Author Topic: My new scar - what to look for in eye relief  (Read 924 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
My new scar - what to look for in eye relief
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:49:15 AM »
I'vse used scoped rifles since I started big game hunting in the late 1940s. Mostly Redfields but in recent years, Bushnell 3200s and Leupolds.  Never had a problem with any scope until last fall. . Plains hunt. Long stalk, belly crawl and set up for a solid prone shot. Buck sensed that all was not well.  He stood and slowly started walking to my left. I had to unlock the secure prone position I was in to aim at him. If I had gone to a kneeling or sitting position, he would have left in a big hurry. Squeezed off the shot. He went down. I felt something wet on my face. Eyepiece of the Bushnell took a crescent shaped divot above my eyebrow. Several stitches required. My scope was set up for a full field of view with the rifle held straight on.  Big mistake where the Bushnell was involved. Wish I had been shooting my Tikka/Leupold combination, or had set the Bushnell forward far enough to keep it out of trouble.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: My new scar - what to look for in eye relief
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »
Sorry to hear you had one of lifes lesson smack you in the face. Congrats on the buck though.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:18 AM »
The only time I have been  "whacked" with a scope was when shooting from prone position.  My 264Win I used to have was a seasoned veteran at cutting brows, as my S-I-L shed a little blood from it also.  It seems like after a fella has this happen once he is more educated afterwards.  I have shot from a prone position a different times and if memory serves me correctly that scope eye has more to do with the rifle than the relief of the scope it is wearing.  My 264 was topped with a Nikon Buckmaster that had a decent amount of relief.  Maybe it was just a mean gun!  Lilabner, what cartridge were you shooting when you were savagely attacked?

Offline klt1986

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
I really like the constant 4" of eye relief on the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.  Not to mention the glass on these is another big plus!  I put one on a Browning X-Bolt last year and have really enjoyed the scope and rifle.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:54 AM »
I love the 3200/4200 Bushnells but they don't have enough eye relief for hard kickers.  I am called stupid everytime I say this but here once again I'm proven correct.  I mount all my scopes as far forward as I can.  The Leupolds & Nikons are better for hard kicking guns.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
Right again Swamp...one good smack and instant flinch!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
Ive mounted 3200s on some magnums and never had a problem. Only got bit once and it was my bdl 300 weatherby that had a 3x9 ziess conquest on it.  I do tend to mount my scopes farther up then most. I always suck a gun into my shoulder hard and cheak up as far forward as i can when i shoot. It works good that way as when you go prone or get out of position it keeps the scope away from your eye. If your looking for a scope recomendation that has about the best eye relief in the bussiness try a vx1 or vx2 2x7 leupold. To me anyway they have about an inch more eye relief then anything else. Ive found most guys that get bit by a scope are guys that mount the to far back because they dont cheek up a rifle correctly and then when they get out of position it gets them.
blue lives matter

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:03:14 AM »
 lilabner,

Sorry about the eye.  It would have been easier if you took the hit on the noggin 60 years ago as a young kid ;D  Now it would just be a faint memory but a reminder of where your head is in relation to the scope ;)  I think we have all done it before ::)  I catch myself sticking my fingers between the scope and my eye sometimes just to make sure I have the relief.  I'm living that once bitten twice shy thing myself ;D  Hope you heal fast!

Bulletstuffer

PS.  Good job on the stalk and shot!
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
The bottom line is that I didn't get locked in solid. If I had done a sideways crawl to the left to straighten things out, it could have ended better. Rifle: Vanguard .270 Winchester. Nearly 9 pounds with scope, sling and full magazine. I checked my other rifles and they had a  bit longer length of pull. Ammo: 130 gr. Hornady with RL22. Chronographed 3130 fps with no pressure signs. Not really a heavy kicker. Another inch or so of eye relief might have saved me. I will pay more attention when scope shopping.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »
While eye relief is important in an optic, especially for a hard-kicking caliber.  So is pulling a little with your firing hand, putting the rifle into the pocket of your shoulder with some pressure before you fire.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I have a right and a left hand scar between my eyebrows.  They form an "X".  The left hand one came when shooting off handed almost straight down and behind me to my right side.  The butt of the rifle was in my left arm and not on my shoulder.  Saw stars but killed the buck.  The second scar, the right handed one, came from a light recoiling rifle off sand bags.  Did not have a hand on the forend.  Jumped back and hit me right between the eyes.

Both scars came from Leupold scopes and eye relief was not the problem either time.