Author Topic: Need help on cast bullet  (Read 572 times)

Offline Yellowriver

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help on cast bullet
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Bought a 15" TC Encore in 454 Cassul. Came with some factory loaded Hornady XTP but not grouping the best. Some say that the 454 is best with 300 gr or more..?? Looking at cast bullet 280-330gr that I can push to the max and not have to worry about leading the barrel. All this will be shooting is Iowa deer. No bear or hogs in my area yet. Hope to find something at a decent price so I can shoot more and spend less. Any help would be great.
Thank You Yellowriver NE Iowa

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Need help on cast bullet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »
heavy and hard are what you want for a 454 and the problem is that most commercail casters dont sell them all to cheap. In most cases there not alot cheaper the jacketed. If you want to save money your best bet is to cast your own. For an investment of about 200 bucks you can have everything youd possibly need to cast your own and if you scronge your lead it will pay for itself in short order. You can even get by cheaper at first by using homemade stuff but the best bet if you want to get into it is to buy something like the lyman expert casting kit. It has everything but a mold and a sizer die. Theres better and more effeicent equitment but that kit will get you going and will allow you to make many top quality bullets. If you want my recomendation on who to buy from both mount baldy bullets and cast performance bullets make top shelf bullets but they dont give them away. If you were asking about something like a 38 special or 45 acp then there are cheap bullets available but good hardcast hunting  bullets arent given away.
blue lives matter