Author Topic: totaly ot  (Read 1634 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
totaly ot
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
yeah I know this is totaly off topic
but I just couldnt resist to share it with you guys .

its a short note from my son , but the computer translation sucks
hope you still understand it

Översättning från svenska till engelska

Operation SHARIKI are final after 11 days.

We left Sheberghan, Afghanistan on 13th February for supporting Afghan-led operation, the operation was to open the way down to Darzab to Kuna lift them out of the ANA parts that were there and replace them with new, healthy men.

All in all, we were about 400 men with vehicles set off, taking the lead, it was an Afghan engineer company that worked with the search path and find the bombs in the road.

Day one found them one of them blew up on the spot. vägsök of this size is incredibly slow. we got about 2 mil first day thereafter, we entered into night location.

Day 2 ended Afghan Border Police in breach of the insurgents up there on the hills surrounding the road, we, the Swedish unit supports them with rocket propelled grenades, sniper rifles and small caliber weapons.
Night of day 2 was firing them our night location for about 45minuter, no Swedish vehicles damaged but there were no hits in a Norwegian car that was involved. It was also called into CAS as ordonanser let go of the enemy's battle electromagnetic emissions. after it stopped bullets against our position.

Day 3 was relatively quiet, no IED finds and no attacks except a small fire in the morning when we left the night location.

Day four found them most ied'er and it was easier contrary, ANA fired on enemy positions with mortars. And at night fired on them, our night location again. Swedish units called in air and let go 3ton orderlies of their group.

Day 5 was the easier battles again and we arrived at the Afghan FOB'en in Qush Teppah. FOB'en them fired on at night but ANA returned fire and the battle subsided quickly.

Day 6, we are left on foben due to bad weather, my group decides to start digging a magnificent ståvärn.

Dag7 lunch, we began inching from qush Tepe down to darzab, dark time to arrive before we arrived and the battle becomes a fact, it flies tracer projectiles over the heads of most places ANA and we are returning fire against targets that are visible .. we call the CAS and it does show of force. will finally presented to the CFB in darzab.

Day 8 we have a day of recovery on the CFB. laws hot food for the first time in the raw materials we have purchased from the local market. The other days we were living on dried food.

Day 9, we picked out a group of hellikopter of them were home on leave, and it came down to a group to fill their site from our sister company in sar e pole.

Day 10, we start back rattle to FOBen in Qush Teppah, we get into combat in a village called gardan same village that we were shot from a few nights earlier when we went to darzab. A vehicle stuck in a wadi and a break when we try to salvage it, we shoot GRG once again against the enemy in order to neutralize them and give us breathing space. the bullets whistling over his head once more, and most vehicles get more hits, no Swedes injured. them shell us from three different directions at once, get to the end the vehicles from wadin and front advancing towards FOBen in Qush Teppah. We call upon the air once more and let them ordonanser the insurgents. finally arrived at FOBen we get us a night of good sleep spent in Keron tent with propane torch to drive out moisture and cold.

Day 11. We begin the advances towards Sheberghan, Afghanistan from FOBen in Qush Teppah, before we reach the village pestha Mazar, we have a threat warning from the Afghan head. High risk of ambushes with rpg in the village. Our group frodon rolls in the last cookie that arrives in the village we are a group of eight vehicles, when they are 100 meters left of the village of insurgents opened fire with several RPG and PKM machine guns at us from inside the village, an rpg bouncing in a car and detornerar just meters next to the vehicle. our group's second car being shot with rpg but it misses and goes over and over our vehicle and detonate in the end 10meter diagonally left in front of our car. cars at the rear of the colon takes several hits in the cars of small arms fire. It takes time for us to get out of kill zone and move us to the outside of the city. but once out, we turn up to the village again and is part of a defensive position, we observe the city with binoculars to help identify where the opponent is. the bullets still fly past our heads and all the towers archers at lower positions while it slowly scans the area with binoculars. we get shot at again with rpg which fortunately is not near any Swedish unit, we are returning fire and fighting 5-8pcs insurgents who fired at us from the village. We drag our battle positions and begin our vehicles cruising home to Sheberghan, Afghanistan. Reaches the end of Sheba at 9tiden in the evening.

