Author Topic: Zulu, Uncle!!!!!!  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Zulu, Uncle!!!!!!
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:31:37 AM »

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: Zulu, Uncle!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:55:34 AM »
The ONLY reason that I can see for anyone relocating to Cut Bank, is the Witness Protection Program. :-X

RRC
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
it 65 degrees here right now,   lol   its wonderful,     poquoson va.

rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
Yeah, we have a little rain in Virginia Beach but no big deal.....

It DID snow twice this year the first time we had 10 inches of the white stuff! it shut everything down!  :o

the next time I think it was about 4-6 inches ....... most of it was gone the next day...... yeah I know it was

a bad winter here in Sothern Virginia........ 
::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »
     Double D.    Did you ever get around to insulating your shop and installing natural gas heaters? 

25 deg. and a little frost in Broomfield this morning.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Supposed to rain here today and tomorrow.  Maybe in the 50's today and 40's tomorrow.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
     Double D.    Did you ever get around to insulating your shop and installing natural gas heaters? 

25 deg. and a little frost in Broomfield this morning.

Tracy

The insulation is in.  Heater got set aside by new roof.   Next year ,I hope to get new outlets, lightsd and doors in the shop.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
The ONLY reason that I can see for anyone relocating to Cut Bank, is the Witness Protection Program. :-X

RRC

DD, I got a serious question for you and Ernie, and I’d appreciate an honest answer. In your neck of the woods (way up and far over thaaar), who do you think are more likely to have a better time out on the town for a Saturday night, the prairie dogs or the people?  :) ;D :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »

RRC

This would be a pretty stupid place to stick some one on witness protection...small town, every body knows everybody else, and always say Hi or wave...and greet every new face....

DD, I got a serious question for you and Ernie, and I’d appreciate an honest answer. In your neck of the woods (way up and far over thaaar), who do you think are more likely to have a better time out on the town for a Saturday night, the prairie dogs or the people?  :) ;D :D

I can tell your small town experience is limited. Come to the CBCCII and see for your self.   You will be surprised....

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
Douglas,
The serious question part wasn't meant to be taken seriously, I was kind of hoping that you were going to answer: Well of course the prairie dogs have more fun Saturdays, and most other days too. :P  ;)
Hey, I'm sure Cut Bank is a wonderful place inhabited by even better folks, and with some luck I might just get there before it's my time to be carried up to that great butte in the sky. ::)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »
I didn't take your question seriously at all...I just used it to unashamedly promote the Cut Bank Cannon shoot..

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
The "wasn't meant to be taken seriously" part, also wasn't meant to be taken seriously, DD. ???  But you know me, I'm a glass half full kind of a guy, so I guess that I should just be glad that you didn't ask me; 'what makes you think that the angels will be carrying you upwards'? :o 

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 02:20:07 AM »
O.K.! Yadda yadda yadda but what did you do to get buried in North Cup Cake?  I've experienced the WPP professionally :-X

RRC
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:59 AM »
O.K.! Yadda yadda yadda but what did you do to get buried in North Cup Cake?  I've experienced the WPP professionally :-X

RRC

Richard, the riddle speaker,

I think I figured out what what you are saying.  Why am I in  Cut  Bank.

Simple, Cut  Bank has only one traffic light.

WPP, what does Wausau  Paper Products have to do with Montana?

I have been in or through 49 of the 50 states...never been in or through Missouri. 

Born and grew up in Southern Oregon in the 50's and 60's.  Back then it was country rural,  Population of the nearby town  25,000. 

We have lived in Southern Oregon,  Hawaii,  North and South California, Arizona, East and west Texas,  Northern Virginia, Montreal Canada, Durban South Africa and North Central  Montana.

When working, to take promotion, I took the transfer-promotions so we could see the country.  One of the places I was sent was  Montana.  We loved it from the first day we arrived.  Friendly people, wide open spaces, great recreational opportunities, no traffic.  When I took a promotion to Washington DC we regretted leaving Montana and tried to keep our Montana  place, but it just wasn't possible living in Northern VA.   

We have visited all the large metropolitan areas in this country.  We have visited what you folks east of the Mississippi call country-rural, and it ain't. 

We had always thought we would retire back home to Oregon, but each visit back home, made home less and less appealing...Oregon became the northern most state in  California.  Traffic, people, urban sprawl and weird liberal politics.  My Sister who lives in the Seattle area says not true, Washington is now the northern most county in  California.

