Author Topic: The Judge Handgun... Good Self Defense Handgun or Not??  (Read 28800 times)

Offline temmi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: The Judge Handgun... Good Self Defense Handgun or Not??
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
For what it is it is just too darn big...

Snake

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
HMMMM, most everyone here seems pretty polarized, love or hate.  I don't have one but have sold several.  Some buy em for snake guns and they work well for that.  Most folks can't keep the presence of mind to shoot accurately at a snake that has scared them with a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt.  Others have bought them for home defense, short across the room distances.  Also no worry about the pellets going through the wall into a kids room or the neighbors house.  I think it has a place in the self defence arena, not for everyone but what is?  The size fits in a handgun vault by the bed, my shotguns do not.  That is a concern for me now with my 7 year old and his friends in the house.  Don't know if I will get one, I think my double actions revolvers with my Speer plastic caps filled with shot will do the job for me.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Savage

« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »
dpe,
Just wondering if you've patterned your shot cap loads? I've loaded the shot caps in .38/.357 for snakes. Beyond 5-6' mine have been pretty useless. Within that range they do make a mess out of a cottonmouth! I'm thinking at 15', you'd be lucky to hit a man size target with half a dozen shot, much less deliver enough energy to stop a determined opponent. I've tried them in 2" and  4" barrels. Hope your loads perform better than mine. Hummmmmmmm, gets me thinking! I still have some of the shot capsules as well as a few of the factory loaded ones. Might be time to do a little experimenting!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »
If you shoot buck shot I would worry about going thru. sheetrock. If your load won't go thru. sheetrock I would worry about failure to stop an attack.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline joe 1951

« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
y'll left out one thing...a lot of people who would never own or shoot a gun befor are buying them,a lot of them have found that they like 'em.[guns that is ]so a lot of new shooters got startered .And this is needed in any sport!! ;D

Offline EastKY_DO

« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:59 AM »
y'll left out one thing...a lot of people who would never own or shoot a gun befor are buying them,a lot of them have found that they like 'em.[guns that is ]so a lot of new shooters got startered .And this is needed in any sport!! ;D

Joe, you make the best argument I've heard yet for the Judge.  I don't personally own or want one, but I have a couple of friends that do & they love them.  Anything that gets more people into the shooting sports is a good thing.

Doc

NRA Benefactor

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »

I agree 100% we need to alow  room for everyone.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »

but is a bad start good ?

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »

That is a matter of opinion...

Offline FPH

« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
I was going to buy one for my wife.  My buddy has two of them.  He said they pattern so badly  that I was welcome to one of them, he just didn't recommend them.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

That is a matter of opinion...

Why of course it is opinion there are good ones and bad ones also. Mine happen to be good .  ;)

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
Thats a matter of opinion also.. ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »
Yep !  ;D
Truth is I see the gun as a gimick . If it works for others good for them . I hope if it is ever needed for self defense it works well.
 It is marketed as a SD gun say in a hijacking . If so why such a long gun with a long cyl. making it easy to grab and tie the gun up ? or making DA trigger pull harder with more cyl. to turn ? I dare say none of these concerns are mentioned to "new" shooters buying one for the first time.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
If we all simply liked the same gun....we'd all own the same gun! Where would the fun or pride in ownership be then? I've a friend that owns a Judge and he loves it though he rarely actualy shoots it. To me it's a bit pricy and more gimmick than practical but my opinions no better than another. All opinions are just that, opinion. If it works for you, holds up, you can afford it, you're happy with it, then all other opinions are just fluff and of little true value.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
If we all simply liked the same gun....we'd all own the same gun! Where would the fun or pride in ownership be then? I've a friend that owns a Judge and he loves it though he rarely actualy shoots it. To me it's a bit pricy and more gimmick than practical but my opinions no better than another. All opinions are just that, opinion. If it works for you, holds up, you can afford it, you're happy with it, then all other opinions are just fluff and of little true value.

sorta like a wife  ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »

sorta like a wife  ;D

Exactamundo! lol Don't know about you but my wife of 39 years sometimes swears I'm married to my guns!  ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »
34 years here and she says the same thing

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

Well, if you ever get sent to the doghouse you can stay with me till things blow over. I've got a nifty treehouse with a front porch that beats the doghouse any day. ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »

Well, if you ever get sent to the doghouse you can stay with me till things blow over. I've got a nifty treehouse with a front porch that beats the doghouse any day. ;)

been thinking of building something like that for a deer hunting blind . The older I get the more comfort I like  ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

been thinking of building something like that for a deer hunting blind . The older I get the more comfort I like  ;D