It is difficult to describe the feeling and ans try to recount what we've been through during those days. But I hope I managed to convey a ilten picture of what they are, the Swedish soldier exposed to and experience during their 6månader down in afghansitan.

sorry moderators if Im totaly off topic now , you can remove it if you wish
I just had to share this info with someone .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: totaly ot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »
Wow Dan!  All this on top of what you are going through.  I'm thinking of you.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »
thanks
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Looks on topic to me.....

I remember back in 91 when I worked with the Swedish UNPFOR in Yugoslvia...they almost  shot me one night.  Tough bunch of Soldiers.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Dan,  Thankyou for the update from your son.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:47 PM »
could be on topic as they use both 20 and 40 mm cannons , even if they aint pre 1899  ;D

here is the last update

Översättning från svenska till engelska

Quick Reaction Unit, that's what my group was assigned the night before last less than 24 hours after we arrived home from Darzab.
Our sister company had fallen down a cliff with one of their rg 32 s and the car was totally destroyed and needed to be salvaged, no injuries fortunately.

http://www.baesystems.com/ProductsServices/l_and_a_ls_rg32m.html

We went from camp Monitor at 9:15 pm and rolled in the principles put in place whole night on the mass of small roads around the mountains to bring us down. one road trail section of nowhere and the other had the major obstacles that we could pull out of the truck.

It also sent a QRU strength from Camp Northern Lights in Mazar e Sharif betående of bgbv90 and strf9040c and JTAC.
Because of that we had to have better traction than the other QRU unit had so made them out to the scene an hour earlier than us.

2 hours into the recovery process becomes first those salvaged units and 90vagnen fired upon by RPG and small arms, shortly after their initial eldrstid it becomes even our two vehicles fired at by RPG and small arms. 90 wagon returning fire and nerkämpar enemy, we answer our enemies with rocket propelled grenades, heavy machine gun and machine gun 58th

Firefight goes on for about 25 minutes.

Once the car has been in place on the truck we began the long trek home, a distance of 80 miles which should take a few hours if conditions had been good, we were left unfortunately over for one night and got to spend it in the car.
And the next morning we woke up and had 6 inches snow that made our advance even more difficult and time consuming.

and this is his third mission down there
on top of all this I must quit smoking now  :-\

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
Dan -

TOTALLY ON-TOPIC.  Theses are experiences that supercede the rules.  We are honored.  It's enough to give one a heart attack - the emotions run deep, intense, yet there is nothing you can do except pray and thank God for life!  Some folks have experienced these things first-hand; most of us have not.  Thanks to you and your son!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:54 AM »
I hope he comes home safe and well Dan.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »
me toooo  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »
Dan ,Karl is an inspiration . Good to hear from him .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:49 AM »
Dan,

Always nice to hear it from someone who is taking the fight to our enemies,
I would say from his letters it has to be frustrating to have people taking pot shots
at them and not having a lot of solid targets to to hit back at, I was watching a program
where one of our army outpost is under constant sniping they shoot back at the hill side
most of the time with little result..... this is a strange war - another one where it's hard to
tell the friendlies from the foe. Tell Karl there are people who apreciate his service to his
country and to the overall effort against the terrorists. I'll be keeping him and his unit in
my prayers for continued protection.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
and this is his third mission down there
on top of all this I must quit smoking now  {quote}

Good luck with the smoking thing.  I understand it can be hard.  I have never smoked but my brother does and is having a hard time.  There are others here who will say the same thing.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
Dan,

Ask Karl if he or his buddies need anything.  Something we could send from the states and not get either party in trouble. Though that does limit the choices.  ;)