Both our kids were born in  Hawaii and we raised them in Arizona and Oregon.  One lives in Maryland and the other in  Illinois now.  They both wish they gould live in  Montana.

Of all the places we have lived Montana is the only place we ever want  back to visit after we left.  In 2008 when I retired we loaded up a uhaul truck with everything we owned and drove from  Virginia to  Montana and put everything in storage and started looking for a place to live.  We looked all over  Montana and settled on Cut  Bank.

We are comfortable here.  We like it here. We are happy here.  If you can say that about where you live great.

In the same light that you wonder why I am buried In Cut  Bank, I wonder why you are buried in New York.  I like it here, I didn't like living in  Houston and didn't like what I saw driving around  New York.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,154310.0.html

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
Wow!  Too cold for me! :o
Spring is here.

On the other hand there are probably at least 1,000,000 traffic lights here.  1,000,000 cars on the road at any given time.  One half of those cars are carrying guns so don't cut anyone off cause they are liable to shoot you.  It happens everyday.  People kick down your doors here so you have to stay close to a gun in your own house.  In Summer the air is so thick you can cut it with a knife and its 102 degrees.  At least its a wet heat. :o
I don't know my neighbors past 2 houses down and don't want to know them.  My bank just put 1" thick bullet proof glass around the tellers to try to keep them safe.

But we sure have nice Winters. ;D  I can fish all year round.  I can wear shorts, flipflops, and a Hawaiian shirt 10 months out of the year.  Of course shorts make it hard to hide your .357 magnum. :P
It is getting crowded here.  Census says 4,500,000 people.
Cut Bank is starting to look pretty nice.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:37:07 AM »
Weather is much improved today, 10 degrees and 48 mph winds, blowing snow, visabilty   100 feet....love it

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:37 AM »
It's going to be @45 here today ,we had 3-4 inches yesterday . The sky is sever clear with no clouds .

Longmont is a small town (80K) it is here because of the sugar beet industry, it has a nice little main street . It has become a "bedroom" comunity for denver comuters that is a mixed bag .

My wife Deanna and I moved here in 83' no regrets .......... well a few it seems every corner comes with memories ....here is where my daughter crashed a car .....here is where my son crashed a car ....there is where I used to work twice...... there is where blah and blah  ???

But I agree with Zulu about having "something "close at hand (in my waistband) at all times .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »
Don't think I could get used to all that snow. My A/C kicked on yesterday afternoon, was 78 degrees here. Hard to beat North Florida in the fall, winter and spring, summer is miserable though.

Max

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »
OK guys, quit prodding Richard to go into detail about the 'Witness Protection Program', he can't elaborate any further at this time. He has led a multidimensional life, to say the least.

Douglas, you say: "This would be a pretty stupid place to stick some one on witness protection...small town, every body knows everybody else, and always say Hi or wave...and greet every new face...." 
If your neighbors are for the most part trusting, friendly, and not prone to pry, mightn't Cut Bank be the perfect spot to relocate someone in one of these programs? For some reason this has raised my curiosity, so I am relatively serious about this question. If I moved there (and was somehow able to deceive the population into thinking that I was half way normal ;)), and had a fairly believable story about my history, would the people for the most part be inclined to accept me without too many reservations? 
BTW: You are correct in thinking that I have never really had the opportunity to experience any extended period of time in personal interaction with a small town community. I will be the first to admit that someday I'd like to leave where I'm at now, and move to a more rural setting; but I don't know about going as rural as your present address.
Now, here are some possible things on the downside of living where you do: If Canada declares war on the U.S., you and Ernie are in some deep stuff. :o  I'm assuming (always a dangerous thing) that there's not a slew of ethnic restaurants to dine at. Please tell me there's a place to get good Chinese food.

Now in closing, what could possibly be more appropriate than the late great (not my opinion) Frank Zappa's composition, "Montana." Don't ask me what the lyrics mean, because I haven't got a clue.

Montana: Music and Lyrics by Frank Zappa, 1973
[backing vocals Tina Turner & The Ikettes]

I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
To somebody else . . . but then, on the other hand I would

Keep the wax
'N melt it down
Pluck some Floss
'N swish it aroun'

I'd have me a crop
An' it'd be on top (that's why I'm movin' to Montana)

Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon (yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a mennil-toss flykune

I'm pluckin' the ol'
Dennil Floss
That's growin' on the prairie
Pluckin' the floss!
I plucked all day an' all nite an' all
Afternoon . . .

