the rear barrel open sight with a folder (if it isn't already so), and then set the rifle up with TWO different zeroes - a relatively short range (say, 50yds) for the barrel sight, and a somewhat longer zero (say, 125yds) for the tang sight.
I've found that when expecting a short-range, sudden shot while using the barrel rear sight (tanger folded), if/when a longer, more deliberate shot opportunity arises, there's usually ample time to fold the barrel sight and raise the tanger for the shot.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !