Author Topic: Kayak Holster  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Kayak Holster
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
I've been looking for a holster to mount under the deck of my sit-in kayak.  I do a bit of kayak fishing and some mild class 1-2 rapids and wanted something that would keep my stainless SP101 from going to the bottom if I went swimming unexpectedly.  I didn't want a belt attached holster because the seating is kinda tight and it would be an uncomfortable lump, not to mention hard to get at.

I did a google search and saw alabamaholster.com mentioned, so I had a look at what they had.  They make the kydex molded holsters.  I dropped them an email with what I was looking for and the fellow said he built one just like I was wanting to go in his own canoe.  He said it was an altered version of their Ranger.  He sent me a pic of the one he had, which I marked up in paint with some changes I wanted and he said he could do that at no additional cost (I wanted more coverage than the stock holster).  Below is his pic.  You can see the bottom of his canoe seat in the pic.  I took a pic of my SP and asked that he extend the coverage to the red line.

I'll post another pic when I get my holster in.

Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Kayak Holster
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
Haywood
What keeps it from sliding out if you, heavens forbid, go upside down?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
It's a tight fit and it's formed to the shape of the gun like a glove.  One of the screws toward the bottom of the holster adjusts how tight it is.

Ian

usually...

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
It's a tight fit and it's formed to the shape of the gun like a glove.  One of the screws toward the bottom of the holster adjusts how tight it is.

Ian

Similar to a Fobus Evolution 2 holster then in that retention is adjustable with a screw. Works well with the Fobus holsters.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:05 AM »
Do you use a skirt (or whatever it's called) with your kayak?  I have a sit-on kayak and had to get a waterproof fanny pack for my 340 b/c I didn't want the Crimson Trace grips to be ruined.  That also allows me to have the gun on me from the truck to the water and back, and if I get out of the kayak during a trip.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
I don't need a skirt, don't get into water rough enough to warrant it.  I mainly just stay in larger creeks and relatively flat water.

Ian

usually...

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
My kayak is a sit-on-top fishing model (Ocean Kayak brand) that I use for river fishing and light saltwater.  It has  two water tight storage areas, one of which is a coffee-can size compartment directly in front of my seated position.  I keep my stainless gun there.  Not so very quick to get to, but at least it's there.   Even if I flip, the gun stays dry.  I've never been in a sit-in kayak.  I don't have the nerve.  I'm afraid it would turn over and I couldn't get out.

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
Try one and you'll never go back.  I have a 12' Dagger Axis.  If you turn over, just lift your butt up, straighten your legs and you pop out like a cork.  You sit much lower in the water than a sit on kayak and at least in mine, you're much more stable.  I've been out probably 2 dozen times and have never been even close to dumping.

Ian

usually...