Author Topic: Yet Another Barrel Fitting Question  (Read 591 times)

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Yet Another Barrel Fitting Question
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:20 AM »
I just put my new to me Tracker 2 barrel on my Pardner frame and it seams to fit pretty well. With the forearm removed It locks up and there are no visible gaps between the breach and the frame, but it has a slight rattle. I tried shimming it with some soda can clippings and the fit was too tight to close the action. I am able to fit a piece of folded aluminum foil around the lug and it does takeout the rattle, but is this necessary? Without any sort of visible gaps between the receiver and the barrel is it safe to fire? If I do need to shim it what could I use?
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Yet Another Barrel Fitting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »
I would say yes it's safe to fire.

I have never been a fan of aluminum shims. I like steel. It is available in thickness you would want. I have it from .003 up.

I prefer as perfect a fit as I can get. In cases like this,  I have even taken more away to use a thicker spacer.

It's all up to what's acceptable to you.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
As CW stated, it's safe, but on a rifle or slug gun it will make a difference in accuracy, just depends on what accuracy level you're willing to accept, a well fitted barrel will have no movement. Aluminum isn't a good shim material, it will hammer out eventually and be loose again, just depends on how much you shoot it. A thicker shim fitted to the pivot is the best way to get there, depending on headspacing of the chamber, IE if the rim cut is on the deep side, you can remove material from the chamber face down to the face of a chambered round to allow a thicker shim, but be aware that all ammo doesn't have the same rim thickness, I'd only do this on a shotgun barrel if you have several loads to check, and then only with the ammo with the thickest rim. This is all covered in the barrel fitting info in the FAQs, although not specifically for shotguns, the techniques still apply.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
Where could I buy the steel shims.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
That's covered in the FAQs barrel fitting info too.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
Doh! I guess I am putting the Dumb in Stupid :o.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »

The only stupid questions are the ones NOT ASKED!! You don't know until you know... ya know? ;)  ::) :o

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

The only stupid questions are the ones NOT ASKED!! You don't know until you know... ya know? ;)  ::) :o

CW

Okay, What do you say if you're talking to God, and he sneezes?

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:02 AM »
I'll tell you after it happens.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
I submit that God does not sneeze; if he did he wouldnt really be God.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974