Author Topic: Painting a Handi - Grip  (Read 867 times)

Offline lumberjack

• Trade Count: (0)
Painting a Handi - Grip
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »
I need some advice, If ya'll don't mind.  I have searched the forum for the info I need but I can't seem to find it.  If its already been posted / addressed I apologize.  Anyhow...  I recently purchased a Handi-grip stock set for my SB1 12 ga.  I would like to paint it as this is my turkey rig. Finally, my question(s)....I really like the rustoleum textured multicolored paint I found at Wally World, but how well does it adhere to plastic/synthetic?  It says on the can for metal, wood and other surfaces.  Should I first use a primer for plastic (krylon fusion) and then use the rustoleum?  Also, how well will the texture of the textured paint remain if I add a clear top coat?  I appreciate any and all advice, THANKS!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Painting a Handi - Grip
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
Welcome! Lots of info on painting stocks in the FAQs and Help sticky, the best place to glean info on H&Rs, it's mandatory reading for H&R newbies.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »
The Krylon camo paints from Wally World work great on stocks, barrels, etc. You can make up some great camo patterns with some stencils or just freehand it. There are some pics in the FAQ's of camo'd Handi's and Pardners. I don't know about clear coating it afterwards though... I think it would add a shine to things and defeat the purpose of the camo.

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »
+ 1 on the shine thing.
FWIW, Ive heard that a well polished and blued steel gun will reflect more light off those surfaces than a matt finished blued or even stainless steel gun.
I think there are some matt clears that might do a 'protective coat' over your paint job, if that is what you are concerned about, but Id just go with the paints.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Alias DW

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
Hey Lumberjack I did one with krylon fusion green paint,and before it was fully dry hit it with Rustoleum speckled textured green paint,two coats,then hung it over a kerosun heater for acouple hrs. It has held up perfectly. Make sure to prep it good first. Good Luck      Alias
Lunatic fringe, we know your out there!

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
when painting plastic i like to scrub down with hot water and dish detergent and let it dry.krylon fusion is great for plastic. just make sure the first coat is very light.almost like a dusting.i will do 3 more coats after that going a little more heavy each time.by your 3rd coat you should be covered. i believe you have up to 2 hours to recoat after each time. i use wire to hang the stock. just run the wire through a stock hole and twist a washer on the inside of the stocks so the stocks are hanging straight up and down.there is a krylon fusion texture paint also. if you use a non plastic spray paint your gonna need a plastic primer. ive used fusion as a primer base and sprayed over it with regular spray paint in the past but there are quite a few fusion colors so i like to stick with the same stuff.a clear coat isint gonna take away your grip so much .i like to use the krylon matte finish anywhere from 3-5 coats. another option is to do a base coat and spray krylon black or white webbing spray paint over top.you can find it at a fabric shop like jo-anns. also rustoleum makes plastic paint and a matte clear finish but it goes on very heavy so i stay away .

Offline lumberjack

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:04 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the input.  Now I have to work up the courage to go for it,  wish me luck!!  Thanks again

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
Remember, its just paint  ;D
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »
if you mess up and need to strip the paint off brake cleaner will take it right off. if the paint dries for a couple days its gonna be harder to spray off with the brake cleaner. if the paint is dry you can soak in brake fluid overnight and scrub off with a brush.the only thing to consider is once you start painting and removing paint from the stock a few times the original black finish will look dull and kinda frosted looking so you wont be able to go back.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
Brake cleaner is pretty tough on plastic ain't it?

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 03:32:53 AM »
For years now there have been plastic caps on brake and clutch reservoirs, etc. and Brake Fluid comes in plastic bottles.
BTW, DOT3 removes paint DOT5 is reformulated and doesnt right away anyway.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:27:27 AM »
Are you guys talking about brake CLEANER or brake FLUID ?
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
recently ive done some camo dipping on a plastic huntsman forearm. the camo dip didnt wrap around nicely so i just blasted it off the non chlorinated brake cleaner in a spray can immediately and washed it off very quickly with hot dish soap and water. i should say all plastics will react different so do a test area first.if your not willing to take a chance just soak it in a plastic container with brake fluid overnight. it will take the spray paint off but very slowly.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
Are you guys talking about brake CLEANER or brake FLUID ?
Brake cleaner is pretty tough on plastic ain't it?

Spanky

I was talking about brake cleaner. I think Crank was talking about brake fluid.

Spanky