Author Topic: I won a Judge pistol at the Pheasants forever banquet, now what?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline JJHACK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
I won a Judge pistol at the Pheasants forever banquet, now what?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
So I have this Judge pistol now, 6.5" barrel, Stainless Steel, 2.5" cylinder.

I rather doubt I would ever shoot bullets or slugs from this thing. I have a S&W 44 mag mountain gun for that kind of need.

I Guess I would like to shoot shot only and buckshot? What brand or shot size works best for this thing. With a rifled barrel I gotta think it's gonna spin the shot into a huge cloud of lead right out of the barrel. Has anyone developed a load that balances the rifling problem?

Guess I'll go buy some 4 shot to see what happens? I just know that with my 2" long 44 mag shot shells custom made I cannot get a pattern to work beyond 10 feet, not sure I see this Judge working better then that?

Any input suggestions on ammo?

www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
Re: I won a Judge pistol at the Pheasants forever banquet, now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
Quite a few of the major manufacturers are making .410 ammo specific to the Judge now.  Google is your friend!  I'd probably trade it right off if I won it though. ;D
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
Hi JJ:

Fool around with the gun and have some fun. Get some #4 shot and stick a grapefruit on a box, walk back about 6ft and blast it. Or a small watermelon.

Also Federal & Winchester just came out with .410 Buckshot from Federal and defense loads from Winchester, JUST for The Judge. Cabelas carries both. The Federal are four #00 buck shot at 1200 FPS, from the 3in Judge!! The Winchester shell is called PDX1, 3 Plated cylinder projectiles and 12 playted BB's.

Get some clay birds, throw them in the air with your left hand, and shoot them with your right, #6 shot works fine.  8)

Also shoot some 45 LC through it. I hand load a 200 grain lead SMC, 10 grains of Unique, and get over 1000 FPS. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Heck you won the gun, play around, if it's not your cup of tea, just trade or sell it. I bought mine, and still like shooting it.
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:46 AM »
I would trade it for something while it's still brand new to get the best trade in value.  ;D

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »
Congratulations

I would trade it for something while it's still brand new to get the best trade in value.  ;D

Ditto, unless you really do have a need for what the Judge is designed for.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:29:36 AM »
I read somewhere the 410 shot is only good for about 25', and the 45LC is only accurate to about 25 yards because of the travel distance in the long cylinder to the barrel rifling.  Good snake and varmit gun at short range.  I use a 44 mag with shot shells for snakes at close range. 

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:42 AM »
The Judge was designed for up close self defense. 7 yards and within. If you are looking for a 25 yard 45 Colt, don't choose the Judge.

In the Judge the buckshot and 45 Colts are best for people. The shot is great for snakes.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »
i will give you $100 for the old mountain gun
now that you have a gun that will  do EVERYTHING....you wont need the 44

i have the super conanche.......single shot  410/ 45lc

good for snakes and rats  to about 20 feet
been wanting to try it for accuracy  with 45...... different loads  so far not impressed

i guess for  self defence  it would be  ok  with 000 buck shot

they are sure  popular......for some reason

congradulation on your new  toy
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »
I'm sure everything has it's price......... however my Mtn Gun has killed at least 100 bears, and dispatched about an equal amount of African game, on finishing shots or follow up shots. I added the trijicon sights for night use. It's a gem I will likely take to my grave.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
well  with that history  i can't afford  your  mountain gun

i do like the 629 smiths....owned 4 now....love to have a mountain gun  tho

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Brett

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
They are immensely popular, why I don't know, so you should have no problem selling it.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
Hi JJ:

Also Federal & Winchester just came out with .410 Buckshot from Federal and defense loads from Winchester, JUST for The Judge. Cabelas carries both. The Federal are four #00 buck shot at 1200 FPS, from the 3in Judge!! The Winchester shell is called PDX1, 3 Plated cylinder projectiles and 12 playted BB'

I don't find that 1200 fps buckshot load on Federal's website. What I do see is four 000 buck at 850 fps,   five 000 buck at 775 fps or  nine #4 buck at 950 fps.   If they did indeed produce 1200 fps that would be somewhere around 800 ft. lbs. total energy depending on the actual weight of the pellets.  From a 3" .410  revolver???  I wouldn't care to fire it.  At 850 fps the total energy would be over 400 ft.lb., still plenty potent and much more believable.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
I guess i dont care for them enough that i would go out and buy one but if it were given to me i might play with it a while. to me they kind of fall into a black hole. There not that great for self defense. There to big and heavy and hard to conseal and most loads lack penetration. There not a good game gun because they dont hold a pattern out far enough. They dont shoot 45colts well so thats out for hunting but might be the best bet if a guy wanted to use one for self defence. That been said they might be kind of fun to fool with at that range for a while. One good thing is like was posted earlier they are in demand and it would be easy to sell or swap for something you really want.
blue lives matter

Offline hogcowboy

• Do everything like your life depends on it.
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 03:45:53 AM »
Since you won it and don't want it,  trade in or better yet,  give it to someone who does want one.  You would feel good inside.

Patriot Guard Rider

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
How did this get to the point in the thread where is was said or implied that I don't want it? The Internet is kinda whacky eh! people read and understand things that are never said but seem to create them from there own imagination. Then at least to them it must seem like it is real?