I'm ridin' a small tiny hoss
(His name is MIGHTY LITTLE)
He's a good hoss
Even though
He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
Any way

I'm pluckin' the ol'
Dennil Floss
Even if you think it is a little silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks

I'm gonna find me a horse
Just about this big,
An' ride him all along the border line

With a
Pair of heavy-duty
Zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand
Every other wrangler would say
I was mighty grand

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss
Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I might
Ride along the border
With my tweezers gleamin'
In the moon-lighty night

And then I'd
Get a cuppa cawfee
'N give my foot a push . . .
Just me 'n the pygmy pony
Over by the Dennil Floss Bush

'N then I might just
Jump back on
An' ride
Like a cowboy
Into the dawn to Montana

Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)
Movin' to Montana soon
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »
Well if ya throw in a train at all hours ,I think you nailed it . They have a very good breakfest place and one other family style resturant .

Also a nice little park where you can sleep if the inn is full .

Must have shrooms too by the lines in that song .  ???
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
Supposed to have been 32° all day today and snow.  Didn't make it; no precip and maybe 50°.  But snow level is down to 2000' and even the hills are white and it's gettin' cold tonight, for here at least.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

Douglas, you say: "This would be a pretty stupid place to stick some one on witness protection...small town, every body knows everybody else, and always say Hi or wave...and greet every new face...."  If your neighbors are for the most part trusting, friendly, and not prone to pry, mightn't Cut Bank be the perfect spot to relocate someone in one of these programs? For some reason this has raised my curiosity, so I am relatively serious about this question.

Never said they aren't prone to pry.  Yes polite friendly, but trusting, not. The only way to explain this is with a story.

I went to to South Africa in 2006 and while gone, I stored my truck in one of the local farmers barns.  Two weeks after I got down there , The Port Director of Customs,  at Sweetgrass Port of Entry called me.  Another local farmer had noticed my truck with Virginia license plates in the barn and called the Sheriff.  The Sheriffs Office knew that I had worked at Sweetgrass.  The Port Director patched the Sheriffs Office through to me and I explained the Montana license plates hadn't came in before I left to got overseas and it was okay my truck was parked ther..

If I moved there (and was somehow able to deceive the population that I was half way normal ;)), and had a fairly believable story about my history, would the people for the most part be inclined to accept me without too many reservations? 

Sure they would, and they would tell all their friends and neighbors about you until some busy body googled your name or story and called  the  Police on you. New folks stand out like a sore thumbs. 

BTW: You are correct in thinking that I have never really had the opportunity to experience any extended period of time in personal interaction with a small town community. I will be the first to admit that someday I'd like to leave where I'm at now, and move to a more rural setting; but I don't know about going as rural as your present address.

I will tell you if you have lived in Urbania all your life you might have a hard time adjusting to to this much slower life.  We aren't as rural you think.  You should come here an look around.  We have everything we need. Hospitals, doctors, shopping, restaurants, bars, casino and lots and lot of good out door recreation.

Now, here are some possible things on the downside of living where you do: If Canada declares war on the U.S., you and Ernie are in some deep stuff. :o

ROFLMAO...

Canada has an Army for Peacekeeping.  They have some very brave soldiers however...they have to be to go to Afghanistan and try to keep peace with the Taliban.  They have lost some of their Soldiers on that mission

I'm assuming (always a dangerous thing) that there's not a slew of ethnic restaurants to dine at. Please tell me there's a place to get good Chinese food.

There use to be a Chinese restaurant over in Shelby.  In Cut Bank we have Pizza Hut,  McDonald's, Subway, Taco John's, The Downtown Deli, Highway 2 cafe, Charlies Pizza Parlor, the Elks Club and one other restaurant. 

The two bigger nearby Cities,  Kallispel 130 miles west and Great Falls 110 miles south have regional medical centers and big box shopping and franchise restaurants, commercial airports. Kalispell has a 5 Guy's Hamburger joint. There is lots of sking over by  Kalispell.  If you want to take the Amtrak to  Chicago you can get that right in Cut  Bank.

Now in closing, what could possibly be more appropriate than the late great (not my opinion) Frank Zappa's composition, "Montana." Don't ask me what the lyrics mean, because I haven't got a clue.

Frank Zappa---stoned, doped out, always a good reliable source for information.

I have lived in the big cities and the conveniences were certainly nice,  but we feel much more comfortable living in the small town. But it isn't for everyone.

We use to have a place north of town.   Here's a picture.

When people came to visit us we would give them these directions to find our house.

