Author Topic: How Bad Do The Ultra Light Slug Guns Recoil?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline retfed

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My Son 1LT
How Bad Do The Ultra Light Slug Guns Recoil?
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
The ultra light are 3 pounds lighter than the standard slug guns. Just how much harder do they recoil?. I am looking at the 20 ga Ultra Light for shotgun only counties in my home state of Virginia. I have either a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot sight or a vintage Bushnell 1.5-4.5x shotgun scope with command post.
"People don't come preassembled, but are glued together by life"
Joseph LeDoux

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: How Bad Do The Ultra Light Slug Guns Recoil?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
Mine will get your attention and hurts like hell at the bench but don't notice shooting at game. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline retfed

• My Son 1LT
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:54:23 AM »
Which Ultra Light do you have, the 20 or the 12 gauge?
Joseph LeDoux

Offline hamneggs

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:37 AM »
I have an older 20 ultra which is the same as the current compact. Not bad off the bags and not a prob in the field with 2-3/4 SSTs....no need for the 3s. I have a full size scope,steel rings for added weight and 10oz of shrink wrapped#6 lead in the stock bolt recess so almost a 8lb package. Unless you are really recoil sensitive you should not have a prob.
Enjoy it.

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:40:45 AM »
All of them. I do not like recoil and they all kick the hell out of me. But that is the nature of the beast. You can add the wieght but that defeats the purpose of the ultra light . The regular ultra slug guns were just to heavy to carry all day for me . Once you get them sighted in it ain't like your gonna use it a lot from the bench for target shooting. And when your out hunting with them your not gonna be shooting it more than a few times. You will be hard pressed to find a more accurate slug gun and that includes the $1000 latest greatest gonna kill your biggest buck ever gun. I shoot mostly reduced recoil Buckhammers in mine.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline hamneggs

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:14:01 AM »
I wouldn't say that adding weight defeats the purpose,I'd say it makes the gun a more user friendly piece instead of lugging around a 12 lb anchor all day. In my opinion the ultra light "slug"is kind of a joke anyhow....ever heard of an Ultralight .458 ? Slug and  Ultra-Light should not be used in the same sentence! The extra weight in the stock seems to give mine a better balance when I throw it up....they are light in the ass with those heavier barrel profiles.
That being said i still say get it! Great shooter and not meant to be a target gun...meant to be a Whitetails nightmare.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
My old 12ga. goes about 5.25# and is a visious kicking beast with the std. offerings of Foster slug loads, 1oz.@1600fps). I would prefer a 20!, but you gotta dance with who ya brung.......
So, I swapped out the hard pad stock for a recoil pad equiped one (a MUST have), tried buttstock weight and didnt like it, then added a slip on recoil pad over the existing one. I will not shoot it off the bench because I dont shoot off a bench in the field, and you will react to the recoil impulse differently. You want to know where the POI is when you actually use it.
Then, when you pull the trigger, dont tense up, stay loose and rock with it. If you tense up in anticipation of the kick it is gonna hurt (most of us mortals, anyway).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline retfed

• My Son 1LT
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
Thank you for all of your input and points.
A few years back, I had to shoot my old 16ga Savage M940 single shot quite a bit over several weeks, trying to get it sighted in. It hurt, but not for long.
As a kid, I never remember my father sighting in our shotguns before the season (Western NY, slug only). Never understood why I missed so many deer as a kid. It had a full choke which didn't help but then even after having it bored out to improved cylinder it didn't shoot.
Late 80's I missed a kneeling, broad side 45 yard shot at a big VA 6 pointer. After I became a LEO, finally got some range time with it and discovered it shot 24" low and 18" left at 50 yards. A machinist who worked for me clamped the chamber end into his biggest lathe. You should have seen how the muzzle end orbited. He started whacking on the muzzle end with a 5 pound plastic mallet until it was true. He said where he grew up in GA his Fathers buddies would put the end of their single shots shotguns in a crook of a tree and flex them until they shot to point of aim. I was overcome with the no (censored word). But then I learned how the FBI used to sight in their issued, 4” fixed sight S&W Model 10s. Put the frame into a padded vise and whack the end of the barrel with a leather covered lead billy.
I am almost 60 now and 45 years later the little Savage is the reason I love to carry a single shot in the woods and why I decided to try the Ultra Light 20ga. But this time I will overcome my now poor eye sight with a vintage Bushnell ScopeChief 1.5-4.5 scope. The same one I bought used and had mounted on my Dad's Browning 20ga B-80. Surprise, he took deer the next three years in a row, but wouldn't admit I had anything to do with it.  ;)
 I’ll report back later this summer, sore shoulder or not.
Joseph LeDoux

Offline hamneggs

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
I'm 61 and it works for me so I hope it works well for you.
Enjoyed your story.......Many a gun was tuned with a mallet and a wooden block by my late cousin who was a career armorer with Interarms and later the FBI at Quantico.

