Author Topic: A little disappointed  (Read 512 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
A little disappointed
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:59 AM »
I have had the old Lyman cast bullet book for a many years now. But was reading that the new Lyman 4th addition cast book had new information, loads, as well as Loads for molds other than Lyman. Now if you do not have a cast book, I would recommend it, and I have not read threw the entire book as of yet, And there are a few loads for none Lyman molds, I did see a couple for Lee and Saeco, and they have added a couple new loads, for the Lyman molds. I cannot put my finger on it, but there is also something I do not like about the way the book is formatted.
I am not saying this is a bad book, and from what I have read, this book dose seem to be less technical and more too the point, an easier read. But not the great improvement and new information I had hoped for. All in all if you do not have a cast bullet book it’s worth the $18.00. 

Offline nicholst55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: A little disappointed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
I just got the new Lyman book a couple of weeks ago, and I'm slightly disappointed, too.  I guess I had expected a more noticeable change with regards to other manufacturer's molds, new(er) cartridges, and powders.  One other thing that would have been really nice would have been a cross reference chart for Redding top punches-Lyman molds.  I kind of understand why they don't have one (they want to sell Lyman lube/sizers, after all), but it sure would make life simpler for people like me who own Redding lube/sizers.

One glaring omission, IMHO, is the lack of 'Ruger only' .45 Colt loads, and no data for the T/C Contender and Encore.  Lyman used to include both in their manuals.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: A little disappointed
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:02:33 AM »
I too was disappointed about the deletion of the Ruger 45 LC loads, but I have an older cast book that lists them. And I use the Lyman 450 so the Crossover chart for top punches in the Appendix is a plus in my case.