Go to Cut  Bank and turn north at the traffic light. Go 25 miles and look for the house. 

They would invariably ask well what color house...the answer, "the only house".

Here is a view of   our nearest neighbor up there.

Sure wish we still had that place...use to shoot cannons right off the back porch.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
I forgot to log out again; another sign that the brain waves are weakening.

Thanks for the pics and descriptions! As I said, I don't have any first hand familiarity with small town life, so I was curious as to how people would react to a total stranger. I'm not trying to be funny here, but by the way you describe it, the writers of the old Andy Griffith show were then pretty accurate in representing how a total stranger moving to the town would get the peoples imaginations all fired up, with the end result being that the poor guy would end up being regarded as 'Jack The Ripper'; that is until Andy's calmer frame of mind prevailed, and he proved to the others that the new guy was just a regular Joe.

Now Douglas don't misunderstand me on this, I personally don't think much of Frank Zappa's so called great talent (or his goofy politics), but to be fair about describing him as a druggie; he always maintained he never did drugs, as did his family, friends and all the musicians that ever worked with him. What makes this plausible to me is the fact that he was so outspoken about everything, including his opinion that all drugs should be legal, even though he didn't care to take them himself. Remember that almost all the rock musicians that were his peers at that time would almost brag about being dopers, it was almost as if they had to broadcast it to prove themselves to their listening public. I think that the truth is that this guy was just a natural born oddball, I don't think he needed any outside influence to make himself weird. It still boggles my mind that there are serious musicians, including classical composers and conductors that regard this guy as a musical near-genius (I sure don't).

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
I forgot to log out again; another sign that the brain waves are weakening.

Thanks for the pics and descriptions! As I said, I don't have any first hand familiarity with small town life, so I was curious as to how people would react to a total stranger. I'm not trying to be funny here, but by the way you describe it, the writers of the old Andy Griffith show were then pretty accurate in representing how a total stranger moving to the town would get the peoples imaginations all fired up, with the end result being that the poor guy would end up being regarded as 'Jack The Ripper'; that is until Andy's calmer frame of mind prevailed, and he proved to the others that the new guy was just a regular Joe.

Sorry, very wrong impression all together.  Imaginations would be no more fired up than any where else.  Most everyone would be just Like Andy to use your comparison and would take you at your word.  But they aren't stupid.  Just because folks live out in the country don't mean they don't have street smarts. 

Now Douglas don't misunderstand me on this, I personally don't think much of Frank Zappa's so called great talent (or his goofy politics), but to be fair about describing him as a druggie; he always maintained he never did drugs, as did his family, friends and all the musicians that ever worked with him. What makes this plausible to me is the fact that he was so outspoken about everything, including his opinion that all drugs should be legal, even though he didn't care to take them himself. Remember that almost all the rock musicians that were his peers at that time would almost brag about being dopers, it was almost as if they had to broadcast it to prove themselves to their listening public. I think that the truth is that this guy was just a natural born oddball, I don't think he needed any outside influence to make himself weird. It still boggles my mind that there are serious musicians, including classical composers and conductors that regard this guy as a musical near-genius (I sure don't).

Sorry, maybe a wrong impression about Zappa, but I don't think so.  I am not a student of that culture, his type never impressed me.   Elmer  Keith, Bill Jordon and Skeeter Skelton were more my type!
 ]

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
  Elmer  Keith, Bill Jordon and Skeeter Skelton were more my type!
 ]

Always admired Skeeter Skelton. I'm reading about Elmer Keith now. DD, Did you ever meet any of these guys.
Something tells me they probably would have enjoyed shooting mortars and cannons.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Yeah, Douglas sure did manage to mention three great masters of the pisolver (pistol/revolver) in reply no. 23.

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
Yeah, Douglas sure did manage to mention three great masters of the pisolver (pistol/revolver) in reply no. 23.

Jordon twice at the  NRA convention and at a shooting exhibition.  Good hand shake , very pleasant How do you do.  Absolutely breath taking shooter.

Keith at the  NRA convention, in letters and on the telephone. Enjoyable to talk with.  Have some of his letters around here some where.  He gave some  brass for my 41  Magnum and sold me a H&G 4 cavity mould for the .41.  Enjoyed talking with him very much.  I have shoot from his memorial shooting bench in  Salmon.

Skeeter Skelton-never met, like his writing.  Met his son. Once professionally and once socially.  Strange person, he left no impression. It was like you only thought you met him.  Very strange.  Professionally he appeared very thorough and competent.