Author Topic: 94 AE scope base problem  (Read 841 times)

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
94 AE scope base problem
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »
Anyone else ever have a problem mounting Leupold standard bases to a 94AE? My problem is that when I snug the screws down on the rear base, the front of it lifts off the receiver on both sides. I've put a straight edge on the receiver and cannot see any high or low spots along the rails, same with the base. Screw holes are clean and the screw don't bind.
  I sent Leupold pics and they were at a loss as well. I don't know anyone else with a 94AE to try my base on to rule out my gun as the problem, so I guess I'll try another base. I had Weaver bases on it before with no problems, but I didn't like the height of them. Any ideas?

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: 94 AE scope base problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:58:59 AM »
Have you straight-edged the Leupold base you have on hand, incase it's not true ?

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline 277284

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
Could you post the picture here.  I am interested in this.

Offline fastchicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:13:40 AM »
   I'll get the pics up later this afternoon, but I found the problem was that my receiver has low spots at the screw holes and the Leupold base does not extend past the holes enough to bridge the low spot. When the screws are snugged down, it pulls the rear of the base down, hence  the tilt.
 The area is so small that shimming would not work, there just isn't enough bearing surface on those skinny receiver rails, and trying to fill the low spots would just cover the holes. I'm too cheap to have a smith true the rails plus I dont want to have it cut on.  One other thing I might try as a shim though is to wrap the mounting screws with some thin wire strands to make a washer of sorts. If that doesn't work,  I'm going to try the Waever Grand Slam 1 piece base. I figured with being one piece, it won't be able to tilt.

Offline fastchicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
pics