Author Topic: Wanted:Auto handgun recommendation  (Read 1365 times)

Offline schunter1128

• Trade Count: (0)
Wanted:Auto handgun recommendation
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
Shopping around for my first auto handgun for the house and truck. Not for conceled carry. Prefered calibers 9mm or .40. Available funds around $600. Thanks for your feedback.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Wanted:Auto handgun recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »
Glock
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline oldfort

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
You will get lots of advice on this one. My favorite 9mm is the Steyr M9A1. I sleep with one with a laser. No bells or whistles. Outstanding 15rd mag firearm with a very light DAO trigger. I also like the CZ75. No problems with a Glock, either. Good luck.

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
Stick with name brands and buy the one that fits your hand and comes up to point of aim every time you bring it up to a firing position.  For me that gun is the XD line from Springfield.
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:14:36 AM »
I have a Sig 229, Springfield XD and a Ruger SR9c and they all work great for me. Had a Glock 19 as well.  I say look at them all, and see if someone you know has some 9mm's you can shoot. Then see which one you personally like the best.  We all have different reason as to why we like what we do.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:31:57 AM »
Oh boy!! There is a plethora of good choices!!!!

New I agree Glock is an excellent choice! A used Sig 229 is another. My first choice is always a 1911, but the nines tend to be heavy and fourtys non existent. A hi power would also fit the bill for a more "retro" quality piece.

What ever you end up with shoot it allot with the ammo your gonna carry.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:58:18 AM »
I have handled several 9mm's and I like the Springfield XD or XDM.  I read reviews on line from several gun magazines and someone put the Springfield through the ringer.  Shot it 15,000 times without a failure, put it in mud, water, dust, etc.  Still fired.  It holds 18 rounds in the magazine.  The article I read was Springfield took the ergonomics of  the Browning High Power, the synthetic reciever of the Glock, and the rails of the 1911 and put it all into one gun. 

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
To a large degree it's going to come down to personal preferences.  There are a lot of good choices in that budget range.

The CZ-75, Glock, S&W M&P, FNP, SIG, Ruger, and a plethora of other guns are all perfectly good firearms that would meet the basic criteria you mentioned.

Really hard to get too specific without going down a long checklist of things:

Do you want a polymer, alloy, or steel frame?
Do you prefer hammer-fired or striker-fired guns?
If hammer-fired, single action, double action, or double action only?
Do you care about magazine capacity (and if so, what's the minimum number of rounds you want)?
Do you want a thumb safety or not?
Do you want a magazine disconnect?
Do you want a loaded chamber indication?
Do you care if the gun is US manufactured or not?
Do you intend to spend close to your full budget or is that just an upper limit and you'd prefer to save money if you can without sacrificing quality?

And if the answer to most of the above is either "I don't know" or "I don't care", then I'd say to go ahead and get a Glock ;).  I don't even own one.  I've shot them, but don't own one.  They're very reliable and simple to operate.

Offline Capt Rick Hiott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
Before you buy a gun,,,do a google search for Glock torture test. Here is one of them.  Its amazing what this gun can do!

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item
Capt Rick Hiott
Charleston,SC

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
I agree with the rest...handle a few before you buy and buy a name brand.  Don't be a fraid of used either..pick one you like. 

BTW...Beretta 92? stainless (inox) are available again in 40cal.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
A good used Glock is about as cost effective as one can get . They start ugly so there is little concern about finish . They are easy to make go bang even with a bad trigger IMHO. In 40 S&W they make good defense guns . And when you decide to step up in the handgun world you will not have invested to much as here a good used G23 or G22 W/three mags sell for $349.00
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
See how the CZ75 in 9mm luger fits in your hand.  These are top shelf quality pistols and i like the double action first shot on the auto's.  You can chamber it with no need to carry it cocked n locked.  The hammer can't hit the firing pin unless you pull the trigger and the hammer goes back first.  With all the CZ pistols that i have i have never had one jam yet.  I can't say that about all my 1911's.                       CZY

BTW;  Right now the CZ82 czech military surplus pistol in 9mm makarov is being offered for $219 right now.  There in excellent to very good condition and will make great awesome shooters at an affordable cost.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Glock 22 full size or Glock 23 mid size. One might feel best in your hand. But as they say best to hold them and decide which feels right in your hand. One of the things I like best about a Glock is there are no controls to remember like on many. Just like a revolver pull the trigger and it goes bang.