Man I hear that. I've hunted out of this one. In bad weather deer like bedding down underneath it. I'm facing heart valve replacement pretty soon.I've already had a tripple bypass and stents. ( That Agent Orange & Pink crap) I find out just when the 26th and my son has been pampering me. My birthday is the 29th and he gave me a present a bit early, a new Bone Collector Series Doghouse blind. Used it bow hunting Saturday, it was  raining all day. I was pretty apreciative of the blind. He got himself one too. We didn't get a shot at anything but got to see a huge 8pt just outta bow range and a large flock of turkeys. another 10 yards and one would have made it's way into my smoker. ;) Was nice sitting out of the weather and watching the show. :)

Offline FPH

« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
HMMMM, most everyone here seems pretty polarized, love or hate.  I don't have one but have sold several.  Some buy em for snake guns and they work well for that.  Most folks can't keep the presence of mind to shoot accurately at a snake that has scared them with a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt.  Others have bought them for home defense, short across the room distances.  Also no worry about the pellets going through the wall into a kids room or the neighbors house.  I think it has a place in the self defence arena, not for everyone but what is?  The size fits in a handgun vault by the bed, my shotguns do not.  That is a concern for me now with my 7 year old and his friends in the house.  Don't know if I will get one, I think my double actions revolvers with my Speer plastic caps filled with shot will do the job for me.  DP

My friend bought his two ( one for him and one for his son) to kill rattle snakes on his ranch......they patterened so badly they just took to carrying a mag. of CCI shot for their .45 ACPs.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
There is no shot shell, 45 or otherwise that patterns better than any 2 3/4 in .410 shotgun shell in the Judge. Been there done that, got the t-shirt. Just compare the two test side by side.

PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline FPH

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
There is no shot shell, 45 or otherwise that patterns better than any 2 3/4 in .410 shotgun shell in the Judge. Been there done that, got the t-shirt. Just compare the two test side by side.

PAH

I disagree.......I've seen the pattern from both the .410 from two Judges and a .45 CCI shot shell.  The .45 won hands down.  The Judges were terrible.  Been there did do that and compared the two patterns side by side.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »

PAH

I also disagree got the hat tee shirt was to small.  ;)

I disagree.......I've seen the pattern from both the .410 from two Judges and a .45 CCI shot shell.  The .45 won hands down.  The Judges were terrible.  Been there did do that and compared the two patterns side by side.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2012, 03:34:19 AM »
HUMMMMM-WELL NOW----Since I am in a kind of bottom line mood this moring, I will have my say.
Anything is good if it does the job------NOW---if'n it fails to do the job-----well, you know---who in the heck will care. You certainly won't be around to debate the issue.
Be responsible for yourownself---probably won't be none of us around to watch.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline FPH

« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:53 AM »
HUMMMMM-WELL NOW----Since I am in a kind of bottom line mood this moring, I will have my say.
Anything is good if it does the job------NOW---if'n it fails to do the job-----well, you know---who in the heck will care. You certainly won't be around to debate the issue.
Be responsible for yourownself---probably won't be none of us around to watch.
Blessings

I agree, I was testing the Judge as a snake gun for my wife.......it turned out to good only for a boat anchor for me!  I will be going with something like the Snake Charmer for her and I'll stick with my 1911.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
Gee maybe we have different Judges..... .45 shot shells, cut me a break. Then just go to a 3 in Judge, still not enough for a snake? Come on.

Maybe you NEED BUCK shot for those monster snakes. You are comparing a .45 ACP or LC shell with bird shot to a full blown shotgun shell .410 in 2 3/4 in or 3 in. with 4 or 6 shot? That does not compute in my book.

PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline FPH

« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »
Gee maybe we have different Judges..... .45 shot shells, cut me a break. Then just go to a 3 in Judge, still not enough for a snake? Come on.

Maybe you NEED BUCK shot for those monster snakes. You are comparing a .45 ACP or LC shell with bird shot to a full blown shotgun shell .410 in 2 3/4 in or 3 in. with 4 or 6 shot? That does not compute in my book.

PAH

Shotgun shell isn't any good if it blows a bad pattern......you take your Judge, I'll take my .45

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »
There is one model or manufacturer who builds the judge to shoot the 454 casull, 45 long colt and the 410 shotgun shell too.  This gives us a choice of a heavy hitting 454 casull,  or a 45long colt or a 410 shotshell with "00" or a slug.  I don't have one yet but it raised my interest.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
BFR I think made/makes that gun.
Big Fine Revolver  ;D ;)