Good luck and I'll await your results.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
I wouldn't say that adding weight defeats the purpose,I'd say it makes the gun a more user friendly piece instead of lugging around a 12 lb anchor all day. In my opinion the ultra light "slug"is kind of a joke anyhow....ever heard of an Ultralight .458 ? Slug and  Ultra-Light should not be used in the same sentence! The extra weight in the stock seems to give mine a better balance when I throw it up....they are light in the ass with those heavier barrel profiles.
That being said i still say get it! Great shooter and not meant to be a target gun...meant to be a Whitetails nightmare.

Hamm and Eggs, Are you referring to the 5 lb. Ultralight slug gun (ULSH)or the Ultra Slug Hunter (USH) which at it's lightest is around 8 lbs in the youth model to 10 plus lbs. in the USH?
The Tracker II is another light gun like the ULSH that weighs just over 5 lbs.

Ham and Eggs, Just in a days work for the chicken, but a life changing commitment for the pig ;D

Offline hamneggs

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
Carbine, none of the above! I have a mid 90s H&R Ultra slug 20,old style rifling built on matte sb-1 frame with 22in barrel ,lighter profile than more recent Ultras.  Only made a couple years.
I think it's the same package that has been brought back as the Ultra light?
It's sweet.

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:10 AM »
I think there are several vaiations out there with rifle bbl's. I got 3 differant 20ga bbl sittin right next to me and had one of the first run of the ultragon Ultra Light Slug Hunters it had rifle sights and was D&T for scope mount was done on a Pardner bbl. Sold that to a guy that just had to have one :). What I use now is a 24" rifled  Pardner TrackerII with soldered sights and has been D&T. I have put the Handi Grip stocks on it that helps some with recoil. The other 2 I am building for my brother and nephew one is the new Ultragon bbl 24" no sights w/scope mount no name on bbl just the warning and 20ga rifled bore stamped. The other one has 20ga Pardner TrackerII SB1 with the warning stamped on the 24" bbl it is the old rifling with no sights just scope mount. I have not seen a 22" rifled 20ga. They are all 5#'s or so.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
Carbine, none of the above! I have a mid 90s H&R Ultra slug 20,old style rifling built on matte sb-1 frame with 22in barrel ,lighter profile than more recent Ultras.  Only made a couple years.
It's sweet.

Hamm and Eggs, I would like to see a pic of what you have there. From what I can tell you might have a 20 ga USH youth built or fitted on an sb2 frame. Mighta had a rifle barrel with it at one time. Or a glorified NEF Tracker II type labled H&R. Possibly a custom gun of sorts.

Anyway if you can post a pic it would be appreciated.

Offline hamneggs

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:02 AM »
It's sweet.

Hamm and Eggs, I would like to see a pic of what you have there. From what I can tell you might have a 20 ga USH youth built or fitted on an sb2 frame. Mighta had a rifle barrel with it at one time. Or a glorified NEF Tracker II type labled H&R. Possibly a custom gun of sorts.

It's sweet.

Nope...she's all factory on a SB1 frame.H&R not NEF marked.Listed in the Blue book-USH 20ga only,22in. Made from 96-99.
It's the same package that is marketed now as the "compact" and does have the short pull stock.
I'll get a post up.Don't have a scale now but seems to me it weighed something under 6 before scope.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
Not too much harder than a .300 Winchester Mag Encore. Way, way more than a 30-06 Handi.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
retfed,

Link below is to a recoil calculator that let's you do a side by side comparison of two different loads/gun.  You could plug in the numbers for your favorite CF deer rifle & then plug numbers for the ultra light slug with the ammo you plan to use.  Compare the results and see how much greater (if?) the recoil of the slug gun is than your rifle.

BB

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.