Author Topic: Zulu's Collection  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Zulu's Collection
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:09 AM »
From time to time, I have been asked by some of you to post pictures of my entire cannon collection.  That is not practical except in a slide show.  I have put one together.  It is all stuff most of you have seen already but its still cool to look at.
Keep in mind, that with very few exceptions, all this stuff lives in my house.  And all of it is big!! :o
The first slide show is of the finished, painted guns.  The second slide show is the "unfinished" version.
All of this stuff can be seen on my website listed below.
Enjoy.
Zulu

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/jmelledge/Showcase%20Cannons/?albumview=slideshow

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/jmelledge/Unpainted%20cannon%20portfolio/?albumview=slideshow
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Zulu's Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
Sweet slide shows ! I like the unfinished caronades with all the laminations and grain towards the end of the second show .

Great work , I got to see these finished this summer at the Big Head Convention . :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:46 AM »
Zulu,

Which ones your favorite?

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »
Zulu,

Which ones your favorite?

Asron87,
I have thousands of hours in that collection.  I like them all.  The carronade screams "brutality", the Parrott Rifle on the Barbette carriage is "elegant",  The Dictator "shows no fear", and the bronze Spanish mortar is "aging with grace".
All the others have their story too.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »
Of all your creations I think my favorate is the Spanish Mortar modeled off of Cannonmn's original,
I have a soft spot for 18th Century Spanish artillery when I was re-enacting my unit was El Regtmento
De Lousinia as a provincial Spanish Grenader
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:51 AM »
You're lucky that you hail from the state of the "TEN GALLON HAT", otherwise you couldn't even find a chapeau big enough to cover that ginormous cranium of yours. :) ;D :D :P    Great slide shows, Zulu! I agree with Allen, the Spanish mortar is still my favorite.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline FDC

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »
Those are drop dead gorgeous, Zulu!!  I'm well impressed... :)

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
You're lucky that you hail from the state of the "TEN GALLON HAT", otherwise you couldn't even find a chapeau big enough to cover that ginormous cranium of yours. :) ;D :D :P    Great slide shows, Zulu! I agree with Allen, the Spanish mortar is still my favorite.
BoomJ and Kabar,
That Spanish mortar sits on my desk top.  I enjoy it every day.
Those pictures in the slide show are the ones before I changed out the wood.  Here are the pictures after I changed the wood with older stuff.  I like it a lot better.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
This mortar looks like it should weight 1000 lbs even at arms length in person . The new wood looks very nice on it too .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:51:42 AM »
They're all gorgeous but I still can't quite decide which is my favorite, the Parrott or the bronze mortar.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline jer2349

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
All are a work of art, A true craftsman indeed.

Offline willdj79

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Great job Zulu. Those look very real. I really like the Mortar. And You don't have to beef up the foundation of your house to display them. Have you ever thought about trying to make a replica of one of those wooden mortars with metal banding that was used in the petersburg, Va battle?

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:08:32 AM »
Great job Zulu. Those look very real. I really like the Mortar. And You don't have to beef up the foundation of your house to display them. Have you ever thought about trying to make a replica of one of those wooden mortars with metal banding that was used in the petersburg, Va battle?

willdj79,
I'd have to see a picture of one.  Do you have something to post?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »
Zulu,
One of those improvised wooden mortars rarely used in our Civil War, and other places throughout history for that matter.

Wikipedia: The Union Army of the Tennessee, not having a proper siege train at the siege of Vicksburg, was forced to improvise. The artillerymen took short sections of gum-tree logs, bored them out to accept six or twelve pound shells, and hooped the logs with iron bands. These wooden mortars reportedly served well. (Hickenlooper 1888, p. 540).
Edward Porter Alexander reported that Confederate experiments with wooden mortars were not successful. (Alexander 1883, p. 110).

Scroll down to 'Mortars'.
http://www.robinsonsbattery.org/79215.html

http://content.mnhs.org/education/items/browse/tag/civil+war

Item information
Dublin Core
Title
Gumwood log mortar barrel
Subject
Civil War
Description
What is it?  A wood mortar made from a gumwood tree.  This mortar was used by the 7th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment during the 1865 seige of Spanish Fort, Alabama.  The regiment's blacksmith, W.S. Marsh of Wyattville, Minnesota, is believed to have built the weapon.
When is it from? The mortar was made in 1865.
Where is it from?  Spanish Fort, Alabama.
Who created it?  W.S. Marsh, the blacksmith of the 7th Minnesota.
Why was it created?  It was probably created because the supplies to make a regular mortar were unavailable.  Supplies had to be brought in by train or wagon, making it a difficult task to ensure enough for an army on the march.
Creator
W. S. Marsh of Wyattville, Minnesota
Source
Minnesota Historical Society Collections
Accession no. <4225.H576>
Publisher
Minnesota Historical Society
Date
Format
Artifact
Language
eng
Artifact Item Type Metadata
Materials
Gumwood
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
Thanks Boom J,
Now I know what willdj79 is talking about.
 I have no plans to make one of those at this time.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
Zulu,
While I was admiring your woodworking skill, I thought, "Too bad he has to use conventional steel nuts and bolts". 