More police departments use them than all the rest combine I suspect. Must be a reason.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
[
This is sound advise from Redhawk. I've drooled over many a handgun until I actually held and shot them only to be totally disappointed after the experience. Different strokes for different folks. In the end only you can determine what's best for you?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Brett

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
When I decided I wanted to get a full sized .40 for home defense and casual target shooting my criteria was a polymer frame for the weight savings and a simple firing system, i.e.; no external safeties just point and shoot like the revolvers I'm accustomed to.   I also wanted a name brand with a good track record for quality and dependability as well as good customer service should the need arise.

I narrowed the choices down to striker fired pistols by Glock, Ruger, Springfield and S&W.  After handling all of them and shooting some of them I concluded the M&P .40 felt the best and pointed most naturally for me.  The fact that the M&P is made right here in the US of A was a bonus.

Like others have said;  Decide what it is you want the gun for and what you expect of it.  Is it for home defense, concealed carry, casual target shooting or competition.  Do your research to narrow the field down to guns that fit that need.  Then go out and handle (shoot if possible) the guns that fit your criteria before you make your final decision.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline schunter1128

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Thanks for everyone's recommendations!  Now out to Shooter's Choice to handle/shoot some auto's.

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
1911 been around 100yrs.

bighemidaddy

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »
Do yourself a favor and try a SIG PRO2022 Has as good a trigger as you will find on a DA/SA pistol anywhere. It is built robustly, huge steel rails in a polimer frame. Three different grip sizes are available, Small (normal human), Medium (large adult male), and Large (Shaq). They can be had for roughly < $500.

For what it is worth they are the sidearm of the French military through 2022. For whatever reason they were not adopted by US consumers too well, most folks wanting a SIG want a classic not a Tupperware gun. Fine by me as it has kept the price very reasonable for what you are getting.

Down side is that they are a bit bulky for CCW and holster selection is somewhat limited.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
If 9mm is the choice then I also suggest the CZ75.  I've shot many different 9mm handguns, I own a CZ75.  However, whatever the choice make sure it fits your hand.

Larry Gibson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »
lots of good choises out there. Sorry glock fans but i just detest them. Not that there not a great gun as theres probably nothing more reliable but there uglier then snot and just dont point naturaly for this old 1911 gun. A ruger is but ugly but reliable and probably the best bang for the buck out there. The czs are great guns until something goes wrong and you have to send them back for repair. MY buddy is going through it right now and his gun has been in a black  hole for over 6 months. I like sigs and cant find a bad word to say about them and will say the same about smith m&ps. To me the cadilac of the 9mms has allways been the browning high powder. Its a bit big for ccw but its built like a swiss watch. Nice thing for me is the controls are the same as a 1911 and it makes it a natural for a 1911 guy.
blue lives matter

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 03:58:43 AM »
Interesting thread:

I use have two pistols and a revolver to satisfy my needs;

A Smith-Wesson Airweight loaded with .38 Special Plus P. loads for concealed carry and for the bedside.
A Star Firestar M43 in 9 M/M with a 15 shot magazine for a truck gun.
A Star Meg Star .45 ACP with a 12 shot magazine near the back door to the house.

The Firestar points and shoots on a par with the CZ75, is very accurate and has proven to be reliable.
The Meg Star is heavy and has a large frame that fits my oversized hand, recoil is negligable due to its weight, and since I don't carry it is an excellent house gun.

For hunting including deer I use a L-Frame Smith-Wesson .357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel,  If you place your shots correctly the .357 is a good deer killer.   I have a .44 Magnum, but perfer the .357 due to it's lighter recoil.

You need at least two, one for your vehicle and one to always have at home, otherwise you may find that its in the vehicle when you needed it at home or at home when you are in the vehicle.

Of the newer generation guns I perfer the SIGS.   Glocks don't point or feel good in my hand.

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: Semi-Auto handgun recommendation
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 04:24:23 AM »
Several good semi-auto handguns have been suggested.