Author Topic: Just setup the press, some questions  (Read 1458 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Just setup the press, some questions
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
I had another question.  When i was shooting the 460 reloads, I was noticing there was a a lot more soot like stuff on the outside of the empty cases, and there was also a ring of black on the breech.

All the .460 rounds were longer than stock shells, but I was only having the issues with the ones I reloaded.

Any ideas?

This sometimes happens when a load is not sufficient to seal the case to the chamber.  I don't know how high you are loading, but you might try a little hotter load, or better yet, just neck size the brass if you are not using it in more than one gun. 

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Gdbyrd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Just setup the press, some questions
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »
I had another question.  When i was shooting the 460 reloads, I was noticing there was a a lot more soot like stuff on the outside of the empty cases, and there was also a ring of black on the breech.

All the .460 rounds were longer than stock shells, but I was only having the issues with the ones I reloaded.

Any ideas?

This sometimes happens when a load is not sufficient to seal the case to the chamber.  I don't know how high you are loading, but you might try a little hotter load, or better yet, just neck size the brass if you are not using it in more than one gun. 

Ben

Thanks for the advice!  I think you're right on the first account.  I was reloading at the lower end.  I'll bump it up another grain or two and see if that helps.