Author Topic: New 1871 Buffalo Classic Shoots Very Low  (Read 484 times)

Offline DownRangeDan

• Trade Count: (0)
New 1871 Buffalo Classic Shoots Very Low
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
I just bought a new 1871 BC 45-70. It seems to shoot pretty well. However, with the rear Williams sight set all the way "high" (actually I have it set past the highest graduation mark) it shoots about 3" low at 100 yds. It also shoots low at 50yds. It has the tallest (.584") Lyman 17A globe sight on the front. It appears that it should have been fitted with the medium height Lyman globe (.494"). I have called H&R a couple of times but so far all I get is the run around and no info. On one call the rep just outright told me that if I want the gun to shoot right I will have to buy a new sight.

Is it asking too much to expect a new firearm to at least have the capability of shooting to somewhere near the point of aim?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New 1871 Buffalo Classic Shoots Very Low
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
Welcome! You have a couple choices, buy a lower front sight, or a new rear sight with more travel like the Williams FP-TK, or shim the WGRS sight, you aren't the first to go down the path you're on, it's a well worn path, I talked with H&R 6yrs ago when I bought my first BC and again with their marketing manager in 2007 or 2008 about the same problem, nothing has changed.  ::) Spend some time in the FAQs, lots of info you need to know as well as sight info for the BC.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,75253.msg463805.html#msg463805
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline michstew

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
Hi. Ask Andy at Skinner Sights, he knows the sight business. Great person to deal with and he makes a really great line of sights.  michstew

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
All you need is something to shim the rear sight base up a bit to get you -0-ed at the short range and leave you up adjustment for farther on out. A little eyeballin' of the amount needed and maybe a bit of trial and error will get you there at no more expense than for a couple of longer mounting screws. One fellow used a piece of PCV, I think. BTW, when you pull the sight off clean the locktite out of the bottoms of the holes, you will be glad you did.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974