Author Topic: .218 bee case forming  (Read 1617 times)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
.218 bee case forming
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »
A .218 bee followed me home and now I have the problem of ammunition. Since ammo and brass seem really scarce, I'll probably end up dipping into my stash of 32-20 brass. I've read it's a two step forming process and see that redding makes form dies. What's the difference between a forming die and a regular full -length loading die? Would a 25-20 loading die work just as well as a form die to go from 32-20 to 25-20? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .218 bee case forming
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »
Necking a .32 to a .22 may result in the neck being too thick, you may have to turn or ream it.
IIRR Winchester only makes a run on the old brass once a year. I see one item on GB now but it's more than I'd be willing to pay.
30 years ago I has a Bee in the 10" octagon barrel. I traded it for a 357 Herrett 14". Wouldn't you know I found a NIB 14" Bee barrel last year, and I still had my dies and brass left over from the first time around. I-4198 pushing a 45gr bullet nets me well under an inch at 100 yards and I'm no benchrest shooter. Actually it's the barrel in my avatar.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: .218 bee case forming
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »
What's the difference between a forming die and a regular full -length loading die

A forming die is not threaded for the expander/decapper it is also cut to a specific length so you can use it as a trim die with a file (hardened to prevent damage from a file) they also, when in steps, are set up more or less to allow the maximum neck reduction and shoulder setback with minimum loss. FWIW if you have a 25-20 die and a .32-20 die, all you need is a .218 die. Run it all the way into the 32-20 SEAT die to round the mouth and taper it slightly, run into the FL .25-20 with the stem removed, then into the .218 SEAT die and then into the .218 size die. You can skip the .218 Seat step but you'll see case loss and a few wrinkles, the neck should be right at or slightly under as the neck on most .32-20 is VERY thin.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com