Huh? That was just as whacky as what I'm reading here now, must be contagious!

Offline ShootnStr8

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
To add to the whackiness:  I am watching the movie Three Kings and lo and behold a guy was just shooting at a helicopter with the Judge.  The Judge wasn't very effective.  It took a football laced with explosives to bring the chopper down -- thrown by none other than Ice Cube!  Don't know what the anti-air needs are in Alaska but I would recommend the explosive spiked football over the Judge.  Just thinking that maybe you can identify what the Judge is good for by eliminating those things that it isn't.   ;D

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Brett

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
How did this get to the point in the thread where is was said or implied that I don't want it? The Internet is kinda whacky eh! people read and understand things that are never said but seem to create them from there own imagination. Then at least to them it must seem like it is real?

I guess we all assumed that you were a rational person, seeing how you are a member of this fine forum, and figured you would be wanting to unload that albatross.  ;D 

Offline cheapshooter

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
Winchester PDX1 2 1/2" 3 defensive diske, and 12 copper plated BB shot each.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx
This 3 shot group was shot from my Public defender Poly with a 2" barrel @ 7 yds.

And don't count out the 45LC option. Again with the PDP 2". 200 gr. lead Cowboy Action loads. 5 shots @ 7 Yds.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:45 AM »

I stand corrected JJ :-[ had to go back and pick out this line tho.

I Guess I would like to shoot shot only and buckshot?

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:23 AM »
JJ, I sold my Judge. Wish I would of kept it.. They will do a great job on people and small game up close.  I picked up a Bond Arms Derringer 45/410, and I am having a blast with it.  I could careless what other people think or there opinion of the gun. I have owned and shot one. I bet none of them would stand in front of one and take 5 shots, and live to tell anyone they were junk or useless. .  Just sayin!  ;D ;)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:27 AM »
Winchester PDX1 2 1/2" 3 defensive diske, and 12 copper plated BB shot each.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx
This 3 shot group was shot from my Public defender Poly with a 2" barrel @ 7 yds.

And don't count out the 45LC option. Again with the PDP 2". 200 gr. lead Cowboy Action loads. 5 shots @ 7 Yds.

Looks like they hit there mark!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 04:28:23 AM »
I was pretty open minded and optimistic with this. Seemed like a very interesting gun with some fun potential. Although I don't see the need for a Self Defense handgun in my bedroom. I figure if somebody wants to make an unfriendly visit some night the 12 gauge is the best option and leaves nothing to contemplate for success. Handguns Just never seem like the right choice for this situation, at least to me. Plus I live on a farm and odds are slim and none that somebody would choose this house to "visit" with bad intentions. Most every body living here is armed and dangerous! Burglary would be better managed in less conservative more densely populated areas.

So with that out of the way, my weekend of entertainment with many kinds of ammo was a rather disappointing event with the Judge. at 20 yards about 1 in 5 shots would hit an empty soda can. With that shot, sometimes 2-3 #6 shot would hit the can. At 10 yards I could hit it 3 times, or maybe only one time and still just a few pellets hit the can. At 15 feet I could hit the can every time, but again just a few pellets.

The Buckshot was one big hole at 15 feet, and at 10 yards missed an 8X11 sheet of paper every single time. I tried about 3-4 different brands, and various distances out to 25 yards. Seems this firearm is tool you measure in feet not yards. Someplace from 5 feet to 12 feet seems about right for bird shot. Maybe 15-20 feet for buckshot, and slugs were grouping about 10" at 20 yards.

The concept and the function seem to intersect someplace at or under 10-15 feet. So it's looking like the excitement of winning a gun has been doused in ice water. I'm not seeing any functional purpose for this design. It simply does nothing good, It reminds me of the superman series where the bad guy shoots all his bullets with superman standing looking at him, with the bullets bouncing off. Then the bad guy throws the gun at him and superman ducks the flying gun. That seems to me about the same. You could shoot all 5 times and then more likely get a direct hit throwing the gun at the bad guy.

By the way, how come superman ducks the flying gun, but can take a direct hit from a bullet?

Offline Brett

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
Can't say we didn't warn you.

Offline cheapshooter

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with your Judge. Your results are rather surprising to me. I didn't expect my 2" barreled Public Defender to be anything as accurate as it is. (see my post above)
I did try some #4 shot, and the pattern was spread way too much for anything I would see it useful for.
What buckshot rounds did you use. I have heard that the standard buckshot loads available don't work well. I used Winchester PDX1 which are made for handguns. I also tried Federal 410 Handgun loads in the #4, and 00 buckshot. The Federal Buckshot with 4 #00 shot also worked very good at 10 yards.

That's 4 holes near the 9 @ 9 O'Clock, 4 more at 12 O'Clock, and 4 in the center.
And this is all with a 2" barrel, off hand, rapid fire @ 10 yds.
If the Judge isn't for you, I'm sure you can get a decent price out of it to put toward something that fits your needs better.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
Yep:

The regular Winchester Buckshot loads were terrible in my Judge. The PDX1's I have yet to fire, but I do have a box. The new Federal buckshot loads shot great at 10 yards.

I back up my buckshot loads for SD with (3) .45 LC's 200 grain SWC @ over 1,000 fps. Hits harder than a .38 special.

Regards Jim P.
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com