Author Topic: Want to mount a shotgun scope on my .22 Hornet Handi - rifle  (Read 1531 times)

Offline fat tony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Want to mount a shotgun scope on my .22 Hornet Handi - rifle
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
Hello, I have been perusing the faq looking for a set up with a shotgun scope with the end of the objective bell of the scope flush with the breech end of the barrel.  I want a base that is sturdy with a lot of weight out the front not like the Weaver Base, that is very short and just dangling out there. I read the info, but I am not exactly sure which base would be the best one for this. I see this as a good solution as i don't like the scopes sky high with the objective dangling 3 inches over the end of the breech end of the barrel. Best regards, Tony. I also need someone who will ship north of the 49th.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

John Diefenbaker, July 1, 1960

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Want to mount a shotgun scope on my .22 Hornet Handi - rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Non-businesses can ship optics to Canada but businesses need an export permit, I've shipped a couple scopes north with no problems, just mark the customs declaration. The discontinued Ultra base works, but the Weaver #82 will work just as well for the shotgun scope, you can always cut new slots in it if needed, that's covered in the FAQs in the modified weaver base link. There are only so many bases made for an H&R, they're all in the FAQs, some have mounted small shotgun scopes with both rings on one side of the turret saddle instead of one ahead and one behind.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
I don't have the necessary here to be certain but look at AtLaw's rig that he posted a picture of.  It's possible that the addition of offset rings mounted all the way forward might solve your problem.  Goatwhiskers

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
I've got a 30-30 takedown/survival handi project going right now that I was trying to do the same thing with.  I used an evolution gunworks base from optics planet.  It is the longest base Ive ever seen for a handi, although I would recommend a set screw since it hangs so far out there.  Along with weaver quad-lock extension rings, i can put the ocular lens a good 3/4"ahead of the breechface
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
Save your money on the EGW base($30), the forward slot of the Weaver #82 ($8) is the just as far forward as the EGW base in a side by side comparison, the EGW is about ¼" longer, but it's of no use due to the front slot position, my EGW base is also a little too long at the back to allow the barrel to lock up, it hangs over the barrel face slightly!!   ::)

Tim

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Warne base? It appears to be steel, however I don't know the dimensions of it or if it's worth the $. I have heard Warne products are good. Best regards, Tony. Not that it would need a steel base, it is after all a .22 Hornet and that is a Heavy barrel for a .22.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
There's a pic of the Warne tactical base in the FAQs, I have one on my 6.5x55 Ultra, nice steel base, but not really worth the extra money it costs either. My favorite base is the Leupold #56515 which costs $7, it's in the FAQs also along with all the others as I've stated too many times before.  :-X

Tim

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
Thanks for your patience with my 50,000 questions.   ;D Have a nice evening all.  :)

Ah, It looks like the H&R standard is the one I am looking for.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
i have two handis rigged with the simmons shotgun(2.5x20mm), both with the weaver base, both with low rings and the scope in front of the hammer. I did cut a rear slot in the base to make the rings work right but it's quick and easy on a table saw

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:30:58 AM »
i have two handis rigged with the simmons shotgun(2.5x20mm), both with the weaver base, both with low rings and the scope in front of the hammer. I did cut a rear slot in the base to make the rings work right but it's quick and easy on a table saw

Thanks for the tip, I had one guy on another forum tell me I would be 'pooched' as the exact base you are talking about does not contain enough cross slots!  ;D :P

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »
I to used the weaver #82 on a 45-70 cut a new rear slot and have a Simmons 4X32 pro diamond sitting ahead of the hammer.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
Even though Im partial to the H&R base I havent seen nor heard of a Weaver 82 that has failed in any way. They must have had a gozillion of them made since they have been selling that same model without enough slots about forever.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline fat tony

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
What a beautiful carbine spike! :) the scope looks really good on there. The base looks very solid indeed. Have a great weekend everyone. ;)

Offline JDB

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
how much eye relief is required to mount one forward of the hammer? I have a hornet also and have been looking at scoping options but it seems most shotgun scopes dont have much more eye relief then your average riflescope. is a handgun scope an option?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
eye relief is a mute point with a red dot

my  son has a pistol scope on a 357 handi
its a little too  close to be optimal  but works

has  any one tried a ''scout scope''  [intermediated eye relief]
 set out as far  as they can with out a special base??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
how much eye relief is required to mount one forward of the hammer? I have a hornet also and have been looking at scoping options but it seems most shotgun scopes dont have much more eye relief then your average riflescope. is a handgun scope an option?

See the scout mount links in the FAQs, 5-6" will do with a scope mounted just ahead of the hammer, more for an actual scout mount with the scope mounted mid barrel.

Tim