Author Topic: Any Handis in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Any Handis in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK?
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
I finally get my chance to visit the beautiful state of Alaska!!! I'm going to Fairbanks (Ft Wainwright) in early April. Are there any good candy shops with Handis there? Is it warm enough then for shorts? ;D

UPDATE:
  I have a few details to work-out tomorrow, but it looks like I will pass on some savings to the folks at Ft. Richardson and make a stop there while I'm in AK. They seem to be excited about having the discount training opportunity since Ft Wainwright is paying for our travel to and from AK. ;)

I can't wait!!!!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Any Handis in Fairbanks, AK?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
Dinny, you will want to keep your long pants on till usually June.  Welcome to Ft WW.  I no longer work there, but the wife does.  Most likely you will meet her after you arrive.  She generally does the Claims Briefings for JAG.  Short little lady with reddish hair, Mrs. Hunter.  Look me up when you arrive and we can go to lunch or dinner somewhere and I can fill you in on things happening up here.  KP (He's been the first sgt for the aviation unit) informed me he was coming and I helped him get to know his way around.  If you look in the Hunting In Alaska forum you will see his and his son's Caribou from 2009.

PM me with your information, do you have a family?  I can give you helpful information about Fairbanks and the surrounding area.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
Well, you'll get to see break-up soon after you get there. I was there '87 to '90. Should have never left. Interior Alaska is the greatest place on Earth!
Take your sunglasses, it can be hard to sleep when the Sun is up at Midnight!
First chance you get go to Mt. Mckinley National Park, take the bus ride, and raft the river. It's not that far away (by Alaska standards), and it is a good way to de-stress the family after a big move. And, it is a heck of a learning experience. I saw the weather change more in one day in the park than I ever thought was possible. Short sleeves in one valley, snowing in the next...in July!
I have 3 lifetimes of memories from my short 4 years up there, some of the best times in my life happened on Ft. Wainwright.
By the way, the Salmon fishing under the Bailey Bridge at the golf course is pretty good, and is just a short walk from the Aviation Hangers.
Les
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »
Enjoy AK Dinny. I have only been trying to get there the last 13 years. A girl in the office next to me has been in less than 2 years just got orders to Elmendorf. I am jealous of both of you. I am still waiting to see how my deferment goes for Germany.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:04:40 AM »
So the military does have some perk's :-X Congrats Dinny and thanks to you all for your service. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:12:25 AM »
Congrats Dinny!  Keep us posted of your adventures.  I live vicariously through guys like you and Sourdough.  I may live long enough to get there one day myself.

Thanks for your service,

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:47:31 AM »
Awesome! 8)
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
HogFan:  Guys like you make me feel guilty.  I spent 15 of my 20 up here.  Three tours to Eielson, and one tour to Elmendorf.  Then I went to Elmendorf for a tour with the wife after I retired.  Then when she retired we decided to just move back since we still owned a home here in North Pole.  Now she works at Ft WW.

Mechanic:  Don't wait too long.  Come up while you can enjoy the outdoors.  Like OSOK says Mt McKinnley is a great area.  Rafting the Nenana River Canyon is rough but lots of fun.  I personally prefer to hike along the Denali Highway.  More game than the park, and should you have an altercation with a Grizzly, you can at least protect yourself.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
Sorry for the confusion :-[ I was a little too excited and forgot to mention that it's just for TDY. ::) I will be there for only 3-4 days.

Roger, I'll let you know the exact dates as soon as I have them. I would also be interested in knowing good places to eat dinner. Any wild cuisine available?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
So much to do and so little time!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
Four days,Alaska is so big it will take that long to cross the runway

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »
A question Dinny:  I think we know you're a Medic, but you seem to get a lot of TDY.  Are you going for training or are you an instructor?  Just curious.  I'd see if I could take some leave while I was up there.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Four Days?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »
One day to unpack and get settled in, two days to work, and another for travel out.  Leaves two days....as mentioned, you can't cross the runway in two days!
Worked Ramp pushing cargo at Elmendorf for awhile, oldest son was 101st, ended up at Richardson, now that he's retired, he's back up with his family, and his wife is a postmistress at one of them little one person post offices in a wide spot in the road between Wasilla and Denali.
I saw more game in the parking lot of the BX than I did pounding around the bush.  Interesting to have Mrs. Bullwinkle sniffin' the vittles in the back of the pickup!
Didn't much care for the "Combat Fishing"......
Last time I was in Fairbanks, there was a little bar/cafe downtown that made one helluva Reuben sandwich, and it, with a nice dark beer sure made a heckuva lunch!
Have fun, and I believe you'll be making plans for your next visit not long after you get back.  The place is magic!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:34:24 AM »
A question Dinny:  I think we know you're a Medic, but you seem to get a lot of TDY.  Are you going for training or are you an instructor?  Just curious.  I'd see if I could take some leave while I was up there.
Pete

Pete,
  I'm an instructor who teaches the procedures for global patient movement utilizing a $300 million software program developed for DoD. I'm planning on taking at least 2 days of leave while I'm there. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
Re: Any Handis in Anchorage or Fairbanks, AK?
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:49 PM »
Dinny, I kinda knew you were an instructor.  You've been through too much to be a student.  Have fun up there and know you're loved and appreciated.  If we can help with any of your projects, shout....ya hear? 

