Author Topic: nikon 3x9x40 monarch opinions  (Read 734 times)

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
nikon 3x9x40 monarch opinions
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
rigging up a new 06 on a 700 action, first new bolt gun in several years (15+) theres a nikon monarch at a good price  at a local shop.
 Ive always used redfields/weavers in the past , when such were considered a mid to high end scope.
not so much nowadays as I understand it.
 anyone know any major drawbacks to the monarchs vs a vx2 or 3
price is always an issue these days, the monarch is 240 and gets good to excellent reviews
a vx2 is slightly more and a vx3 is considerably more.

this is going to be my new all round big game rig, figure 300 yard max range shots on deer or elk if I can still do my part.
the fun part will be working up a loading for it and learning to shoot at distance again,
is a monarch a good match for the rifle or is there a better price/quality scope out there that im missing

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: nikon 3x9x40 monarch opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
I have one on a 12ga. slug gun-lots of recoil and it has held up fine. The glass is hard to beat. It has plenty eye relief and should fit the 700 well.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:48:29 AM »
the monarchs are great scopes and for that price a real bargin.
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:26:21 AM »
IMHO you'll like the Monarch. My son has one and rates it better than his Leupold Vari-X II 2.5x8. I had an older Monarch 2x7 I liked. The reason I sold it is I wanted a heavier reticle for my hunting.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »
I've been happy with the monarchs. The bdc has been accurate on 4 different calibers. IMHO a better buy than a vx-II even if they were the same price. They are very clear to my eyes and the brightness is very good as well. If every penny counts, would be 225 shipped from http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Nikon_8464_Monarch_UCC_3_9x40mm_Matte_Rifle_Scope_p/NK8464.htm

I like the vortex vipers just as well. They are a little higher, but have the no fault lifetime warranty. I can't really say I like a monarch or viper over one another. If you can live with a 2-7 this is an amazing deal.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx Of coarse the bdc is going to be matched up to standards and magnums just like any other, though the specs are saying .223. I have one on a .308 and it matches up perfectly. If you don't want the bdc you can get a few other reticules.
Molon labe

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
I bought the monarch today, Im out of town on business and habitually check sporting goods/pawn shops for deals.  This evening I found a 3x9x40 monarch ucc  for 211 out the door, clearanced at sportsmans warehouse in southhaven ms. I got the last one, and am really happy to get one at that price.