Author Topic: 150 Years up comming  (Read 503 times)

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
150 Years up comming
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »
April 12, 2011 will be the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War. I have found much  renewed interest in Artillery of the Civil War.  We that produce replicas of that war have an opportunity to help teach others the importants of artillery and the proper way to use and respect such. This will be a time of reenactments and time to reflect on our country's history and what it has taken to get us here.

Let's all be safe in what we do and to keep our heritage alive and well.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 150 Years up comming
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:25:35 AM »
Thanks for your post, Rick. When you put on the brakes, and slow down to ponder these things, it really is kind of amazing that the Civil War started only 150 years ago. Our country is only 235 years old, so compared to many others, we are still a very young nation.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
sometimes, people tell me " you know you lost the war"   civil war that is.      and I think to myself, would those same people say that to vets. from the veitnam war??   

just a thought for the day. 

rick bryan

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:15 AM »
Funny, I never though anyone ever really wins in war, just one side prevails.  In our Civil war I like to think we became a stronger nation  for it.

I have always been moved by pictures of the old CW vets at the 50th year  reunions of the famous battles.  They sat side by side, together as comrades in arms, not just former enemy's.  There is something to be learned from that.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
Funny, I never though anyone ever really wins in war, just one side prevails.  In our Civil war I like to think we became a stronger nation  for it.

I have always been moved by pictures of the old CW vets at the 50th year  reunions of the famous battles.  They sat side by side, together as comrades in arms, not just former enemy's.  There is something to be learned from that.

YES.  Especially the film of them walking over the battle grounds, together, most with canes, laughing and joking TOGETHER.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:44 AM »
I agree with what Douglas has said about the veterans from opposing sides for the greater part having a magnanimous feeling (along with respect) towards each other at that time (read about how Grant felt about Lee), but what really floors me is that today there are people around that act like a raw nerve has been exposed when discussing the CW; and that I don't understand.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.