Author Topic: Winchesters made in China?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchesters made in China?
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
I was in a hardware store that sells firearms today, and the topic came up that Winchester firearms is sending some of their products to China for work. The stuff coming back is pure junk. Does anyone here know if this is true or not?  I can't believe that the Winchester (Herstal) management could do something like this.

JJF

Offline mattl

Re: Winchesters made in China?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
I know some of the Winchesters made are made in Japan, but I've never heard anything about them being made in China.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »
I haven't either but I'd bet that if they bring back the pump and perhaps even the semiauto shotguns in their low price line they will come from China. I think they were last called model 1300s and 1500s but having never owned one am not positive those are the last model numbers for them. Once they were 1200 and 1400 as well I think.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »
I haven't either but I'd bet that if they bring back the pump and perhaps even the semiauto shotguns in their low price line they will come from China. I think they were last called model 1300s and 1500s but having never owned one am not positive those are the last model numbers for them. Once they were 1200 and 1400 as well I think.
Mr. GB, I have the Model 1200 Defender, which a friend purchased I think in the late 70's. He gave it to me as a gift when I retired. It's American made with an extended magazine, not a bad gun, but not, imo up to the quality of a Remington 870.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
The M-70 is made in Columbia, SC. Some are made under the FN Herstal USA brand, like the tactical TSR XP with the green Hogue stock in .308 and .300WM. They make a Special Police Rifle also. They are made in South Carolina too.
The SX3 and SXP shotguns are made in Turkey, of all places.
The 1300 was made in Japan by Mikuro.
As far as I know the leverguns are still being made in Japan. Or they were up until a couple of weeks ago anyway.
Their pocket knives and signature junk is made in China.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
Some un-informed person most likely had seen one of the ADI (Australian), or Norinco/Interstate (Chinese), or  IAC  (Chinese) clones of the Winchester Model 1887/1901 & 1897 lever shotguns, imported into the US for several years, and in demand for CAS.

"Winchester" branded rifles come from Miroku (Japan), and yet other Winchester-type/model lever-action CF rifles come from Rossi (South America), Chiappa, & Uberti (Italy).

AFAIK, The .22 cal Winchester Wildcat boltgun is from Russia, but for all I know, "may" come from China.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
If they can get them made cheaper there then they will.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
Strange we can "import" these, and can't import other things...like the SKS.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)