Then I remembered the extra tool that I still have tucked away for over 50 years. It's brand new and still in the box. I often bought two of a few things that I believed were going to prove to be difficult or impossible to replace. 

Without crossing the yard in deep snow to get to my ice cold shop, I believe I can tell you it was made by Marples, England, definitely pre China :'(    It threads wood. You can fashion nuts and bolts with it.  I think it threads 3/4 or 1 inch.

You have to do things like that where I live here in NEW YORK. I live in a Piglet. It's smaller than a Hamlet. The Village which is 15 miles away, has one traffic light and a central school covering 5-6 town with a student body K-12 of 350. 

When I make it in to "town", I get alot smiles and people say "hello" but most just nod because teeth are rare.  My friends daughter got hitched and both families with the wedding party, lined up for one long wide picture.  Twenty-two people.  Then the photographer said, "smile!". If you pulled every tooth from every head of every person, you couldn't make a full set.

I had a heck of a time chopping through all of the black top and concrete to make a pasture for my beef cattle to graze on but that's what its like in the 3,ooo acre mountain hollow we live in with one road in and the same road out unless the Herfords are blocking it.  The other eleven people who call this home, are faced with the same road. It's just like that all the way here in NEW YORK  from the Atlantic Ocean to the south and the Great Lakes to the north. Our county alone, is larger than the State of Rhode Island.

It doesn't surprise me when people say that they drove through NEW YORK and they didn't like it.  Clearly, they weren't here where I am because we hardly have any roads. They must have stuck to the Thru Way. It's safer for them there. Whip through at 85, see nothing and meet nobody. 

We got alot of nodders in these hills and alot of tough Hill Billys. That's why nobody packs iron (except me). Pool cues, beer bottles, boots, fists and alot of tooth removing head butting.  Me? I have to pack because I am still looking over my shoulder.

I can shoot my full sized cannons when I just step out my front door.  They can hear them off yonder in the Piglet but nobody between here and there, gives a hoot. That's why we are here. 

I love NEW YORK because I am NOT afraid of it.  I was born in B*R*O*O*K*L*Y*N ....U S A.  You can't beat that with a stick.

RRC

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
Zulu,
While I was admiring your woodworking skill, I thought, "Too bad he has to use conventional steel nuts and bolts". 

Then I remembered the extra tool that I still have tucked away for over 50 years. It's brand new and still in the box. I often bought two of a few things that I believed were going to prove to be difficult or impossible to replace. 

Without crossing the yard in deep snow to get to my ice cold shop, I believe I can tell you it was made by Marples, England, definitely pre China :'(    It threads wood. You can fashion nuts and bolts with it.  I think it threads 3/4 or 1 inch.

You have to do things like that where I live here in NEW YORK. I live in a Piglet. It's smaller than a Hamlet. The Village which is 15 miles away, has one traffic light and a central school covering 5-6 town with a student body K-12 of 350. 

When I make it in to "town", I get alot smiles and people say "hello" but most just nod because teeth are rare.  My friends daughter got hitched and both families with the wedding party, lined up for one long wide picture.  Twenty-two people.  Then the photographer said, "smile!". If you pulled every tooth from every head of every person, you couldn't make a full set.

I had a heck of a time chopping through all of the black top and concrete to make a pasture for my beef cattle to graze on but that's what its like in the 3,ooo acre mountain hollow we live in with one road in and the same road out unless the Herfords are blocking it.  The other eleven people who call this home, are faced with the same road. It's just like that all the way here in NEW YORK  from the Atlantic Ocean to the south and the Great Lakes to the north. Our county alone, is larger than the State of Rhode Island.

It doesn't surprise me when people say that they drove through NEW YORK and they didn't like it.  Clearly, they weren't here where I am because we hardly have any roads. They must have stuck to the Thru Way. It's safer for them there. Whip through at 85, see nothing and meet nobody. 

We got alot of nodders in these hills and alot of tough Hill Billys. That's why nobody packs iron (except me). Pool cues, beer bottles, boots, fists and alot of tooth removing head butting.  Me? I have to pack because I am still looking over my shoulder.

I can shoot my full sized cannons when I just step out my front door.  They can hear them off yonder in the Piglet but nobody between here and there, gives a hoot. That's why we are here. 

I love NEW YORK because I am NOT afraid of it.  I was born in B*R*O*O*K*L*Y*N ....U S A.  You can't beat that with a stick.

RRC

I also have the ability to thread wood in 3/4" and 1".
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »
Good!  You cannot use it.  I was giving it away to the Salvation Army with other woodworking tools. Mostly 19th century.  8)

RRC
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!