"let them ordonanser the insurgents"  Sounds like supporting arms to me. On Topic
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Dan, will say a prayer for your son, :), and believe me, the best way to quit smoking is cold turkey! ;D  Just flip that little switch in your brain that says you have to have one, turn it off, and don't look back! I did after 25 years, and my wife did after almost 40 years! It only is hard for the first week or so, then you will really thank yourself! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
rifleman : that was american air support , they got a real close cooperation with the american units .
they used the air support quite frequently for the last months
the swedes just built a new remote camp wich they share with american helicopter units and marines
they are in the middle of nowhere now , there it havent been any government forces at all for many years so the tallibans ruled that place for several years without any disturbance from the afgha police or military .
they have been too afraid to go there at all until now when they got support from the us and swedish forces .
so now they got a lot to clean up there .
a hughe part of the countries total income comes from the opium in that area .

boom:  you are totally right, but its tough after approximately 38 years .
VERY TOUGH 
but it must be done
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
back on R&R
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
now hes home for 3 weeks
check out what website he reads  ;D
ok  , just wednesday but its a good reason to celebrate any way
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
Well Karl WELCOME HOME!

And thank you for your service.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
hello guys and thank you for your support. It´s good to be home even if it´s only for a few weeks.
so as my father is saying i have been deployed 2 times before and this time the security has changed radicaly from ok to worse atleast in the northern parts were we swedes work and have our area of responsibility. i guess we arent used to the whole firefighting ting. But now the swedish soldiers are building upp there own oppinion on how the war should be fought and how we should practice to get the best pre deployment education there is.

but there is also things that changes to the better, the things that you and I take for granted is now being offerd to the afghans aswell. like hospitals, electricity, law and order, education etc etc.

Im really greatfull to been given the chance to help people in a country who´s in need. and it has also helped me to develope as a person and to see my own limits as a man.
The biggest experience for Me was to see how your body and mind works when you are under fire from rpg´s and small arms fire. Do you make the right desicions, can you see the whole picture. can you make out who is the enemy and who is civilian.
YES YOU CAN, the body reacts instantly when the bulelts starts hitting your car. i feel like my group havent done one wrong desicion in any of our encounters with the enemy.

I seeing forward to the end of my deployment wich ends this summer.

Best regards Karl
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Welcome home, Karl!!
Enjoy your time at home with your dad.
Thankyou for your service!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
Karl -

THANKS for your service - we are supporting you with prayer.  Let us know what else we can do, keep us posted.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
I echo that.  Thank you very much for your service. Good luck and God bless you and all your buddies, of all the NATO participating countries. It was not your country that was directly attacked on 9/11, but you have answered the call anyway and taken the fight to the enemy. We truly appreciate that.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
"...taken the fight to the enemy." Well said, Mike H., and Karl, thank you so much for your service! If it's not too far off topic, folks are starting to understand that it is a common enemy to us all, and any country joining us in the fight is exposing their boys to the risk... Here in the U.S. we will be "Ringing in the Spring" this weekend, and with that also will go our prayers for all the brave fighting forces united in our common struggle.   BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »
Dan,
I'm glad Karl is back home for some well deserved R&R.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »
it sure feels good to have him back home in sweden again even if its just for a few weeks
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:24 AM »
Welcome home  Karl, thank you for your service to your country and your world.

I worked with Swedish UNPFOR in  Macedonia in 1992,  they were some Top soldiers,

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Karl,
Welcome home.  Enjoy your Leave. 
Upon your return to "Indian Country", as the old Cowboys on the American Frontier would say: 
The hearts and prayers of the civilized world are with you & your buddies.

I've spent some time in military Avaition myself, and have known several Pilots and Aircrew
of all generations- from WWII to now.
I'd encourage you not to be reluctant, or bashfull about calling down Air Support. 
Every single one of those Pilots and Crewmembers that I've ever met-
is more than eager to support our forces on the ground by delivering a plane load of ordanance to the enemies of Freedom.

And, you'd be doing them a favor also.
The plane uses less fuel, is easier to fly without a combat load,
and its alot less stress on the Pilot's AND the Groundcrew's nerves to land one that doesn't
have a few tons of bombs & other assorted High Explosives hanging under the wings. 
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.