Author Topic: Problem with COL and 270 Win  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Problem with COL and 270 Win
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »
I reload for a lot of my pistols and never have this problem, but have very little experience with rifle calibers.

I prepared a number of cases for 270 Win and tried to set up a dummy round using 130GR. SPITZER BTSP bullets  by Nosler  before actually loading any.
The COL was supposed to be 3.280 and I set it up that way twice.  But both times when I tried to crimp the bullet the COL after crimping was 3.270 and 3.265 which has me confused.  I am using RCBS dies and set the crimping step as a separate step from the seating step. I followed all the normal instructions in the box for this two die set.  The seating stem was backed all the way up to the max point prior to crimping both times. Both times there seemed to be adequate neck tension on the bullet since it wouldn't move easily before the crimp step.

It seems to me like I am making an error in setting up the die body to crimp but I can't tell where I messed up.

Thanks.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Problem with COL and 270 Win
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
I don't crimp with a bolt action rifle my COL on my pre war md 70 is 3.270 which is .025 off the lans.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:16 AM »
I was considering not crimping these at all since I am shooting a Handirifle, but the factory ammo all has a very tight crimp.

I think I will do another dummy round tonite and go very slowly with each step to see if I can determine the problem. This is on a single stage Lyman press.
The brass is all R.P and all the same size, chamfer inside and out, all the usual steps for case prep. The bullet does not have a cannelure.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:28:25 AM »
If me I would take the die apart and clean it, the bottle neck dies being  steel come threw with a little more oil in them, one other thing I would look at, are you getting all the case lube off your cases prior to seating your bullets.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
Sounds like too much crimp to me. But I agree, crimping generally is not necessarry for most rifle calibers. Just cause the factory does it is not good reason. Plain truth is if factory was good enough, we wouldn't reload would we. ;)

If you want to crimp and must maintain the OAL. Seat about .005 to .008 long and bullet will crimp to your desired length. But even then I feel you are worrying too much about it.

Don't crimp for this caliber and your problems will go away. As stated, it is not needed.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:28:34 AM »
CW I think I will avoid the crimp step and see how they shoot.
But why would the crimping operation make the OAL that much smaller if the seating stem is up all the way? I must be missing something in my understanding about how this works.

Hornady- that is a good point I know there is more case lube on that dummy round than should be prior to seating the bullet. How would that affect the OAL though?

Thanks.
Joe

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
Well, a properly adjusted crimp shouldn't effect OAL very much at all but if your crimp is as heavy as I think it's compressing everything the difference between your two numbers. 

A bit more bullet retention can be achieved by measuring your expander ball and carefully removing a bit from it's diameter. Chuck it up in a drill press. Kinda important to keep it round ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:29 AM »
The only reason I suggested the bullet lube you said the dies were adjusted properly. If so and the cases have all been trimmed properly too the same length, if not some will be over crimped. If say the die was set with a short case.
 I have seen small differences in
C O A L with dies that have a build up of lube, I believe the bullet dose not start squarely in the seater plug, and this leads to bullet run out.
This being a Handi rifle, single shot I too would not crimp the bullets,
 Just me but the only rifle rounds I crimp are hunting rifle rounds in box or tube Magazines. Or Semi autos, And then only with cannelure bullets. Others do put a light crimp on non – cannelure bullets, but it is very easy too over crimp them.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:31:49 AM »
Thanks for the explanations. This was very helpful. I think I will try some without crimping and see how they shoot. Will give a range report.

Joe

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
i think your crimping to much and smashing your cases down.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
Yeah I loaded up all the test rounds without crimping and they look fine. I am looking forward to shooting for groups but won't get to do that for at least a week.  :(