Author Topic: Vortex scopes air-rifle safe?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Vortex scopes air-rifle safe?
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »
I see Vortex makes an adjustable objective scope that adjusts parallax down to 10 yards.  That would be great for air-rifle use. 

Does anyone know if they were designed to stand up to a springer style air rifle?

Silvertp

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Vortex scopes air-rifle safe?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
DO NOT TRY.  totally different type of recoil involved. you have both fwd and aft recoil from an air rifle.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »
I wouldnt worry to much about it. It isnt like your going out on a once in a lifetime hunt with an air gun and vortex has one of the best warantees in the bussiness. I here storys all the time about air guns tearing up scopes but ive got a piston gun here that has had i dont know how many pds of pellets through it and it wears a cheap 4x bushnell banner and its never given me a lick of problems.
blue lives matter

Offline Charcoal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:34:03 AM »
I called Vortex about this last year and they stated yes.I was very specific that it was for spring-piston air rifles.They told me I could use any Vortex scope.If there is a problem Vortex has an excellent customer service reputation.I normanlly use Leupolds because they also rate their scopes for spingers and will fix or replace no problem.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
Thanks all for your replies.  I had asked a Vortex dealer a few weeks ago and he didn't have an answer.

Charcoal...appreciate your passing on what Vortex had to say about "springer" safe scope construction.  Curious if you have tried one of their scopes on your air rifle yet?  I think I may try one this summer.  I noticed the starlings are starting to make their way north...pretty soon I'll have a "target rich environment".

Offline Charcoal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
I went with their Crossfire 4-12x40AO fine crosshair model for my RWS 52 in .22.So far so good.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-4-12x40-ao-riflescope-fine-crosshair-reticle