I've always thought of myself as a brave man, but I couldn't work with the wounded the way you do.  Thank you, my son.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
Dinny, I kinda knew you were an instructor.  You've been through too much to be a student.  Have fun up there and know you're loved and appreciated.  If we can help with any of your projects, shout....ya hear? 
I've always thought of myself as a brave man, but I couldn't work with the wounded the way you do.  Thank you, my son.
Pete

Pete,
  As always, your gratitude is much appreciated and honored. I see the wounded much differently than others may. I also see them as the product of my teachings. When someone asks me what I'm doing at work, I simply reply with, "Saving Lives!"

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
Bless Ya Kiddo.  I sometimes wonder how many of our troops owe their lives to you.  I'd love to go with you if and when you go back to battle, but I'd rather be shooting their soldiers and making THEIR medics work overtime.  I can carry wounded, but want no part in trying to put them back together.

Enjoy Alaska.  I wish I could share it with you.

Pete

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »
Bless Ya Kiddo.  I sometimes wonder how many of our troops owe their lives to you. I'd love to go with you if and when you go back to battle, but I'd rather be shooting their soldiers and making THEIR medics work overtime.  I can carry wounded, but want no part in trying to put them back together.
Pete

I know for a fact, there's 16 alive today because I did what I was trained to do in combat. Those 16 will never forget my name or face. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline KLRKeith

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Dinny man I was up there at Eielson for 9 years working at Arctic Survival.  Both the bx and px sold firearms when I left in 04.  There were more than a few years when ice out on the lakes didnt happen till the last week in May so bring the poly pro.  Snowshoe hares are a fun way to spend a day hunting in the spring; espically around the Ft Greely area.
Thanks for your continued service to our Nation.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »
Dinny man I was up there at Eielson for 9 years working at Arctic Survival.  Both the bx and px sold firearms when I left in 04.  There were more than a few years when ice out on the lakes didnt happen till the last week in May so bring the poly pro.  Snowshoe hares are a fun way to spend a day hunting in the spring; espically around the Ft Greely area.
Thanks for your continued service to our Nation.

If I get any personal time, it will likely be spent shooting pictures instead of wild animals. I hope someday to get stationed in AK and then I will take advantage of all she has to offer.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 02:33:17 AM »
Dinny,

Enjoy the TDY just the same. I am hoping to get up to AK to visit as well. We have friends going back to Anchorage in July, so that might be an excuse to get up there. The only thing is he doesn't hunt.

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:33 AM »
HogFan:  Guys like you make me feel guilty.  I spent 15 of my 20 up here.  Three tours to Eielson, and one tour to Elmendorf.  Then I went to Elmendorf for a tour with the wife after I retired.  Then when she retired we decided to just move back since we still owned a home here in North Pole.  Now she works at Ft WW.

Don't feel quilty on my account. You just got the luck of the draw. I know the AF is starting to move people more often again mainly as OCONUS and Overseas bases are getting stalemated with the same folks all the time. Heck, who knows, I may wind up there yet.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
Bless Ya Kiddo.  I sometimes wonder how many of our troops owe their lives to you. I'd love to go with you if and when you go back to battle, but I'd rather be shooting their soldiers and making THEIR medics work overtime.  I can carry wounded, but want no part in trying to put them back together.
Pete

I know for a fact, there's 16 alive today because I did what I was trained to do in combat. Those 16 will never forget my name or face. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny, not many of us, if any, can make that statement.  What a satisfaction that has to be!!  Sixteen alive because of you.!!!  That is something to be very proud of.  Thank you......again.....and Again.

Pete

Offline phatgemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
If anyone ever gets a chance to go, the caribou on Adak are HUGE!!!!!!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
UPDATE: I fly into Fairbanks on 3 APR and teach there from 4-8 APR. Then I travel down to Anchorage for the weekend and teach on the 11th and 12th. I fly home on the 14th.

I'm really excited about having the great opportunity to see AK!!

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
Dinny, why don't you just TELL THEM you want a couple weeks to do what YOU WANT ;D  Have a good time and a safe trip. It may be short but will be beautiful ;) Enjoy 8)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
Rog and others,
  I'll be in Fairbanks from 4-6 April. On the 6th, I teach a morning class for a few hours and later that night (8:30), I fly to Anchorage. I'm teaching there for a few days (7-8) and then staying with a friend in Palmer for the weekend.
  I'm certainly up for visiting with fellow GBO members to discuss NEF/H&R Centerfire Rifles ;) or some recommendations on where to find good food in town. Please PM me for contact info.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline phatgemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
Be careful if the Great Alaskan Bush Company is still in Anchorage!!

Offline Tony

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
I live in Anchorage, and I hit the local gun shops about every two weeks when I get back from the slope. I odn't see a lot of Handi rifles around or even H&R / NEF shotguns. However Gun Traders on Muldoon always has about 2-5 Handi rifles for sale. Great Northern Guns on Wright Street which off of Tudor has therm once in awhile for some descent prices. Ammo King on Bragaw also has them once in a blue moon and they are normally used guns. Although I have never seen any Handi's at Ammo Can on Spenard they always have some smoking deals on used firearms and the owner Lou is great to deal with. On another note the Bush Company is still up and running and they serve really cold beer amonst other things. If I wasn't working during the time you are going to be in Anchorage I would gladly take you to the various gun stores. I hope this helps.

Tony
Certified Glock Armorer

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
Tony,
  Thanks for the info, I have a starting point now.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine